pixeltracker

Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?

Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
Zeppie2022
#2Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 10:55am

I would say "Lion King" due to the brilliance of Julie Taymor and excellent musical score of Elton John and Tim Rice.

lapinitsa Profile Photo
lapinitsa
#3Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:02am

A Little Night Music

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#4Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:05am

Waitress seems to be the best for me! They kept the storyline the same and Sara wrote a fantastic score! It will forever be in my top five favorite musicals! I definitely would like to direct a production of it one day! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jarethan
#5Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:08am

First:  MAME, but only with Angela Lansbury

Second:  The Producers, but only with Nathan Lane

NOT dependent on the lead: NINE

Updated On: 8/5/23 at 11:08 AM

BwayLB
#6Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:47am

I have to say Newsies! I wasn’t a fan of the original movie beforehand. But the dancing, story and music were more than I hoped for.

KevinKlawitter
#7Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 12:07pm

I just wrapped a community theatre production of Kinky Boots, and it was probably one of the more fulfilling experiences I've had as part of a stage musical.

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#8Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 2:09pm

Mame

A Little Night Music

Promises, Promises

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#9Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 2:34pm

The Lion King & The Producers. Though Groundhog Day is very underrated.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#10Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 2:51pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "The Lion King & The Producers. Though Groundhog Day is very underrated."

Groundhog was overrated to me. In fact I disliked Lion King/The Producers too. 

I see a lot of great movies turned into musicals above, such as Kinky Boots, Night Music, Promises, Newsies. But since they were all already mentioned, I want to add a new one: The Wedding Singer, I loved it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#11Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/5/23 at 3:29pm

The Littles: A Little Night Music & Little Shop of Horrors. 

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#12Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/6/23 at 5:16am

The one I've seen the most times is Priscilla.  I always leave on cloud 9 after watching that show, it is so feelgood.  Super cheesy, but wears its heart on its sleeve.  The Producers is amazing, but I've only ever seen that on my TV so I don't have the same emotional attachment to it.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#13Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/6/23 at 9:50am

Does Mame count as "based on a film?"  I thought it was based on a play, that was based on a book, that also happed to get turned into a film.

I didn't vote on the website, but looking through the list there, Sweet Charity stood out as one of my favorite shows.  It was based on a Fellini film "Nights of Cabiria" & if you watch it, it is kind of amazing that anyone would ever think to turn it into a musical comedy.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#14Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/6/23 at 4:32pm

inception said: "Does Mame count as "based on a film?" I thought it was based on a play, that was based on a book, that also happed to get turned into a film."

No, it doesn't

My own favorites are "A Little Night Music", "Nine" and recently "A Bands Visit"

Updated On: 8/6/23 at 04:32 PM

Alex Kulak2
#15Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/6/23 at 5:24pm

My favorite musical of all time is Little Shop of Horrors. There are only a few movie adaptations since then that have truly improved upon their source material. Waitress and Groundhog Day immediately come to mind.

It's more based on the novel than the movie, but The Notebook on stage is the best version of the story by far.

The score for Bridges of Madison County is better music than that crap story ever deserved, and I hope they get a script that does it justice at some point, maybe for Encores.

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#16Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/6/23 at 6:12pm

Scarywarhol said: "The Littles: A Little Night Music & Little Shop of Horrors."

Little Shop of Horrors started on the stage

:edit:  nevermind, I forgot about the original film

Updated On: 8/6/23 at 06:12 PM

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#17Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/6/23 at 6:16pm

I'm going with BEETLEJUICE 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#18Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 12:06am

Is Cabaret based on "I Am A Camera" the play or the film or both?  (as well as the original Isherwood stories) Wikipedia says the play. 

And it appears 110 In The Shade says it is from the play The Rainmaker and not the film version. 

Is Carnival based on the film, Lili, or the Gallico short story - or both?

The Full Monty, Dogfight are two favorite shows - and those are clear musical adaptations of films!

hearthemsing22
#19Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 8:44am

Waitress, Legally Blonde, and Rent 

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#20Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 8:54am

hearthemsing22 said: "Waitress, Legally Blonde, and Rent"

what film is RENT based on? 

pretty sure it is based on the opera La Boheme

Jarethan
#21Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 12:24pm

inception said: "Does Mame count as "based on a film?" I thought it was based on a play, that was based on a book, that also happed to get turned into a film.

I didn't vote on the website, but looking through the list there, Sweet Charity stood out as one of my favorite shows. It was based on a Fellini film "Nights of Cabiria" & if you watch it, it is kind of amazing that anyone would ever think to turn it into a musical comedy.

I wondered about that and then concluded that it probably would not have been done if the Rosalind Russell movie had not been such a huge hit.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#22Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 12:59pm

"The Godfather Trilogy."

Oh, wait...

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

chrishuyen
#23Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 1:11pm

I know the film is a cult classic but I think Heathers the musical vastly improves on it (though that could also just be the things that I like in particular).  Legally Blonde I think also enhances the original story told in the film quite well.

While I haven't watched the original movie, I think Sunset Boulevard is also an amazing piece of theater.

hearthemsing22
#24Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 1:22pm

hak5 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Waitress, Legally Blonde, and Rent"

what film is RENT based on?

pretty sure it is based on the opera La Boheme

"

Whatever. I love Rent. Piss off. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
Posted: 8/7/23 at 3:59pm

Do YOU? This poster said nothing wrong other than pointing out you erred. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.