ellen's stardust

NiceWork2
#1ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 9:58am

this is a bizarre post that i'm writing here.    Look, i'd never been to ellen's before, i know about the history behind the place and there are always long lines there, but i just had never been there before.  Long lines in ny usually mean a place is worth getting into.

finally got in there recently.   it indeed is a pretty nice place.   i wouldn't mean dropping by periodically and getting some food and listening to some hard working people sing.

here's the dilemma.   I'm a big union supporter.   of unions in general, not just theatre-related unions.    I know what went on there several years ago.    is it ok to still patronize that place?   I assume those things are not occuring anymore

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 10:27am

Aside from all the drama that place has endured, who in their right mind, aside from the basic guidebook tourists, would even consider eating there. I’ve not only lived in NYC for 7 years but have been visiting the city since 1972 on a yearly basis and never once did it ever cross my mind to enter that restaurant.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 10:33am

I ate there once about 10 years ago. My little cousin was in town on a theater trip and desperately wanted to eat there, so I figured “what the hell”. The food was completely mediocre, but we had a good time. The place is a total theme park restaurant and if you just except it for what it is, I’m sure you could have a good enough time there. I don’t know one person who’s ever gone there for the food - you go for the environment. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#4ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 10:35am

The food is WAY overpriced, but people should go there to support the singing servers. It is a major tourist trap, so I would suggest just going there once or twice and then being done. Frankly, I prefer the restaurant's counterpart in London, the Theatre Cafe Diner. The same type of establishment. The food is reasonably priced, and the service is wonderful. Not to mention, they, too, have incredibly talented servers singing their hearts out!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#5ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 10:53am

Interesting to see everyone not get or not care what the OP was asking. They aren't asking opinions about the food, or if the experience is "worth it." They've been there. They liked it. They want to go back occasionally.

BUT because they are big supporters of unions, they want to know if the controversies surrounding unionization there persist. They don't want to go to a place that still harasses those trying to organize a union (and I suspect, also don't want to go there if the other harassment that led workers to seek unionization in the first place is still occurring). Does anyone have an answer to that question?

JSquared2
#6ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 11:56am

NiceWork2 said: "this is a bizarre post that i'm writing here. Look, i'd never been to ellen's before, i know about the history behind the place and there are always long lines there, but i just had never been there before. Long lines in ny usually mean a place is worth getting into.

Is that why there are usually long lines pre-theatre to get into the Times Square Olive Garden and Applebees?? 

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#7ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 12:27pm

As someone who takes student groups to these different Times Square establishments...

I have found Gayle's Broadway Rose at the Edison Hotel a more pleasant experience. 

The food is nothing to write home about, but I didn't feel as totally crammed in, and the kids can sing. 

bwayjoey
#8ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 1:11pm

Is Gayle's separate from Friedman's? It looks like they share the same website and menu.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#9ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 4:26pm

joevitus said: "Interesting to see everyone not get or not care what the OP was asking. They aren't asking opinions about the food, or if the experience is "worth it." They've been there. They liked it. They want to go back occasionally.

BUT because they are big supporters of unions, they want to know if the controversies surrounding unionization there persist. They don't want to go to a place that still harasses those trying to organize a union (and I suspect, also don't want to go there if the other harassment that led workers to seek unionization in the first place is still occurring). Does anyone have an answer to that question?
"

Would anyone who is considering posting in this thread please read this post by joevitis first? Thank you.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 4:32pm

I have not heard much news re: Ellen’s management and its treatment of staff or its union busting in the last several years. But that was enough for me to stop suggesting it to visitors to the city. There are plenty of other places to see the embarrassment of talent this city possesses. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ijest22
#11ellen's stardust
Posted: 8/31/23 at 4:47pm

JSquared2 said: "NiceWork2 said: "this is a bizarre post that i'm writing here. Look, i'd never been to ellen's before, i know about the history behind the place and there are always long lines there, but i just had never been there before. Long lines in ny usually mean a place is worth getting into.

Is that why there are usually long lines pre-theatre to get into the Times Square Olive Garden and Applebees??

I know you’re joking, but I live on the same stretch of Broadway as all of those restaurants, and although there is always a line at Ellen’s, and usually a long one, there is literally never a line at Applebees or  Olive Garden.  There is sometimes a line at Krispy Kreme. 

"