pixeltracker

Smash The Musical: First Reading

Smash The Musical: First Reading

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/22/22 at 4:06pm

via Marc Shaiman's FB page.  

So, this past Friday, we had a reading of “SMASH -The Musical”, a new Broadway show that takes place, well, to be au courant, in a SMASH “multiverse". Surrounded by a hysterical script by Bob Martin & Rick Elice, Scott Wittman & I got to hear our songs for BOMBSHELL (the Marilyn Monroe Musical we wrote for SMASH) come alive again, with a brilliant gathering of performers. Who knows if we’ll ever get a cast like the one we had on Friday, but let me tell you, if you wanna hear if your script is working, get Brooks Ashmanskas, Beth Leavel, Daniel Breaker, Krysta Rodriguez, Christian Thompson, Maddie Baillio, Bonnie Milligan and, yes, Megan Hilty to read it for you. Then add in Stephen Oremus’ sight-reading ensemble of my dreams. The drama, the laughter, the tears just like pearls…We laughed, we cried, we plotzed!

Scott & I wrote a new song as well (maybe more to come) and when you come back to the table after getting up to play said new song and co-producer Steven Spielberg (do you like how I just subtly dropped that name?) GRABS and SQUEEZES your hand to convey how the song made him feel, well, that is a rush I wish I could bottle.

Much thanks to our producers Steven Spielberg, Bob Greenblatt & Neil Meron for affording us a great week of work that culminated with something that does NOT always happen, and that is, when the reading was over, EVERYONE STAYED IN THE ROOM! No one scurried out the door to avoid talking about it! We have no concrete plans yet, this was just the first reading, but I think I can safely say that, unless the world ends soon, you really will get to see SMASH on Broadway sooner than later! Kinahora, poo poo poo, God willing!

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#2Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/22/22 at 4:46pm

Ok, I’ll admit it - this got me a little excited.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/22/22 at 5:48pm

It's happening...

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#4Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/22/22 at 6:04pm

Can anyone make a guess as to who was playing who?

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/22/22 at 6:24pm

Assuming Ashmanskas was Tom (Borle), Leavel was Eileen (Huston), and maybe Rodriguez was Julia (Messing), with Breaker as the director or Julia's husband. My guess is the director role has changed quite a bit post-MeToo, and some of these characters are going to have to be scrapped, combined, or abridged for a 2.5-hour musical.

The most logical Karen/Ivy combo would be Milligan and Hilty...but maybe not! (Hilty could have just been doing stage directions for all we know.) But Rodriguez, Baillio, Milligan, and Hilty could all be Ivy/Karen.

It does concern me that they only wrote one new song. But this is all so early in the process. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Updated On: 5/22/22 at 06:24 PM

OhHiii
#6Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/23/22 at 12:34pm

Seems much more logical that Krysta was the Karen to Megan's Ivy. And I'd wager Beth (or Bonnie) and Brooks were Tom and Julia. All of this assumes the same characters exist in the stage version as in the series as Ermengarde mentioned. I'm most curious of how they handle the show within a show aspect, because the series' strongest moments were so clearly focused in the Bombshell musical numbers. The final 20 minutes of the Season 1 finale being what probably has so many of us so hungry for that musical.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/23/22 at 12:49pm

Brooks & Beth would certainly be fun as the authors, especially if they want to give them more of a Comden & Green feel. A lot of these roles were probably tailored to the cast they had for the TV series and can now be freed up by the new bookwriters.

I would guess that IF you want to go with an "older" Ivy (Hilty is 41), maybe you cast someone 15-20 years younger for Karen. But this is all speculation; Friday was merely a reading with seasoned pros to hear how it works.

Show-within-show is always tricky, and I assume some of what's in the Marilyn musical will mirror what's happening in the "real world" of the musical. As we know from shows like 42nd Street and The Producers, those can be both the best source of good musical numbers/entertainment and can weigh down the plot of the show itself.

(Of note, the show does not have a Director announced yet. Josh Bergasse was announced as choreographer, which is odd because usually the Director chooses the Choreographer.)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#8Smash The Musical: First Reading
Posted: 5/23/22 at 1:46pm

Not that this backstage show will be the one to do it, but is there an equivalent to Noises Off, but for musicals?

JSquared2
#9Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 1:35pm

An industry only reading happening this week -- great cast!

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/smash-musical-broadway-industry-readings-1235730255/

Updated On: 9/21/23 at 01:35 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 1:44pm

Interesting that the two leading ladies are in their 40s-50s for this reading, a departure from the series. If it's indeed about two actresses grappling with aging out of ingenue roles, that's an interesting evolution that could up the stakes. (or, of course, this could just be them casting two able performers for a reading and they intend to go younger for a full production)

This gives some insight into how other characters have evolved, too:

Hurder plays Ivy, an actress cast in the lead role of a new musical about Marilyn Monroe, and Butler appears as Karen, Ivy’s understudy.

While it retains the series’ most recognizable elements, the musical adaptation of “Smash” departs in other ways with a storyline and cast of characters that are inspired by the series but not direct translations. “It’s definitely a new script,” said director Susan Stroman of the musical’s book by Bob Martin and Rick Elice “It has a dramatic twist at the end of it. But you will see familiar characters.”

Alex Brightman and Krysta Rodriguez portray a married composer-lyricist duo who are writing the score for “Bombshell”; Vanessa Williams plays the show’s producer; and Brooks Ashmanskas takes on the part of the director with Tony winner Bonnie Milligan appearing as his associate director. Kristine Nielsen (as an acting coach) and Justin Cooley (as an intern) round out the reading’s cast.

Updated On: 9/21/23 at 01:44 PM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#11Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 1:53pm

Kerry Butler seems like an interesting choice? I wonder if this will go the way of her Little Mermaid and Legally Blonde workshops, or the Xanadu workshop for her.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#12Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 2:56pm

This duo makes zero sense...

Updated On: 9/21/23 at 02:56 PM

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#13Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 3:04pm

I would've loved to hear about who made the ensemble cast for this reading.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 5:28pm

Loving Robyn Hurder! Not so much Kerry Butler.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#15Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/21/23 at 8:35pm

I love everyone in this cast and look forward to the future of this adaptation! 

I still don’t know why it wasn’t picked up by HBO or something for a reunion season. It has a cult following and would draw in more of an audience. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#16Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/22/23 at 8:17pm

I'm told they did a presentation today at Open Jar. Did anybody hear anything about it?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#17Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/22/23 at 8:19pm

pethian said: "I'm told they did a presentation today at Open Jar. Did anybody hear anything about it?"

RaisedOnMusicals was there and has nothing but praise.

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/22/23 at 8:52pm

Was Robyn Hurder there today? She's been out of A Beautiful Noise due to COVID but is expected back in tomorrow.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#19Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/22/23 at 9:27pm

Yeah, go down to my post in a thread I started. I would have put in this thread but I screwed up. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#20Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/22/23 at 9:29pm

Susan Stroman’s directing. That info’s been out for quite a while. She was at the reading today. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

VintageSnarker
#21Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/23/23 at 2:44am

Making the composer-lyricist duo a couple (thereby cutting out all the boring drama of Julia's personal life) feels like a good choice. Who plays Ellis?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#22Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/23/23 at 7:31am

^ Sounds from the blurb like Ellis would be played by Justin Cooley. Wasn’t he the evil intern?

JSquared2
#23Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/23/23 at 12:02pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "^ Sounds from the blurb like Ellis would be played by Justin Cooley. Wasn’t he the evil intern?"

There is no Ellis (thankfully) in the show.  Cooley plays a new character not on the TV series.

Zeppie2022
#24Smash The Musical:
Posted: 9/24/23 at 10:19am

"“It’s definitely a new script,” said director Susan Stroman of the musical’s book by Bob Martin and Rick Elice “It has a dramatic twist at the end of it. But you will see familiar characters.”

Thank goodness. There were storylines and certain characters that needed to be cut from the TV series. I don't think anybody would miss Karen's idiot boyfriend or storyline regarding Julia's family life.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#25Smash The Musical:
Posted: 2/15/24 at 12:48pm

Is anyone at the read through tonight? Very keen to hear reports!

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Latest Posts

Videos