News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for KylieS

KylieS Profile Photo
Member Name: KylieS
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What was wrong with the West Side Story revival?
 May 8 2011, 11:43:17 PM
I loved the production (I've no use for Matt Cavenaugh but then the Tony I saw was Matthew Hydzik, so that worked out) and am particularly emphatic about my belief that the Spanish lyrics for Un Hombre Asi/A Boy Like That are like a trillion times better -- more moving -- than the original ones. LMM did an amazing job with all the translations.

I don't think the complaints of "I didn't understand it," given the translation sheets in the programs, are well-founded. Idk why if people don'

You're kidding me.
 Apr 21 2011, 07:48:43 PM
I seriously can't deal with mashups that take two songs in completely different meters and try to make them work together. "I Feel Pretty" in 4-4, come ON.
NY Times Arts Beat today - Are Musicals losing their voices?
 Apr 15 2011, 04:39:31 PM
+1, Curtain.
The Eight Perfect Musicals
 Apr 7 2011, 10:40:44 PM
Not all shows that I love or even like, but shows that seem seminal or that taken together seem to encompass the history of musical theater:

Gypsy
West Side Story
Oklahoma
Cabaret
A Chorus Line
Company
Phantom
RENT

AMERICAN IDIOT is a jukebox musical!
 Apr 7 2011, 09:53:01 PM
It's clearly not a jukebox musical! Haters! Jukeboxes went out of fashion way before Greenday. It's an iPod musical.
Annie Film Re-Make
 Mar 24 2011, 11:56:52 PM
Oh, do not even insult Carol Burnett as Miss Hannigan. That was the Platonic ideal of comedic performances. The whole movie was also great, even if it was somewhat bloated in spots. Ann Reinking's dancing? Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters working the hell out of those roles? Albert Finney? It was fabulous. The 1999 one also had a fabulous cast, and yes, was truer to the stage version, but it was too dark in places for my taste. Bates' Hannigan was less funny than abusive/creepy. And I love Audra
Message to Billy Joel
 Mar 24 2011, 06:14:31 PM
wat
Natalie Portman and Britney Spears
 Mar 22 2011, 12:13:49 PM
Well, I didn't know that, and I find it mildly interesting, anyway. Man, people are harsh on these boards. (...and water is wet.)
Giving up Sondheim
 Mar 21 2011, 09:42:56 PM
@chewy5000 Hahaha! Well played!

Your Most Hated Musical
 Mar 20 2011, 07:04:52 PM
I actually didn't hate Brooklyn at all because I thought it was so horrible it was hilarious. Although Eden Espinosa's screaming moments did cross the line into non-hilariously painful at points.

I'm one of a few people I know who didn't love Avenue Q. I'm one of only two people I know who seriously hated it.

Every time I hear a song from Sunset Boulevard I'm truly amazed at how bad that show is, too.

thoughts after seeing Spider-man TOTD for the 2nd time
 Mar 18 2011, 02:47:43 AM
That last remark is perhaps the creepiest, most inversely bigoted thing I've ever read.

STOTD is famous to a degree that most Broadway shows can only dream of... for being a hot mess. I don't think you need to fret much about the future direction of Broadway being set by a show that will not recoup its investment, that is universally reviled by critics and that has been a punchline on every latenight talk show in the country. Worry about Mamma Mia if you're going to worry about somethin

How come Jodi Benson doesn't do any theater work anymore?
 Mar 16 2011, 12:54:44 AM
Exactly... and will believe that God had other, not necessarily lesser, plans for the competitors who lost out on the role. Incidentally, homeschooling her kids doesn't make her a nut either. There's lots of possible reasons to homeschool. Some parents just like being more involved - and a woman I know who homeschooled her kids sent them to MIT at ages 15 and 14, respectively. Homeschooling was a better education for them.

I feel like I should say here that I am adamantly no fan of extr

See The Nation's Next Great Carol Burnett - Ms. Amanda Sears!
 Mar 14 2011, 10:42:41 PM
Chicagodanny, you've been posting random additional comments any time this starts to fall anyway. I just don't get why the mods are leaving it up, since it has nothing to do with Broadway... but please don't explain.
 Mar 14 2011, 04:36:10 PM
Kalimba - Yeah, I'm not getting that either....
Bye Bye, Arachne!
 Mar 13 2011, 10:26:39 PM
I definitely read it as "there will be much cutting of Taymor's material, including cutting of the Geek Chorus and of Arachne". Obviously cutting those things would amount to "much cutting". But ultimately we'll really just have to wait and see...
Not understanding seemingly simple Broadway lyrics
 Mar 13 2011, 10:10:22 PM

When I hear "tough" used that way, in its own clause like that, I hear it as "all right, tough luck, [but] I don't make it a crime" -- but I don't know the context.

[Edited for stupidity...]

Bye Bye, Arachne!
 Mar 13 2011, 09:01:24 PM
I agree, I read that as saying they are cuttiing Arachne out. Not that it couldn't be a poorly written sentence, in which case who knows what's going on.
 Mar 9 2011, 07:22:10 PM
The laughing baby has way more than 800,000 hits. I think it's the next Carol Burnett.

She would probably appreciate that comparison more, too.

You must answer to get help.
 Mar 8 2011, 01:11:09 AM
Bwayphreak, the metaphor makes no sense because it's a phoenix itself that becomes "burnt char". It's not like there's some third thing that either turns into a phoenix or turns into ashes. It makes no sense to say a show hasn't turned into a phoenix or into char; they're not even separate things. What's she saying, she wants her show to be like a creature that bursts into flame and then turns to ash once a month? It's at least as nonsensical as some of the stuff Charlie Sheen says.

(Al

Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
 Mar 7 2011, 09:55:53 PM
She's making about as much sense as Charlie Sheen with all that phoenix-and-burnt-char stuff... (What kind of char isn't burnt?)
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You