pixeltracker

Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart

Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#2Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 9:47pm

La Ego!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

KylieS Profile Photo
KylieS
#2Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 9:55pm

She's making about as much sense as Charlie Sheen with all that phoenix-and-burnt-char stuff... (What kind of char isn't burnt?)

ActingIsLovee
#3Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 9:56pm

there is NO WAY she'll completely depart. It may be a complete mess, but it's still her show and she's done too much now to leave.

willheim2 Profile Photo
willheim2
#4Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 9:56pm

she could redeem herself by being humble and gracious and opening up and stepping aside and letting someone else drive the bus.

only one person can be driving the bus, otherwise you get nowhere.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#5Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:03pm

Ah did we forget the hoopla over Across the Universe? Same story different Medium. Julie's version was unwatchable the Producers had to wrangle it away from her and re edit to make the barley watchable mess that it ended up being.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#6Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:05pm

Julie Taymor = Charlie Sheen??

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

KirbyCat
#7Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:06pm

Honestly, I think this production will fail miserably without her as director. I really hope they can find a medium of her staying as director, but stepping down as a co-bookwriter.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:11pm

Well....it's not exactly succeeding WITH her.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:17pm

She's making about as much sense as Charlie Sheen with all that phoenix-and-burnt-char stuff... (What kind of char isn't burnt?)
What is there to not understand?
“Anyone who creates knows — when it’s not quite there. Where it hasn’t quite become the phoenix or the burnt char. And I am right there.”
She is saying that every director knows when their show isn't right. It hasn't become quite the hit and masterpiece she wanted yet, but it is not a total disaster yet in her eyes (even though most others think differently).
Comparing her to Charlie Sheen in this situation makes no sense.

I personally think that at this point, her departing is probably the best thing for this show. As dramamama said, it is most definitely not working with her as director.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:17pm

I am still trying to figure out how she did Lion King.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#11Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:18pm

Julie's therapist needs to ask her once again why she has such difficulty asking for help.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#12Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:20pm

I am still trying to figure out how she did Lion King.

I think Disney's tighter reins have a lot to do with that

Julie's therapist needs to ask her once again why she has such difficulty asking for help.

Wouldn't going to a therapist suggest that she can ask for help? Or do you think she just pays the therapist to have a captive audience for an hour once a week?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

FindingNamo
#13Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:23pm

Julie will never have a therapeutic breakthrough until she learns to ask for help and finally realizes she can't do everything herself. And that's ... okay.

bwayphreak234
#14Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:30pm

^ I agree Namo. If Julie Taymor would simply accept help and be open to other ideas this show could maybe be salvaged. If she would have accepted help sooner, she, and the show for that matter, would not be in this situation.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#15Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:33pm

Julie has her "Friends" who come in and tell her everything she does is golden at the end of the day. She believes it. She can do no wrong.
This goes way back to Transposed Heads, Women and Water and Liberties Taken. Add to that a McCarthur grant and the success of The Lion King and you ah a tour de force in the ego department. She needs no stinkin' help. It is just the common folk doesn't understand the Artiste!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:43pm

How much friggin' money do these producers intend to throw away?
Now that OSHA has proclaimed they were at serious fault can at least two Huge lawsuits be far behind? Chris has said he won't sue but we will see how long that lasts. The actress who got the rope concussion (I've already forgotten her name) is probably kicking herself. If she got a buy-out as reported she could have waited and really made out now, I'm still not sure how you get a concussion from a rope unless it was a big ole sailor's knot that whacked her. And the two other actors could now stand to be very wealthy. Are these actors back in the show?
Hiring a whole new creative team and re-working the show will have to push this production near the 100mil mark and that just turns my stomach.
Hey Bono, shut it down and feed the World!

Updated On: 3/7/11 at 10:43 PM

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#17Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:44pm

Actually, SNAFU, you're wrong about Across the Universe. Joe Roth did cut a separate version, but when Julie caught wind that test audiences were seeing it, she fought him and finally pointed to a contract clause. The barely watchable mess that limped onto cinema screens was Julie's edit all the way.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

FindingNamo
#18Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:54pm

You know, on this the eve of International Women's Day, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the whiff of misogyny that runs through much of the criticism against her and would like to point out that no male director would be so mercilessly criticized. He'd be considered a mad genius like Herzog.

Having said that, it looks like the Times blog is going to spin this as a mess of Bono's making that only he can undo.

bwayphreak234
#19Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 10:56pm

I think Julie Taymor is TOO creative. She does not know when to draw the line with an idea. For example, the idea of Arachne bombarding Peter's mind is a good one, but she made the entire second act about this. A majority of audience members are not going to appreciate, understand, or have the patience for some of the things Taymor wants to do. She has a brilliant mind when it comes to creating stunning visuals, but when it comes to creating a story and show, she just goes too far. There is no question in my mind that she is a genius and has a brilliant mind though.

Updated On: 3/7/11 at 10:56 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#20Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:00pm

Oh god. This is turning into an Intervention parody.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:00pm

re: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE -- gvendo2005. There was an edit that cut "Benefit of Mr. Kite" as well as 1-2 other songs. (It made the film perfect, I'm told.)

Julie got her way. And the result was what occurred that season, and the film was not nominated for Best Picture.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FindingNamo
#22Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:16pm

I don't think there is a perfect film in Across the Universe, but dumping Eddie Izzard sure would have been a step in that direction anyway.

Even if she had never created anything other than the army recruiter scene in that movie, I'd still say Julie Taymor's a genius.

AEA AGMA SM
#23Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:27pm

I agree that there is not a perfect film buried in Across the Universe, but there certainly is a better film lost somewhere in there.

I think Julie is truly a creative genius. However, as many people tend to forget, creative genius does not always lead to perfection without some strong collaborators to help interpret those ideas.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Taymor Will Accept Help-or Depart
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:45pm

I have no doubt that Taymor is a genius, capable of incredibly gorgeous, striking, and brilliant art. But she has a habit of creating those pieces of art and linking them together, regardless or whether or not they mesh. It's like a chef making a stew out of everything that looks good, without caring about whether or not it's actually edible.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos