Annie Film Re-Make

upmayo
#1Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 10:22pm

So I recently did a show with someone who has connections to the new "Annie" Film with Willow Smith, and this is basically the cast list.
Annie- Willow Smith
Ms.Hannigan- Wanda Sykes
Rooster- Wayne Brady
Daddy Warbucks- Samuel L. Jackson
Grace Farrell- Janet Jackson or Phylicia Rashad

Should be a good movie I suppose... though I think the cast is a little to typical...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 10:24pm

The sun will not come out tomorrow for this vanity project for Will Smith

Poster Emeritus

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#2Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 10:26pm

You'd think they'd want bigger stars.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 10:43pm

Eww. No thank you.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

#4Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 11:16pm

No reason. Both films have their flaws, but children seem to adore *both* movies, and that's the main point. Sure, keep on reviving it on stage, but...

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#5Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 11:49pm

Why bother remaking it. The best and definitive version IMHO was the 1999 Disney one directed by Rob Marshall and starring Kathy Bates as Hannigan,Victor Garber as Daddy Warbucks,Audra MacDonals as Grace and Alan Cumming as Rooster with Kristin Chenoweth as a hysterically funny Lily St Regis.Far more satisfying than the bloated hollywood version with Carol Burnett and with a much superior Annie in Alicia Morton. Musically it was charming and much closer to the original Broadway stage show and one of the best moments was when Andrea McArdle,the very first Annie, in a cameo sings NYC.

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

KylieS Profile Photo
KylieS
#6Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/24/11 at 11:56pm

Oh, do not even insult Carol Burnett as Miss Hannigan. That was the Platonic ideal of comedic performances. The whole movie was also great, even if it was somewhat bloated in spots. Ann Reinking's dancing? Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters working the hell out of those roles? Albert Finney? It was fabulous. The 1999 one also had a fabulous cast, and yes, was truer to the stage version, but it was too dark in places for my taste. Bates' Hannigan was less funny than abusive/creepy. And I love Audra McDonald to pieces, but given the era, Warbucks' having a black personal assistant and then a black girlfriend/wife didn't make much sense.

Anyway. This new version looks like a loser to me. Can't deal with Wanda Sykes, hm-mm.

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#7Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:08am

...I agree that Ann Reinking was great and Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters had their moments...but the whole pile of bloat was wrecked by that insufferable wretched brat cast as Annie who mugged as if she had been possessed by Jerry Lewis...

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

upmayo
#8Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/25/11 at 12:49am

exactly
like i feel like the conversation went
willow- "Dad, even though its a girl for a whie role, I wanna play annie"
Will- "Okay hunny, ill buy you into that movie and cast the regular people to boost ticket sales"

come on... i just feel like this is so stupid

#9Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/25/11 at 1:22am

I admit while too many tv musicals of the 90s were bloated (bye Bye Birdie anyone?) Annie coulda done with an extra 30 mins--it's just SOO short without commercials and the ending is rushed, and it was a big mistake using Miss Hannigan in disguise in a new plot twist--there's no way she wouldn't have been recognized.

I actually largely love the movie cast--and loved it as a kid though now I can see nearly all of the complaints against it.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#10Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/25/11 at 2:21am

I would unironically be excited for this movie if they ditched the Great Depression and set it in Harlem, circa 1992. Children languishing in a corrupt and over-burdened social welfare system, adults all too willing to view those children as mere meal tickets (or worse), and the plucky orphan girl with an indelible attitude who escapes her plight thanks to a healthy dose of White Guilt? That's Oscar-bait, friends; "Precious: The Musical."

Before you scoff, these are the Smiths we are talking about. They remade The Karate Kid without any karate.

Brick
#11Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/25/11 at 2:23am

Actually, that's a pretty great cast. I still think this project is a little silly, but I'd pay to see that cast.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#12Annie Film Re-Make
Posted: 3/25/11 at 2:57am

After seeing the National Theatre's FRANKENSTEIN recently, I may be turned off to color blind casting for good.

When writing a story and developing characters, race and place matter with very few exceptions.

I agree with the poster above -- if they slipped the time period to something more current, it could work.

"I know the recession's... repressing?"

Well, maybe not... Updated On: 3/25/11 at 02:57 AM

Videos