Bye Bye, Arachne!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:29pm

Julie must be PISSED! (And not just because she's a woman)

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/EXCLUSIVE_Latest_on_SPIDERMAN_Taymor_Berger_Ensemble_Contracts_20110313

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#2Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:33pm

Hope this really amps us the "urgenct."

Bye Bye, Arachne!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:36pm

If they really are cutting her, that's a crapload of songs out the window. Rise Above wil no doubt be just Peter or Peter/MJ the 1st time around, as it's just too good a song to lose, but you're losing Behold and Wonder (and that beautiful weaving prologue), Turn Off the Dark (maybe repurposable?), Think Again (too bad), Deeply Furious (thank God) and Love Me or Kill Me.

That's a huge chunk of running time. Sounds like a one act-er for sure. The real losses here are Think Again and the weaving scene. I guess Gobby could sing Think Again, but it would be pretty out of character, and not really sensible. And that prologue... womp womp..

Wait... they are losing the whole central 'theme' to the show, 'And the girl/boy falls from the sky.' What the heck sense is that going to make without the prologue?

For gosh sake's, you're losing Turn Off the Dark! The show's title is going to make even less sense than ever!

This is provoking more questions than the last season of LOST did!

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 3/13/11 at 06:36 PM

Jordan Catalano
#3Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:37pm

But at least they'll be able to make all these changes in three weeks. I mean, why wouldn't they be able to do that, right?!

Jordan Catalano
#4Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:40pm

Not to mention that if a lot of the cast does in fact leave the show, they're going to be screwed with casting and teaching this show to a whole new crop of actors before "opening night".

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#5Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:42pm

They need to lend out Trey Parker and Matt Stone from BoM. They somehow put out a South Park episode every week, and they seem to have their mythology down too.

Personally, I think this is a bit of a loss. Basically the new concept seems to be: copy the movie. The end.

Not to mention the Arachne-induced wet dream. That was a pretty cool scene imo. (No sarcasm! I really did think it was pretty! And a bit skeevy!)

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

rentfan2 Profile Photo
rentfan2
#6Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:49pm

Honestly, Arachne isn't leaving. They wrote a ****load of songs and their only extended clip of the show features her.

and technically "These changes are said to include much cutting of Julie Taymor's additions to the already rich SPIDER-MAN mythology including both the Geek Chorus, and the character of Arachne" basically means that they are doing alot of reworking, they won't destroy Arachne.

Not because I think the character has importance(which I dont)but because tv will sue if they cut her.

Jordan Catalano
#7Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:52pm

What will she sue them for? If her contract is up for renewal, they can simply just not renew it.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#8Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:11pm

Because characters have NEVER been cut in previews. And I'm sure
the illustrious TV Signal doesn't have that tight of a contract for them to keep her. She'll probably just go back into the chorus.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 3/13/11 at 07:11 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#9Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:23pm

I feel bad for TV, Performing each night knowing her role is gonna get cut

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#10Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:27pm

Not because I think the character has importance(which I dont)but because tv will sue if they cut her.

If they continue to pay her then she has no say in it.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:28pm

I was gonna ask what would happen with TV Carpio if the role is in fact cut. What a mess...

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#12Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:33pm

Hopefully Jen Damiano has the sense to just leave. She's way too talented to associate with this garbage.

tourboi
#13Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:40pm

Not to mention the Geeks.. they'd be out of a job too.

Mind you, as harsh as that is, it'd be better for the show!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:43pm

I think one of the trickier aspects of this is that it's not her script alone. How can you pull "half a script" when your partner is still employed and under contract?

The lawyers involved much be loving this.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

rentfan2 Profile Photo
rentfan2
#15Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:46pm

Ok, this is rediculous! NO BROADWAY SHOW HAS GONE THROUGH THIS SH*T!!! If the producers were smart, they'd shut it down.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#16Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:55pm

I actually really like the concept of the Geek Chorus. Hopefully they would offer Miss Arrow back to TV if they can clean up the Geek Chorus material. They could let Alice Lee move to be a swing, and cover MJ.

BTW when I saw it Kristen Martin was on as Miss Arrow and she was pretty good with what she was working with.

Luv2goToShows
#17Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:55pm

But at least they'll be able to make all these changes in three weeks. I mean, why wouldn't they be able to do that, right?!

They probably will be able to & then work those changes during previews for the next month(s). : )

rentfan2 Profile Photo
rentfan2
#18Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:01pm

^^ Well, it might be EASIER with Julie gone, but I'm not sure that they can do it. Three weeks probably isn't enough time to rework that mess of a show.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#19Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:20pm

I think they should replace Page with a kick ass Rocker, Page is a talented actor but if they are writing more music for the character, a Bono-alike could deliver the songs and make the part Edgeier(pun intended)) and draw the rocker-audience they are after.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#20Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:31pm

So never mind the cutting- and as someone said, they are now advertising the show with an extract featuring a character they plan to remove???- but what about the new material they are introducing?

They are writing, rehearsing, teching enough material to replace this long list of cuts by the end of April???

If it's that easy, why did it take them 9 years first time round?

It just does not add up.

willheim2 Profile Photo
willheim2
#21Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:35pm

they arent cutting arachne, it say reduced role, probably means cutting down that endless opening dreadfully boring dramatically dull exposition at the top of act one...blowing off the shoe number and thats it....

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#22Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:36pm

That exposition is one of the best visual moments of the show...

Jordan Catalano
#23Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:53pm

" they arent cutting arachne, it say reduced role.."

It says "These changes are said to include much cutting of Julie Taymor's additions to the already rich SPIDER-MAN mythology including much of the Geek Chorus, and the character of Arachne."

It doesn't say "...and TO the character of Arachne", but "and the character of Arachne".

KylieS Profile Photo
KylieS
#24Bye Bye, Arachne!
Posted: 3/13/11 at 9:01pm

I agree, I read that as saying they are cuttiing Arachne out. Not that it couldn't be a poorly written sentence, in which case who knows what's going on.

Videos