News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Freedomme

Freedomme Profile Photo
Member Name: Freedomme
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

All-Black STEEL MAGNOLIAS Film In The Works
 Oct 13 2011, 07:25:47 PM
Ummm, did anybody clear this with Sondheim?
Audra McDonald Says Porgy and Bess is like a squid...
 Sep 28 2011, 05:20:57 PM
So, if Porgy and Bess is like a squid, does that make Sondheim Captain Nemo? (God, I love this thread!)
Sondheim vs. Porgy & Bess - YIKES!
 Aug 17 2011, 01:40:58 PM
"I loves you, Ste-vie!"

And with that out of the way...

It's so good to hear you come out screaming, all piss-y and vinegar-y (well, more the former) about SAVING Porgy and Bess from the script doctors. God knows the holy fire that you torched them with could have been used with better result on your own productions. So, the question I have is: why the sudden descent from Olympus? Is it because these harpies..umm, women..umm, FEMALES were daring to make the same mistakes as any

The Five Best Sondheim Rhymes
 Jul 24 2011, 11:52:11 PM
I know that Sondheim is known for his dazzling wordplay but my favorite is from West Side Story:
Dear kindly Sergeant Krupke, you gotta understand,
It's just our bringin' upke that gets us out of hand...

Upke? My god, it's not even a word. He just invented it. And yet it just completely fits the rhyme and the character and the scene. It's like getting a hundred dollar tip at a diner--completely unexpected and thoroughly appreciated. I smile every time I hear it.

COMPANY Screenings Are Extremely Limited
 Jun 15 2011, 11:41:25 PM
So disappointed! Got to the First Ave. Clearview at 61st street at 6:30, sat there for an hour, the entire theater filled up, not ONE empty seat, and they couldn't show the film because of technical difficulties. They did refunds and free tickets for a later time, but what a bummer. When they announced that there would be no show, the entire audience yelled back "NO!"
Arthur Laurents Says That Barbra Streisand Gypsy Film is OFF
 Mar 12 2011, 11:12:46 PM
You want a movie? Here's your movie. Lea from Glee as Gypsy, Seth Rogan as Howie and Gwyneth Paltrow as Mama Rose.
OK let's recast Night Music again
 Sep 7 2010, 09:13:15 PM
Call me crazy, but I would really love to see what Charles Busch could do with the role of Desiree...I just don't know who could play Madame Armfeldt.
quizking101's Playbill/Flyer Trading Post
 Aug 18 2010, 09:37:11 PM
Please stay quizzie!
Sondheim Fan-Mail Question
 Aug 17 2010, 11:36:49 PM
Awwww! And I was afraid that the birthday afterglow had worn off. Listen, darling, you have a little piece of the kid's viscera at the corner of your mouth...oh, there, nevermind, it's gone.
So I'm in a production of DEATH OF A SLEASMAN right now...
 Aug 16 2010, 11:53:07 PM
I'm sorry. It must have been The Ice Capades presents Nathan Lane in The Iceman Cometh. I understand that when he confessed to Dorothy Hamill's murder, it brought the rink down.
 Aug 16 2010, 11:26:15 PM
Well-chilled, yes. Well-received, no. I believe you're thinking of The Ice Capades featuring Dorothy Hamill presents Hedwig and the Angry Inch. If memory serves me right, they closed before the zamboni could clean the rink.
 Aug 16 2010, 10:03:37 PM
Wait, I know this one!

Everybody ought to have a bris.
Everybody ought to have a working mohel,
A serious, unshirking mohel,
Who hopefully isn't soused.

I'm sorry, DP. I don't remember who did the music either. Well, they're probably not famous, so don't worry about it.

Stephen Sondheim: An appreciation of some particularly ingenious passages
 Aug 16 2010, 08:45:52 PM
Almira - Thank you so much. It's wonderful to be able to hear the musical passages being discussed, instead of merely reading about them. I slogged my way through Steve Swayne's book, but without a musical composition background a term like "suspended dominant" has a whole different meaning. I think the the real point of confusion for me is that I don't know why the closest thing America has to a musical poet laureate can't be subsidized. I'm so tired of "reductive" revivals where the orchestra
 Aug 16 2010, 08:15:59 PM
(Snif.) You are so brave.
After the bris, are you playing Linda?

Aug 16 2010, 08:10:08 PM
A bris? No, no, Dollypop! Keep your candy wrapper on!
Nederlander internship
 Aug 16 2010, 08:04:00 PM
When I googled "paid Nederlander internships" I found a link to Nextcat.com which shows a paid general management internship from Jan. 2009. I hope this helps.
Happy Birthday, Dollypop!
 Aug 15 2010, 12:56:17 PM
Hope that today finds you surrounded by a sweet air mass full of yummy weathermen with warm fronts.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You