News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MisterRussell

MisterRussell Profile Photo
Member Name: MisterRussell
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Leader of the Pack to Be Released on Cd!
 Jul 26 2009, 12:53:28 PM
'Bout damn time.
re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
 Jul 6 2009, 10:04:05 PM
Not the ticket-buying public, and certainly not the Modern Theatre.
re: Am I the only one who would love a Garth Brooks musical?
 Jul 6 2009, 10:01:11 PM
Introduce Garth to somebody who can shepherd him through the ins and outs of writng a show, maybe find him a good property to musicalize, one that would generate some interest, and which would be served well by Brooks' unique combination of hard country rockin' and sentimentality, and let it workshop in the Midwest for a few months. Then, perhaps, Garth could produce a musical score that would satisfy the country fans as well as the New York snobs.

At one point, Garth was attached to a

re: And folks want to see Boyle on a B'way or West End stage?
 Jun 19 2009, 08:18:40 PM
Pgenre - you sound like a devoted fan of Sir Andrew's, and I in no way doubt your fervor. Perhaps I am in the wrong to pre-judge LND's material before hearing it, but I have been so very disappointed by Lloyd Webber so many times in the last couple of decades ... can you blame me for being dubious?
 Jun 19 2009, 07:53:46 PM
Well, lucky Susan Boyle to be spared an association with Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest steaming turd of a song.
 Jun 19 2009, 07:38:38 PM
A very astute observation, Bettyboy. I hadn't considered that. Bravo.
re: Shows that you don't get
 Jun 19 2009, 07:36:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, and that I'm trying to be too literal, but it seems to me that the thread is about "shows that you don't get," not "shows you don't like," or "shows you want to dump on" or even "shows you don't get why they have endured/are popular/ever were written."

I'm not a huge fan of many shows, but I "get" them. I really love some shows, but still fail to "get" the message. In this amazing forum we have to discuss and debate the artistic merits of our favorite plays and music

Jun 19 2009, 07:26:13 PM
Sorry to say it, because I've been pulling for Susan all along, but she's just throwing any goodwill that she had from "the public" down the drain with these antics. And she wanted to be a "professional singer." Well, part and parcel of that means being a "professional," Susan, not just a "singer."
re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
 Jun 18 2009, 03:58:19 PM
Well, I had hoped that readers like Sporky might have had the imagination to see what I saw in Pascal's prformance: A sexually ambiguous man who may well "love" Florence, but who may or may not still be questioning his sexual orientation. I ha always felt that Freddy doth protest too much in the "Bangkok" lyric: "I get my thrills above the waistline, Sunshine", and, despite the rewrite in "Quartet," at one point in the show's evolutuion, Rice had Anatoly suggest tha Freddy was "a fruit."

Jun 18 2009, 02:34:35 PM
Surely, Sporky, you have dated men who ended up being ambivalent about their sexuailty as a result?
re: Your music is forever music, Alan Menken!!
 Jun 18 2009, 02:27:34 PM
Sorry, that quote makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
 Jun 18 2009, 02:25:45 PM
Ive been a fan of the material since the beginning.

I watched the concert version last night, and here are my personal thoughts:

1. This is probably the version of the piece that works best; as Tim Rice says, they finaly "got it right." The story makes total sense now, the song reassignments all work, and the new material is great. They finally figured out that Freddy is a supporting character, and made the show about Florence and Anatoly. The show is in balance for the first t

re: Was Sutton pissed or what?
 Jun 8 2009, 06:54:16 PM
... Well, I'd sure be pissed if MY musical farts lost to a well-written piece of MUSICAL THEATRE ...
re: PLEASE tell me 'I Got Life' doesn't take place in a bathroom...
 Jun 1 2009, 01:00:46 PM
No, no, no ... the song that takes place in the bathroom is "I got the Hershey Squirts."
re: If ANNIE opened today...
 May 23 2009, 02:36:18 PM
Ah, but it certainly does generate a lot of press, doesn't it?
re: Will Janney Pull a David Hyde Pierce?
 May 21 2009, 08:42:41 PM
With all the "Family Guy" fans on BWW, I'm surprised nobody has recalled that "pulling a David Hyde Pierce" is to flash one's testicles on the Emmy's due to a 'trouser malfunction.'"
re: Anything Goes: 1962 or 1987?
 May 9 2009, 02:16:11 PM
I'm partial to the 1962 recording, mostly because that was the version I performed in in 2002.
re: Play Me A Country Song- anyone?
 Apr 18 2009, 03:34:06 PM
I never saw the show, but I did work with Reed Jones, one of the stars of the show, in 1988.
re: Patrick Stewart Goes LuPone
 Apr 17 2009, 09:16:17 PM
How I wish Stewat had also written on e wman's program that she was married to an a-hole!

Good for Stewart.

re: Do you know these 10 showtunes?
 Apr 17 2009, 09:12:05 PM
Four of them aren't even showtunes. When the creators of this time-waster get serious, they should put out a list of actual songs from shows.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You