News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Bardolph

Member Name: Bardolph
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Freak Like Me on TV
 Jul 20 2011, 06:22:09 PM
I haven't seen the play since before this song was put in. Wasn't sure what to make of it when I first heard it, but man I love it now. Probably gets more plays than any other song in my iPod right now, theater or otherwise. So damn catchy!

No Flying at Spider-Man Tonight!
 Jul 4 2011, 12:50:56 PM
Yeah, but ever since this show began, if an actor broke a nail there would be countless haughty posts about how the show should be stopped. Remember Jennifer Damiano's webcam interview? "She's not looking at the camera! What's she hiding? Clearly, she wants off the show!" "I saw a child yawn!" "A man checked his watch!" Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

LegallyBroadway2 is just mocking that attitude and I agree with him.

ridiculous Spider-man pull-quote
 Jun 16 2011, 01:11:15 PM
Be honest. The newspaper ad would be a little longer:

"NO LONGER A CATASTROPHE... I FIND IT THE THRILL THAT THE HYPE WOULD HAVE YOU BELIEVE."
- Jonathan Mandell

Now THAT would be dishonest and would require a retraction, since it completely contradicts the context.

ridiculous Spider-man pull-quote
 Jun 16 2011, 11:14:44 AM
Broadway critics are very careful about the words they use. Every writer with an ounce of experience knows that every word in his or her piece is available for advertising. If he was not OK with Spidey using those words to promote the play, trust me, he would not have written them.

That's why most of the critics who panned the musical save the superlatives for the negative thoughts and use double negatives for the positive thoughts. For example, Jonathan Mandell says, "while Spider-M

Spider-Man Tonys Performance
 Jun 14 2011, 10:50:51 AM
People who haven't seen the show undoubtedly think of it as a rock and roll circus act. And they aren't wrong. But in choosing If the World Should End, I'm sure the creative team wanted to show the millions watching that it's more than that...that it has a heart as well.

What fascinates me is that everyone I talk to, and seemingly everyone on this board, keep mentioning new favorite songs. If you look back to the beginning of this, the consensus was that the score was a mess and the on

BWW TV First Look: SPIDER-MAN on Broadway Extended Video Preview!
 Jun 11 2011, 11:06:03 PM
Didn't at first, but I LOVE Freak Like Me now. All irreverant camp and color. It's a fun song with a catchy as hell chorus, clearly written as a wink to the tourist crowd.

Reeve has a fine voice, but every time I hear him in this play, his consonants sound too thick. Pretty sure that comes from months of rehearsals begging him to "ENUNCIATE!"

Spider-Man cast recording...
 Jun 8 2011, 07:12:33 PM
Keep listening...the music really grows on you.
Spider-Man Cast Recording Listing
 Jun 2 2011, 01:32:17 PM
Really like most of this. Sinisterio sounds like a great song from Ziggy Stardust. The abbreviated clip of "No More" doesn't do the actual song justice. As I've said before, the Rise Above songs are the showpieces here.

The comment about "Turn Off the Dark" sounding like Sara Brightman made me laugh out loud. Agree. I hear an absolutely GORGEOUS song in there somewhere, but where you think it should go up, it goes down, where it should simplify and break the clouds it gets mired down i

Spider-Man confirms IDOL performance
 May 24 2011, 05:37:50 PM
"Sorry, but who exactly is saying it's good? It's a boring, cheap looking production that while not as campy as "1.0" is still every bit as bad. I don't recall the majority of people saying anything different than that. Let's not try to "rewrite" opinions of it."

*L* Yes, we know Jordan. You've appointed yourself to be Spider-man's official internet nemesis. You've been hammering this show with good points and bad for months.

The truth is that the show is now getting regular standing ovations, the cast and crew are on top of the word and feel very confident about where it's going, and I know at least one critic who wrote a searing review of 1.0 who suggested in a conversation I had with him that his 2nd review would be "quite different."

There's also this:
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/21/2892683/robert-trussell-broadways-spider.html

More importantly, I would say that 75% of the people I've spoken to who have seen the new show (I haven't yet seen 2.0), genuinely enjoyed it. Most enthusiastically so.

So hammer on, Jo Jo. This show is here to stay. Whether you like it or not.

Spider-Man confirms IDOL performance
 May 24 2011, 04:51:41 PM
"Interesting. This is pretty big, isn't it? The only comparable thing I can think of in recent memory would be American Idiot on the Grammys with Green Day."

Yes, it's big. It's very big. The Grammys typically draw about 15 million viewers. The American Idol finale will likely draw over 40 million.

If Spidey 2.0 is as good as everyone is saying it is, this could bump it into self-powering orbit.

I'm betting they do Rise Above. It's easily the best song from the show

thoughts after seeing Spider-man TOTD for the 2nd time
 Mar 17 2011, 03:19:50 PM
Idiot:

Wow, the level to which you don't get it is astonishing. This isn't "toy" theatre. The problems with Spider-man was that it was TOO intellectual...what with its take on Greek mythology, the poetry, the challenging music. Theatre—especially musical theatre—has to have an immediate impact. People want catchy sugarpop to sing on the subway home, not the often-challenging music that U2 writes. The mistake they made was using a children's story to convey not just grown-up, but pre

Spiderman Preview Thread!
 Mar 5 2011, 04:28:46 PM
What? Why would you have to listen to the song multiple times? Audiences don’t get that option in live theatre. If it doesn’t work the first time, it doesn’t work

Right, and this is why very few songs from Broadway endure outside of that context. The songs are written to have the same impact as songs from commercials: immediate. So inevitably many are overly melodramatic, shallow, and disposable.

Whether or not Spider-man makes it as a musical, I think many of the songs

Mar 4 2011, 05:12:06 PM
It is a brilliant, infectious song, but it's not sugarpop; it requires a few listens to really feel that soaring, cloud-ride transition from verse to chorus. I'm positive that's why they're exposing it in such a way...and planning the EP.
SPIDER-MAN Finds its Pull-Quotes in Reviews!
 Feb 13 2011, 02:17:51 PM
Well I never....

This has got to be the last straw!! How do they get away with this?!! I've never HEARD of a play, novel, movie or performance of ANY kind pulling critics' quotes out of context and using them to promote said performance!

Let's face it, this show continues to be a big boorish middle finger rudely thrust into the faces of those of us who appreciate REAL theah-ta.

Harumph.

America Olivio Let's On That Spider-Man Isn't The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
 Feb 10 2011, 03:33:03 PM
"Just watch her... She's so at a loss for words and positive things to say, it's sad. She can't look at the camera, she's maneuvering around the truth, and flat out fabricating things to the interviewer to leave the show in a good light."

*LOL* I'm not certain whether you're being serious or sarcastic. You do realize, of course, that she's giving the interview on a webcam, right? When speaking to a webcam people inevitably look at their computer screens and not the camera.
SPIDERMAN - thurs. 1/20
 Jan 21 2011, 06:52:59 PM
Listen to you all!! You're all a bunch of catty divas who can't figure out why someone actually liked the show. How DARE they!!??

Some quotes:

"Anyone who knows ANYTHING about theatre knows Spidey is a terrible show!"

"Reeve Carney is who you're discussing. If you can't bother to learn the actor's name, there's no point in reading further."

"You enjoy paying to see CRAP and are PROUD of it, damn it!"

The swoons and huffs are audible in your posts. <

The score
 Jan 14 2011, 08:43:49 PM
"This is THE worst score in my lifetime- and that includes college reviews and Via Galactica!! They are too rich and too famous to give a s*** and the public to appear COOL will go "wow! it's U2- it's great man! It's cool! I'm cool because I know U2~!!!" It's like when bubbe started doing the twist to stay current- not a pleasant sight!!"

Thank you for this. For weeks I've been trying to come to terms with how, after one listen, so many come away not indifferent or unmoved by the

The score
 Jan 14 2011, 12:43:32 PM
Ever come out of a musical thinking that the score was weak, only to to hear it again on a 2nd visit, or on the Tonys, and reconsider? This happens to me all the time: "Wow, love that song, but I don't remember hearing it in the theater."

That was my experience. Saw the show, didn't really "hear" the music, but was able to listen to a recording not long after. There are no catchy "Seasons of Love" in this score, where you spend the entire subway ride home trying to figure out just how

So what?
 Jan 14 2011, 11:39:46 AM
So what? Seriously, so the hell what?

Internuts act as if their livelihoods depend on the opening of this show before a certain date. This era of 24-hour cable news and internet magnifies everything to cartoonish levels. Meanwhile, the #1 draw on Broadway continues in previews, everyone's getting paid, and audiences for the most part are coming out of the show thrilled. It's a freaking musical. It's not healthcare reform.

I feel bad for those who bought future tickets thinkin

Dec 31 2010, 02:33:25 PM
The fact that the 3-syllable word "bullying" is assigned one beat makes the song "Bullying by Numbers" incomprehensible. Then again, what does "bullying by numbers" mean? It means nothing.

You really don't know what this means? Have you heard the expression "painting by numbers?" What is painting by numbers? It's following a template rather than your own inspiration. What, then, might Bullying by Numbers mean?

This is not one of my favorite songs. It's really not very significant in the play, but I don't have a problem with pinching a syllable or two. Ever heard "Something's Coming" from West Side Story? How about "Your the One That I Want" from Grease? How many freaking syllables do they cram into that outburst?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You