News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Ladybug101

Member Name: Ladybug101
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Moulin Rouge/Aaron Tveit SF Cabaret ONO
 Aug 31 2019, 07:43:53 AM
My reprise from MR soundtrack thoughts thread

Here are a couple of things I saw in print about the MR soundtrack today:
Time Magazine's 5 Best Songs of the Week

“Crazy Rolling” is one of the most memorable of the new compositions: the mix of Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy” and Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” is seamless and powerful; instead of hopscotching from style to style (as in the “Elephant Love Medley”), the two songs blend as if they belonged together all along, with prop

MOULIN ROUGE Cast Recording Out Today! - Thoughts
 Aug 31 2019, 07:35:28 AM
Here are a couple of things I saw in print about the MR soundtrack today:
Time Magazine's 5 Best Songs of the Week

“Crazy Rolling” is one of the most memorable of the new compositions: the mix of Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy” and Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” is seamless and powerful; instead of hopscotching from style to style (as in the “Elephant Love Medley”), the two songs blend as if they belonged together all along, with propulsive theatrical rock-pop orchestration and all-in vocal

Moulin Rouge Preshow
 Aug 26 2019, 09:23:29 AM

Double Post

is anyone winning hadestown or moulin rouge lottery tix
 Jul 20 2019, 05:43:35 AM

WINNERS --
Moulin Rouge (On Moulin Rouge Broadway Instagram) The following posted their wins.

Seemingly this past Saturday, two different people won the lottery and got can can seating.

1.One did a nice tableau display of their ticket, program and other things on the cafe table -- to me that's a positive -- no comments.

2. 2nd instagram -- some complaints but found the show amazing.
1. My neck was stiff 2. Almost got kicked in the face. (the almo

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 18 2019, 02:40:46 AM

Kad, Excellent write-up on MR.  The stage ending has bothered some -- if one is like me and didn't love the film, it's easier to ruminate about it -- so here my take that may be charred in flames:

1.  Actually you are right about the powers that be of the show show wanting the audience smiling as they left the theater.  Timbers said in a article last year (yeah, I read a lot) that he felt these are dark times and that's why the encore jazzed up

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 9 2019, 08:37:50 AM
This is very long.

Danielle49 said: Lots of negatives about Aaron Tveit so here are my points since I find her inaccurate at times. Sorry it's a fan's duty to notice discrepancies. #1 is not up for debate -- it's clothes and if you want to challenge my statements be my guest.

1."I loved most of the costumes, excluding Christian’s costumes. He doesn’t look penniless at all — his vest, pants, shirt, and coat look neat and tailored (conveniently for our big Broadway star)."

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 8 2019, 08:09:48 AM
IHeartNY2 said -- Some days I just can't with these boards.

I second that.

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 7 2019, 12:22:26 AM

Vintage Snarker said: "Well, to me that implies that the villain isn't being written dastardly enough to override the appeal of his looks and/or the main couple isn't compelling enough."

I have a couple of sort of quotes from the Boston version that the DSM-5 would diagnose the Duke as one very sick guy.

1. Top cited malevolent Duke action -- Nini to Satine: I knew a girl that shunned the Duke's advances and he had her boyfriend killed by his men an

Moulin Rouge seating
 Jul 6 2019, 12:04:12 PM
For Jonah 3500:

Actually, someone on instagram today mentioned being as close to the elephant as the photo shows. They would have liked it moved a bit back and there were others who were even closer to the animal but said they loved the show and would be back again (I guess to see what they missed on the right side).

Also, like a commenter on this board she found it hot up there and suggested dressing lightly. However, they might fix the problem so figure out both ways to cov

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 6 2019, 11:58:34 AM
IHeartNY2:

Some people analyze and some don't. I'm obviously an analyzer--if you check back. By just saying it was a rehearsal is negating everything Timbers, Logan and the musical director have said about choosing song lyrics -- they have crafted their mashes to further the story in allegedly all cases. The rehearsal is a concealed replication of the Moulin Rouge denizens' reality.

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 6 2019, 11:58:27 AM
IHeartNY2:

Some people analyze and some don't. I'm obviously an analyzer--if you check back. By just saying it was a rehearsal is negating everything Timbers, Logan and the musical director have said about choosing song lyrics -- they have crafted their mashes to further the story in allegedly all cases. The rehearsal is a concealed replication of the Moulin Rouge denizens' reality.

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 6 2019, 11:39:47 AM
To CukorLover:

The Tveit and Olivo chemistry was more questioned in Boston than in New York where people according to my reading of audience reviews and instagrams were on the whole happy with their chemistry--at least to this point -- small sample.

Tveit was cast first of everyone even before the June 2017 Lab posting in Backstage - Olivo later. If you think him too diminutive physically and facially to play off Olivo, blame the powers that be since he was there first. As on

Moulin Rouge seating
 Jul 6 2019, 11:04:26 AM
For jbird5:

I second your opinion on the worth of the can can seating. I did a little study and of the customer reviews (Boston theatre) and instagram messages both Boston and New York performances the 15 or so all who mentioned the seating loved it.

And for a lucky few Danny Burstein had a bit of a conversation with viewers as Zidler -- a 6 time Tony nominee and it would be a shame if he didn't win for this performance -- can't beat that for added value. Also, in NY Max Cla

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 6 2019, 10:49:34 AM
To Queen Alice:

1. I agree with you that Karen Olivo does not look on the verge of a consumptive death but the film certainly put Nicole Kidman in some extreme dire by corseting her so tightly the waist whittler broke several ribs and she had to take a break from filming.

2. I just like info so the following is for an earlier comment of yours on Tommy Tune being at your performance. He was at opening night in Boston and a little video followed him from the train, thru the s

Moulin Rouge Previews
 Jul 6 2019, 10:22:07 AM

For Fan 123: Here's my take of the Bad Romance number.

1. Start with the show pitch that the group offered up earlier to Duke: Christian will play a sailor who loves Satine who plays the heroine. Though not overtly mentioned the Duke is the gangster in the hearts of the bohemians..

2.Bad Romance number is in reality a rehearsal for the upcoming show. Sonya Tayeh is a big time contemporary choreographer from "So you think you can dance" and you have to do some movem

Cody Simpson to make Broadway debut in Anastasia as Dmitry
 Oct 17 2018, 05:00:08 AM

DWTS is a sometimes guilty pleasure and strangely I thought of Cody yesterday after no thought since his pretty quick departure but his then pro was just quoted in an article saying she never had a younger partner than herself until this season. 

I remember Cody (5 years younger than his partner) was not easy to train for Witney, the young newbie pro -- he had a mind of his own (to his detriment) which probably hastened his exit. I hope in the 10 DWTS seasons (5 years in

Ryan McCartan is Wicked's Next Fiyero
 Aug 31 2018, 06:33:05 AM

I don't think this has already been said on the thread but to give McCartan a bit more theatrical cred he won the Jimmy Award back in 2011 as a teen -- not that can assure stardom or even success but he hasn't done badly. 

The person who had the stars align was Jimmy Award finalist several years back Eva Noblezada. Cameron Mackintosh was making his London reboot of Miss Saigon and Manila hadn't supplied him a Lea Salonga-type presence like many years befo

Moulin Rouge at Emerson Colonial Theatre Reviews
 Aug 20 2018, 06:32:01 AM

Barcelona20 posted various reviews including the NPR station WBUR

AUDIO REVIEW: But there's another public voice in town -- WBGH TV/Radio whose arts editor filed a latish report (Aug.9) due to covering 2 more world premieres (though not on the same scale as MR.)  The reviewer has the TV program "Arts This Week" where he interviewed Olivo and Tveit but for his review the Morning Edition local radio announcer interviews him.  Unlike WBUR which was mixed, this is a rave. One reviewer felt more emotions from the show and its leads than the other. Also, a couple of clips from his KO and AT interview are included if you want to know why Satine loves Christian.  Plus you can look for the full actors' interview if you want. 

Alert:  Had problems opening file with my smart phone (it may have just been my phone's glitch) but a stronger machine had no trouble.  

https://www.wgbh.org/news/arts/2018/08/09/arts-this-week-moulin-rouge-the-musical-dark-room-leftovers

Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
 Aug 20 2018, 06:02:19 AM

Jordan Roth was in the MR audience this past week so the following options (I go with #3)

1.  He was in Boston and decided to drop in to see what the NYT and Variety raved about

2.  He wanted to see what kind of competition MR would be for his various theatres' productions

3.  JR was checking out the staging, etc. to see how it would fit with the Hirschfeld and how to glam the theatre up when compared with the fabulously refurbished&nbs

Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews
 Aug 1 2018, 12:17:34 PM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/first-look-moulin-rouge-musical-1131252

The Hollywood Reporter has just released an article with a pretty passionate looking photo of Satine and Christian.  Since I haven't seen the show. this is as close as I can get. 

Many people love this fast paced show and do not discuss chemistry in their comments so that's fine by me. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You