News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Wallman2

Member Name: Wallman2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
 Sep 17 2023, 11:25:21 PM

Had quite the weekend seeing The Cottage, Gutenberg, Purlie Victorious, The Shark is Broken-- snapshot assessments below:

The Cottage- mildly amusing at best, solid work by Eric McCormack and Alex Moffatt, seemed longer than it was, audience seemed to like it- the staging was non-stop frenetic (which I guess is appropriate for farce)...the set was a treat...

Gutenberg-- I felt  that off-Broadway had come to Broadway, Josh and Andrew are so gifted and likable, I definitely c

Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
 Aug 12 2023, 12:21:19 AM

If Kenny Leon is at the top of his game, as he was last year with "TopDog/Underdog", and is matched by Leslie Odom, Jr. (this is first time back on Broadway since he won a Tony for "Hamilton" and Kara Young (who was nominated for a Tony two years in a row) this could be a surprise.  The play was a runner up for the Pulitzer Prize.   If its merit is evident, there's a lack of plays on Broadway in September and October, so it could well find an audience.   

What Are Your “Must See’s” if the new season?
 Jun 17 2023, 07:11:16 AM

Prayer for the French Republic

Pal Joey 

Purlie Victorious

Merrily We Roll Along

I Can Get It For You Wholesale

Home 

Waiting for Godoy starring Keanu Reeves
 Apr 6 2023, 01:34:26 AM

Godot?  again?   

There have been powerhouse casts:  Robin Williams and Steve Martin; Nathan Lane and Bill Irwin; Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart ...now Reeves and Winter?  

Well, it does need minimal scenery.  No doubt Jamie Lloyd will wind up directing it in a very hip interpretation.

Will we ever see a Broadway revival of August: Osage County?
 Mar 30 2023, 09:15:49 PM

Distinctive Baritone...Not sure why you think it ended up in the red.  I had a friend who was an investor in the original production and said it returned its investment and made a profit of almost 3 to 1.   I saw it with Phylicia Rashad, who was magnificent in the role.  I believe it was one of the first times that a black actress had replaced on Broadway in a role that was written, especially as it was a family play with white actresses playing the daughters, for a white

PICTURES FROM HOME - P/reviews & News Thread
 Feb 5 2023, 01:00:06 AM

Had seen this earlier in the run and was invited by a friend to see it again tonight.  I thought the show had been tightened, and that the performances were sterling.  Surprised how moved I was by Burstein; Zoe Wanamaker was superb and Nathan Lane was truly wonderful.  The play itself, for my money, truly works as an exploration of the art of photography and as a very human look at the interpersonal relationships of parents and their offspring.   The humor is reflecte

A Man of No Importance coming to Broadway?
 Jan 26 2023, 10:23:14 PM

I thought it was an excellent production when I saw it down at the CSC and was looking forward to its transfer.  Parsons has been a big asset to Broadway and I think at long last he would have secured a Tony nomination for his sensitive and compelling performance.  This musical would have been a perfect fit for a Circle in the Square and certainly would have gained this very worthy musical a wider audience than it has ever had.

Broadway Poll: Spring 2023 Show You Most Want to See
 Jan 7 2023, 02:12:33 PM

CAMELOT-- excited to see how Aaron Sorkin has revised the book

SHUCKED- Robert Horne is a very funny writer

SWEENEY TODD-Annaleigh Ashford and Josh Groban make it a must see in my book

Would like to be more excited about the line-up of plays, though Laura Linney and Jessica Hecht in the play at the Manhttan Theatre Club is a very appealing entry.

ROOM will open this spring
 Jan 7 2023, 12:00:00 AM

Danielle Deadwyler, who was so terrific in Till, would be wonderful in this.  

What's next for the Jacobs?
 Dec 26 2022, 05:35:26 PM

PARADE- late February at the earliest.  Should be an interesting transfer....

Is Jordan E. Cooper, at 27, really the youngest playwright in Broadway history?
 Dec 18 2022, 12:35:28 PM

Yes, Queen Latifah, who may not have checked any facts, announced to the audience at last night's performance that Cooper was the youngest playwright in history to have a play on Broadway.  I guess she can be forgiven since she's never been on Broadway and may not have a sense of history apropos playwrights like Terrence McNally, Ira Levin, Moss Hart, Shelagh Delaney, Arthur Kopit, and (possibly) Herb Gardner per some respondents to this thread.  Her team should have advised

Is Jordan E. Cooper, at 27, really the youngest playwright in Broadway history?
 Nov 27 2022, 09:03:24 PM

When David Merrick presented Shelagh Delaney's acclaimed play "A Taste of Honey," it was claimed that she was the youngest playwright in Broadway history at 21 years old.  That was quite a cast-- Joan Plowright, Angela Lansbury, Nigel Davenport,Billy Dee Williams.  It played for almost a year and Plowright won the Tony Award as Best Actress.

Cooper may be the second youngest but...it's still quite an achievement, even if he is 6 years older.  

OHIO STATE MURDERS Previews
 Nov 23 2022, 11:56:35 PM

Surprised by how much I liked this.  I found it a completely compelling and beautifully designed and directed production.  Audra's performance is heartbreaking and mesmerizing...the play lasts 70 minutes.  My only concern was the interview we heard at the beginning of the show...it must be the playwright but it was a little confusing.   And not sure it was necessary.  But I am recommending this one highly.

Cast Set for LEOPOLDSTADT
 Aug 30 2022, 08:41:37 AM

Really looking forward to this but orchestra seats are priced at over $200 during the week.  That's very high for a straight play.  Hoping there will be discounts!  

Too Early Tony Nom Predictions
 Feb 18 2022, 01:59:04 PM

"when it comes to musicals (no closed show has ever won Best Musical or Best Revival)".    I think that statement is incorrect.  Didn't "Hallelujah Baby!" win the Tony for Best Musical way back when and it had been closed for several weeks when the Awards were given out?

The Minutes, Hangmen or American Buffalo?
 Feb 17 2022, 05:00:27 PM

"Buffalo" has been a thrilling evening of theatre for me and I think this cast is a knockout.  Rockwell, Fishburne, Criss.  I'm excited.  It's at the top of my list...Mamet's dialogue is sharp and it's one of his best.  Just my two cents.  I've always been a fan of Tracy Letts' plays and I can't wait to see Noah Reid on stage.  He was pretty wonderful in "Schitt's Creek".   And I hear the play is very, very good (funny and powerful) from friends who saw it when it was in previews during the pandemic.   And timely.  Re "Hangmen"-- I do like Martin McDonagh's work, though I'm not really familiar with the cast.  Also have heard good things about it.  But Buffalo and The Minutes have such stellar casts, so I'd go for those two first.  Tracy Letts is also a great actor ("Virginia Woolf" and it's always fun to see Blair Brown and Austin Pendleton.

New Pal Joey Revival
 Oct 6 2021, 12:19:35 AM

Pal Joey is the best of the Rodgers and Hart shows and it was ground-breaking in that it was the first Broadway musical to depict an anti-hero at the center of the story.  Though it received a mixed receptionin in its initial production,  when it was revived in 1952 it actually won the NY Drama Critics Circle Awad for Best Musical...I don't think a revival ever won again.  And it's interesting that Jule Styne ("Gypsy," "Funny Girl" produced the 1952 production which was also a "hit".    I am really looiking forward to this revival or revisal, I think that placing this show in a club will in the South Side of Chicago will justify inclusion of additional songs.  They should find room for "Ten Cents a Dance" as well as "Where or When".  Perhaps this will do for "Pal Joey's" score what "Crazy For You" did for "Girl Crazy".  

show of titles- don't miss it
 Jun 14 2021, 09:59:05 PM

This was such a surprise.  Didn't know what to expect and there was just one wonderful number after another.  I loved the "Mame" tribute to Angela Lansbury and then to hear her sing at the end of the show- so lovely.  Some songs I didn't know were real surprises:  the lovely Richard Rodgers "No Strings" sung by Steven Pasquale and Phillipa Soo; the gorgeous Charles Strouse ballad "Golden Boy" sung by Kerry 
Butler and Strouse

Tonys vs. Oscars
 Apr 23 2021, 11:19:41 PM

If the Oscars supposedly are headed to very disappointing ratings, what does that portend for the Tonys being carried on a network as a major event?  

TONY AWARDS 2020 OR 2021?
 Nov 25 2020, 11:59:26 PM

In late August it was announced that the Tonys would happen this fall and the nominations were announced six weeks ago and as of yet there doesn't seem to be a date.  Will the awards happen before 2021 and I guess the real question now is what will be the interest factor?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You