What's next for the Jacobs?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:19pm

Sad to see Almost Famous close. That being said, what could be the next tenant at this theatre?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:25pm

Well it’s good timing for a theater to open up for the annual rush of new shows in March/April. 

Dylan Smith4
#3What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:28pm

Could Sing Street aim for the Jacobs? I didn't know if they wanted to be in the current season or wait till next season.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#4What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:29pm

Too bad something like "Shucked" couldn't move to the Jacobs. It's a much better theater and the location is far superior to The Nederlander. 

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#5What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:30pm

The Notebook would be my guess.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:48pm

The Notebook, Sing Street and a Chess revival come to mind.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

InTheBathroom1
#7What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:50pm

Guessing The Notebook as well. 

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#8What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:58pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Could Sing Street aim for the Jacobs? I didn't know if they wanted to be in the current season or wait till next season."

I'm honestly afraid for that show given it was not a hugely popular movie (unlike The Notebook) and it's been trying for so many years to get any traction. It was successful in Boston but not everything needs to come to Broadway and without stars, I don't see it succeeding unfortunately. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:26pm

Parade?

OhHiii
#10What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:39pm

Most likely guess is probably either Parade or The Notebook, slightly leaning toward the latter. 

I can't see a world where the producers of Lempicka risk it in this market, but that would be another that could be ready in theory. 

SouthernCakes
#11What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:48pm

Lempicka is holding out for the Kerr, I think. 

it would be a good size for The Notebook. 

OhHiii
#12What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:59pm

SouthernCakes said: "Lempicka is holding out for the Kerr, I think.

it would be a good size for The Notebook.
"

Ah. Unless Hadestown star casts in 2023, then I don't see it around come Fall, so that makes sense. It didn't do stellar this past Summer, so I doubt it had the momentum going into next Summer where advance sales into performances are low and shows rely on in-week sales to make up the difference from tourists.

Dylan Smith4
#13What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/19/22 at 10:29pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Parade?"

Oh please let that happen! 

Fosse76
#14What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 12:41am

With all these suggestions, these producers might as well just burn their money in the fireplace. I don't see any of these making any money. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 12:51am

Fosse76 said: "With all these suggestions, these producers might as well just burn their money in the fireplace. I don't see any of these making any money."

idk, NOTEBOOK seems like a pretty good bet. On paper it has a lot of similarities to WAITRESS.

PARADE could have a lot of potential, but in terms of weekly running costs that would be more expensive than INTO THE WOODS because of its cast and orchestra size. Unless they chop it down, which would take away some of the magic.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#16What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 1:12am

I guess the question is more if this theatre will be filled this season.

I feel like if Parade and/or SIng Street and/or the Notebook were interested in coming in this season, they probably would have already claimed some combo of the Jones, Lyceum, and Barrymore. The Jacobs is probably more desirable than those due to its' location, but not THAT much that the entire calculus for coming to Broadway changes with it being available. 

A Strange Loop was announced a year ago today, so I guess we could still get an announcement sometime soon. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 4:14am

There’s no question the theatre will be filled this season. 

BETTY22
#18What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 9:42am

Expect a play or a revival. They don't want anything new and great competing with Some Like It Hot for Best Musical.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#19What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 9:59am

BETTY22 said: "Expect a play or a revival. They don't want anything new and great competing with Some Like It Hot for Best Musical.

"

I think you mean competing with Kimberly Akimbo. 

That being sid, I agree. I think it'll be a play. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#20What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 1:38pm

jkcohen626 said: "I guess the question is more if this theatre will be filled this season.

I feel like if Parade and/or SIng Street and/or the Notebook were interested in coming in this season, they probably would have already claimed some combo of the Jones, Lyceum, and Barrymore. The Jacobs is probably more desirable than those due to its' location, but not THAT much that the entire calculus for coming to Broadway changes with it being available.

A Strange Loop was announced a year ago today, so I guess we could still get an announcement sometime soon.
"

Notebook, Sing Street,  Chess and Lempicka-Walter Kerr next season. Parade is not coming I heard.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SouthernCakes
#21What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 2:43pm

Parade would be stupid to come in this season. I don’t think the reviews were a slam dunk enough to say it’ll win over Sweeney or Camelot. 

JT2030 Profile Photo
JT2030
#22What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:07pm

I'm also not quite optimistic about their chances (and I hope to be wrong!) -- but 99% sure it's a transfer of the City Center "Parade" @ the Jacobs, announcement coming shortly.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#23What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:19pm

If something comes in for the spring, it will be a goner by mid-May, guaranteed. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#24What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:36pm

“If something comes in for the spring, it will be a goner by mid-May, guaranteed.”

you really out here gunning for the most dismal person on this board title huh. 

mar6411
#25What's next for the Jacobs?
Posted: 12/20/22 at 3:38pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "If something comes in for the spring, it will be a goner by mid-May, guaranteed."

WTF?!