pixeltracker

Postponed Indefinitely: ROOM On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

Postponed Indefinitely: ROOM On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Postponed Indefinitely: ROOM On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:30pm

BroadwayWorld has learned that a stage adaptation of Emma Donoghue's bestselling novel Room will open on Broadway in April 2023. The production is expected to be a limited run through September. No casting or theater has been announced.

The production is directed by Cora Bissett, with script by Emma Donoghue, and songs by Cora Bissett and Kathryn Joseph. Previously adapted by Donoghue for the screen, the film won Academy Awards, Golden Globes and BAFTAs.

With a world premiere in 2017 at Stratford East in the UK, Room previously also had a run via Mirvish productions in Toronto, also directed by Bissett, which was staged in Spring 2022 and was well received by critics.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Stage-Adaptation-of-Emma-Donoghues-ROOM-Will-Open-On-Broadway-This-Spring-20230106

Updated On: 3/16/23 at 01:30 PM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#2ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:45pm

I thought this was "The Room" for a moment and got VERY excited. I met Tommy Wiseau and he told me that he was working on a stage adaptation of it LOL. 

This should be good though, I wonder which theatre itll be going into.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:47pm

What’s the scoop on who will play the Brie Larson role? That’s the type of role that could win Tonys.

BCfitasafiddle
#4ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:48pm

I still think no one will beat Jodie Comer, but whoever stars in ROOM will have a great chance.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:49pm

This seems to have come out from nowhere? Wonder what theater it'll take?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:51pm

It’s rumored for the Lyceum. 

Oh look, a bibu!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:52pm

Per the audition notice they're looking for a black female for the lead role. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#8ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:53pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "What’s the scoop on who will play the Brie Larson role? That’s the type of role that could win Tonys."

That's dependent on whether the show is considered a play or musical...reading some of the reviews from the Toronto production they debated themselves. As its going to be a limited run, I would guess they are going the play route, but also that means they can reduce costs by using canned music. If its keeping with the 2 previous productions Ma will be played by a POC actress and since we did not get a name with this announcement I am guessing they will with a relatively unknown and hope for this to be a star is born moment. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:00pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "It’s rumored for the Lyceum."

Not denying the rumors, but it's very interesting to me that we haven't heard ANYTHING rumored for the Jones yet. They JUST spent a ton of money renovating it. It's surprising to me that they'd leave it open! 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:01pm

Is this a scenario where the music is in the background or do the characters sing? Does the actress who plays Ma have to be a singer as well as an actress? Who played the part in Toronto, could they be transferring with the show?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/6/23 at 02:01 PM

Jarethan
#11ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:06pm

Pretty encouraging that investors are still willing to invest in highly risky productions in a season in which a lot of excellently reviewed productions have died at the box office.  If they are indeed goi g with an unknown, that is pretty amazing.  I guess ‘the fabulous invalid’ is still alive and breathing.

DCS
#12ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:19pm

Didn't I see someone post somewhere on this board that Adrienne Warren was returning to Broadway this Spring in a production that hadn't been announced yet?  Could this be it???

Jarethan
#13ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:28pm

Looking like best actress in a play has the potential to be really strong.  Comer, Chastain, MacDonald, Linney, Wanamaker, and the lead in this.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#14ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:47pm

RippedMan said: "Per the audition notice they're looking for a black female for the lead role."

While it's set in an American city, I wonder if the politics of POC who have gone missing was or will explored at all with this casting choice. As POC myself, I can't help but bring that into the theatre with me. That said, it's one my favorite books, so I'm excited to see this adaptation.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Robbie516
#15ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:59pm

This is way to heavy of a play for it not to have some sort of a name lead it at least IMO

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#16ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:05pm

The Canadian productions were led by Alexis Gordon and she was beyond stunning.  Here are some promo videos  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5xd9hLOes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXXFamyQw4

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#17ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:06pm

I know I dreamcast her in everything, but Nina Arianda has everything needed to destroy this role.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#18ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:20pm

This probably needs a big name to make a dent at the box office, but in my mind this person’s star is quickly rising…paging Crystal Lucas Perry! 

forfivemoreminutes
#19ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:37pm

I'm genuinely curious about the business decision of bringing this to Broadway. I suppose it could do well as a limited run over the summer, but the subject matter is SO heavy that I can't see many people coming back to see it more than once. I suppose the "true crime, abducted woman in danger" type trope might draw in tourists, but the show itself is so intense that I'm just not sure. I saw it in Toronto and I thought it was very well done and an incredible piece of theatre (and Alexis Gordon was excellent), AND I also thought it was not something I would ever willingly sit through again. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#20ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:03pm

My initial reaction to this is "why"?  I love this film but it's...a lot. Also, the lead character is in her early 20s and these suggestions are women close to 40. Are they keeping with her being young? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#21ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:04pm

Love Arianda but she is a bit long in the tooth To play somebody in their early 20s 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#22ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:07pm

Maybe Glenda Jackson is available. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#23ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:26pm

Did you see this at Stratford East, Jake? 

Oh look, a bibu!

InTheBathroom1
#24ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 5:42pm

really feels like producers are throwing sh*t at a wall and seeing what sticks. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25ROOM will open this spring
Posted: 1/6/23 at 6:13pm

Jordan Catalano said: "My initial reaction to this is "why"? I love this film but it's...a lot. Also, the lead character is in her early 20s and these suggestions are women close to 40. Are they keeping with her being young?

Per the audition notice they want a young black female. I doubt they'll go with a name. Even someone like Adrianne Warren isn't a "name" outside of this board. Maybe they're hoping to win best New play over Fat Ham? But that seems unsure. 

Videos