pixeltracker

Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.

Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 2/1/23 at 9:38am

Ooh! I may have to add this to my list! Great to see an amazing actor back on the Broadway stage!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#3Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 8:13am

More Information.

Previews will begin on Thursday, September 7, 2023, with the opening date to be announced at a later date.  The production will play at The Music Box Theatre (239 West 45th St.).  

The complete cast includes: Vanessa Bell Calloway (Dreamgirls) as “Idella Landy”, Billy Eugene Jones(Fat Ham) as “Gitlow Judson”, Noah Pyzik (Addy & Uno) as “Deputy”, Noah  Robbins (To Kill a Mockingbird) as “Charlie Cotchipee”, Jay O. Sanders (Primary Trust) as “Ol’ Cap’n Cotchipee”, Heather Alicia Simms (Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike) as “Missy Judson”, Bill Timoney (Network) as  “Sheriff” and Tony Award nominee Kara Young (Cost of Living, Clyde’s) as “Lutiebelle Gussie Mae Jenkins”. 

Direction is by Tony Award winner Kenny Leon (Topdog/Underdog, A Soldier’s Play, A Raisin in the Sun). 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Award-WinnerLeslie-Odom-JrTo-Return-ToBroadway-InPURLIE-VICTORIOUSA-NON-CONFEDERATE-ROMP-THROUGH-THE-COTTON-PATCH-20230615

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Updated On: 6/15/23 at 08:13 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 8:15am

I love Leslie Odom, Jr., but Kenny Leon's direction has never done much for me.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

InTheBathroom1
#5Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 9:26am

I think Kenny can get great performances out of actors but I’ve never felt like he has a great sense of “vision” for any of his productions. Very standard and safe. But for Kara Young and Billy Eugene Jones, I will be there!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 10:11am

Interesting that Odom is the single ticket-selling star in this. Will be a big test for him at the box office.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 12:28pm

Did I miss the announcement about when tickets went on sale? No one seems to know about this show and they aren't advertising it. I guess it's too early to do that? Hm. 

BETTY22
#8Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 12:31pm

I can’t wait. Although a thought of Music Box as a musical house. But with Leslie it will sell 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#9Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 12:32pm

Sutton Ross said: "Did I miss the announcement about when tickets went on sale? No one seems to know about this show and they aren't advertising it. I guess it's too early to do that? Hm."

They went on sale last night on Telecharge. I mentioned it in a different thread about the 2023-24 Broadway season. I only checked after I read in that thread that the show was going into the Music Box and starting previews on 9/7. The show wasn't officially announced until this morning.

betyourass
#10Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:03pm

Is this a non-profit theater production of it? That'd explain the casting?

Jarethan
#11Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:09pm

BETTY22 said: "I can’t wait. Although a thought of Music Box as a musical house. But with Leslie it will sell"

Over the past 60 years, it has mostly been a non-musical house.  As more and more musicals were produced and fewer straight plays (at least open-ended straight plays, a lot of traditionally straight play houses have been used by musicals.  Clearly, given its small size, it is a great theatre for non-musicals and smaller musicals.  I say smaller because its grosses are limited by its size unless it is a monster hit and can command premium charges for too damn many seats.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#12Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:13pm

Opening night is September 21.

Oh look, a bibu!

ManOfLaMuncha
#13Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:48pm

I've never heard anyone sing "I've Got Love" except Melba Moore.  She sang the hell out of that song! I saw her in concert twice many years ago.  Once it was at an upstate theater and got very foggy.  People weren't showing up for the second show, so she invited us all to stay and sang for at least another hour!  Amazing voice, and very nice lady !

Going back and reading the article, this is the non musical version of the play.  I didn't know there were two.

Updated On: 6/15/23 at 01:48 PM

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#14Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:53pm

I believe this is a revival of the play and not the musical

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...
Updated On: 6/15/23 at 01:53 PM

ManOfLaMuncha
#15Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:58pm

Blue_Lotus said: "I believe this is a revival of the playand not the musical"

Thanks, I just had an "Oh, I'd better click the article link in first message.  I didn't realize there were two and I came back to change my comment.  Thank you for posting.  What a cast in the original play!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 2:01pm

betyourass said: "Is this a non-profit theater production of it? That'd explain the casting?"

No. Read the article. It’s a commercial production, which makes the casting all the more puzzling. I kind of doubt Leslie will sell much better than Audra in a straight play...but we’ll see.

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#17Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 3:10pm

ManOfLaMuncha said: "I've never heard anyone sing "I've Got Love" except Melba Moore. She sang the hell out of that song! I saw her in concert twice many years ago. Once it was at an upstate theater and got very foggy. People weren't showing up for the second show, so she invited us all to stay and sang for at least another hour! Amazing voice, and very nice lady !

Going back and reading the article, this is the non musical version of the play. I didn't know there were two.
"

You’re welcome. Anika Noni Rose played Lutiebelle in the City Centers Encore production of Purlie and sang “I Got Love” decently. I believe it’s on YouTube. 

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...
Updated On: 6/15/23 at 03:10 PM

ManOfLaMuncha
#18Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 6/15/23 at 4:34pm

Blue_Lotus said: "ManOfLaMuncha said: "I've never heard anyone sing "I've Got Love" except Melba Moore. She sang the hell out of that song! I saw her in concert twice many years ago. Once it was at an upstate theater and got very foggy. People weren't showing up for the second show, so she invited us all to stay and sang for at least another hour! Amazing voice, and very nice lady !

Going back and reading the article, this is the non musical version of the play. I didn't know there were two.
"

You’re welcome. Anika Noni Rose played Lutiebelle in the City Centers Encore production of Purlie and sang “I Got Love” decently. I believe it’s on YouTube.
"

Wow thanks!  She really did that song justice :)

Sutton Ross
#20Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 7/11/23 at 4:47pm

We know on here but everyone interested in seeing this: Please tell your friends and family that this is not the musical so people aren't surprised/bummed out when they sit for a play. Many people are confused as it won Tonys for a musical and it's performed much more often than the play it's based on. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#21Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:07pm

I was getting the occasional targeted ad for this on social media and it was just what looked like a stock photo of a country church and with the production info. It was extremely vague and cheap looking and seemed to assume everybody knows the play.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BoringBoredBoard40
#22Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:07pm

Very odd that Leslie has built a career as a singer...and is coming back to Broadway in a play?

Sutton Ross
#23Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:09pm

Kad said: "I was getting the occasional targeted ad for this on social media and it was just what looked like a stock photo of a country church and with the production info. It was extremely vague and cheap looking and seemed to assume everybody knows the play."

Same. 

perfectpenguin
#24Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:18pm

Kad said: "I was getting the occasional targeted ad for this on social media and it was just what looked like a stock photo of a country church and with the production info. It was extremely vague and cheap looking and seemed to assume everybody knows the play."

I... do not know the play. Or that it was even a musical. I know almost nothing about it. Is this one I should do my research on before going in? I like going in each show not knowing much about it. 

betyourass
#25Leslie Odom, Jr. sets Broadway return in revival of PURLIE VICTORIOUS, directed by Kenny Leon.
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:33pm

Yeah this artwork is bad. I wish it was the musical.