News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for l0l

Member Name: l0l
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Favorite Short Lived Musicals?  Jul 23 2019, 11:03:08 AM

Lysistrata Jones

Choir Boy Reviews  Jan 8 2019, 10:20:06 PM

Miles2Go2 said: "My friend just got out of Waitress and confirmed that the ambulances are still there. Is this typical for opening night as far as precautions?

I heard the Clintons were in attendance at opening night, so maybe it’s a security precaution for them. Then again, the police car and ambulances all had their lights flashing, so that seems a bit odd. They passed right as Band’s Visit was letting out, the flashing red lights were neatly projected o

Choir Boy Reviews  Jan 8 2019, 08:56:38 PM
Just left A Bands Visit which is right next to Choir Boy. There were two ambulances and a police car. Not sure whats up.
After Glow - upcoming Chicago production  Dec 29 2018, 12:28:41 PM

There are plays that ARE about those experiences and lives, so why be mad that these two particular plays aren't? What is the point of holding that against After Gkow? because people wanted to see naked men, not an exploration of intersectionality. That's like saying you hate Chinese food because it's not pizza"

Those plays are nowhere near Broadway, sadly. My complaint is that Broadway and off-Broadway is all atrocious Chinese food, no pizza at all.
<

What would you see if you had a time machine and tickets to 3 shows?  Dec 28 2018, 06:15:27 PM

1. Original or 2013 production of "Einstein on the Beach"

2. Original "Waiting for Godot"

3. "Yerma" from earlier this year. Not sure how I missed it.

After Glow - upcoming Chicago production  Dec 28 2018, 06:09:26 PM

markypoo said: "The cast is incredibly gorgeous; IMHO."

I question your taste if this is why you see theatre.

IMHO Afterglow was an embarrassment of gratuitous nudity wrapped in a story that was so ignorant of its own privilege and lack of a coherent message. I was sitting there, hoping it would end as soon as possible. There were no redeeming qualities to it. The recent "Daniel's Husband" wasn't as bad, and it was still atrocious. Why write

Your Theatre Year In Review 2018  Dec 22 2018, 12:09:23 PM

How many shows have you seen this year? 48, 20 on Broadway, the rest off- and off-off-Broadway. 29 plays, 17 musicals, and 2 stand-up performances.

Show you liked/loved the most? "1969: The Second Man" by NYTW and "Hitler's Tasters" by New Light Theatre Project. Also want to point out "Choir Boy" on Broadway and "Fidler afn Dakh" by Folksbiene.

Show you liked least/hated

CHOIR BOY PREVIEWS  Dec 16 2018, 12:08:56 PM
A breath of fresh air! The intersections of black gayness in a masculine environment, much like “Moonlight”. The eagerness of the audience to share during the post-show talk-back only illustrates how important a play like this is.

This is a good gay play, unlike that awful mess that is “Daniel’s Husband”

Daniel's Husband cast interview  Dec 7 2018, 02:14:06 AM
Major spoilers ahead.

Gay plays are in a state of end-of-life crisis. Not all gay plays, but specifically the plays about affluent-white-gays. In the year 2018 there is no more substantial stories worth telling, it appears, at least based on “Daniel’s Husband”. A play set in the post-gay marriage era, where the more privileged gays are left with such issues as whether to redecorate the house, whether to invite friends for dinner, whether to get a marriage certificate or stay as long-ter

Daniel's Husband cast interview  Dec 6 2018, 12:31:02 PM
Such a bad piece of theatre. Glad it's closing.
Head Over Heels Closing January 6  Nov 26 2018, 11:58:11 AM

I guess the Macy's parade performance did not bring an overwhelming influx of ticket sales.

Macys parade  Nov 22 2018, 01:59:09 PM

It's nice they gave Peppermint a couple of lines in the Head Over Heels performance. I don't remember her appearing on stage until later in the actual show.

Unsee Me - Frogs with Nathan Lane  Nov 20 2018, 10:20:00 PM

robskynyc said: "AFTERGLOW"

Oh lord yes! Such a waste of everyone's time, it's a surprise it ran for a year.

Trigger Warnings Come to the Stage  Nov 19 2018, 11:46:30 AM

This is nothing new, especially at smaller theatres who care more about the mental health of their patrons.

Saw "Lured" at Theater for the New City, a play about Russian neo-nazis abducting gay men and subjecting them to sadistic acts while filming them. The ticket person was very explicit that the show contains "extreme violence". I've been amused by trigger warnings at other theatres, but this time I did hesitate for a split second. Being gay from Easter E

Cher's EGOT?  Nov 18 2018, 01:44:26 PM

Cher is a Tony short of a full EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony) award suite. She is a producer on "The Cher Show". If it wins Best Musical, does Cher get a Tony as a producer? That would complete the set, would it not?

What do you think are the chances of "The Cher Show" winning Best Musical?

My First Hold  Nov 17 2018, 10:15:13 AM
In my time seeing hundreds of shows (both professional and amateur) I have experienced only one hold. In the London production of Lion King in Jan 2017. In a scene with Timon and Pumbaa a large set piece did not fly out as expected. The actors repeated their dialogue twice in a bit of panic, before the curtain was lowered and the stage manager announced a technical issue. 5 minutes later they continued with the next scene.
Man Shouts Heil Hitler at Fiddler Performance  Nov 15 2018, 02:46:13 PM

This is terrifying. Seems like the book "The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth is becoming real life.

Are you more of a musical, or Play person?  Nov 14 2018, 02:11:27 PM

Way more of into plays than musicals. I'll even go a step further and say that the best stuff is off- and off-off-Broadway. Among the 40 or so shows I've seen in the past year, the best stuff was off-off-Broadway: "1969: The Second Man" at NYTW and "Hitler's Tasters" at IRT Theater.

Week of Christmas show tickets availabilities Dec 26-29  Nov 11 2018, 02:04:40 PM

Given that for most shows the Christmas-NYE week is the highest grossing of the year, with average ticket prices way above usual, I'd say it's absolutely the worst time to be looking for discount tickets. Why not do so a week or two later?

KING KONG Reviews  Nov 9 2018, 11:42:48 AM
The best pull quote I’ve found so far is from Vulture:

“as slick and shiny as an oil spill“

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You