News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for thez914

thez914 Profile Photo
Member Name: thez914
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

I need help picking shows!  May 15 2008, 04:35:44 PM
I'm in New York for the weekend and need some serious help narrowing down the shows I would like to see. I would love to hear what everyone's opinions are. (I could search but, frankly, I don't have the time or patience.) My list:

1. August: Osage County
2. The 39 Steps

And then 3 of the following:
Les Liasons Dangereuses
Boeing-Boeing
Macbeth
South Pacific
Xanadu

Let me know what you think!

re: Best contrapuntal moments in a show (or movie, or ANYTHING)  Jan 3 2008, 05:21:56 PM
Tower of Babble from GODSPELL
A Step Too Far from AIDA
I also think the opening to Mama Will Provide from ONCE ON THIS ISLAND is a good example.

Pippin...good call on Moon Trio from COC. I get chills just thinking about it. The Moon, Emmie And Stuart Trio also deserves a mention.

re: Rush Info for specific shows  May 7 2007, 04:50:46 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anyone know anything about the rush policies for Coast of Utopia?

Rush Info for specific shows  May 7 2007, 02:19:34 PM
Hey all,

I'm going to be in New York June 1-4, and already have tickets to see Eurydice at Second Stage on Sunday night. I am also interested in getting day-of tickets for the following shows:

Coram Boy
Spring Awakening
110 in the Shade
Coast of Utopia
Chicago

I'll be seeing them Friday eve, Saturday mat and eve, and Sunday mat. Does anyone know the best way to go about getting the cheapest tickets on short notice? (Rush vs. SRO vs. TKTS...) Also, if yo

Aaron Sorkin should go back to playwrighting...  Dec 13 2006, 11:24:14 PM
...not because his work in television is fleeting, but because I'd love to see what he could come up with in a work written for the stage. I was just reading this in a biography of his:

"Aaron Sorkin grew up in Scarsdale, a suburb of New York City where he was very involved in his high school drama and theater club. After graduating from Syracuse University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theater, Sorkin intended to pursue a career in acting. It took him only a short time to realize tha

re: Preview of 'Grease: You're The One That I Want' Coming Up On NBC  Dec 13 2006, 11:10:10 PM
I gotta say...this actually got me more interested in the show. Not to see the performers, but because Kathleen Marshall is involved...I had no idea! That actually makes me think this show (and the revival) might legitimately be worth seeing.
re: My Thoughts on....the Spring Awakening Album  Dec 13 2006, 11:03:29 PM
I just listened to Touch Me listening for Skylar (damn)...and it prompted another question: Can anyone give some info as to what's happening during the dialogue section between (i assume) Moritz and Melchior. It sounds like he breaks off awkwardly at the beginning...and I can't really understand what he's saying. Thanks in advance...
re: My Thoughts on....the Spring Awakening Album  Dec 13 2006, 10:03:15 PM
Would anyone be interested in taking the time to point out the parts (if any) when Skylar Astin can be heard on the recording? I've read several assertions that his is the best voice in the show. Thanks!
re: Songs from shows that *tear* at your heart-strings.  Jul 31 2006, 10:27:19 PM
I didn't take the time to read through all the responses, but "The Music Still Plays On" from A NEW BRAIN is the only song that has ever made me cry upon first listen. The lyrics are so raw and brutally honest that you can't help but be completely drained by the end.
re: What Show Do You Love That Was Not A Giant Hit?  Jul 23 2006, 09:41:01 PM
Floyd Collins
A New Brain

re: Favorite recent discoveries NOT currently playing on Broadway or off-br  Jul 23 2006, 09:38:04 PM
Once on this Island...I bought the CD not knowing anything about the show except that it was Ahrens and Flaherty, and I absolutely love it. I can't wait to see a performance of it.
Anyone know where to find...  Jun 27 2006, 07:44:01 PM
...a list of the COST of rights for shows? I know of http://www.musicals101.com/alphinde.htm as far as determining which publishing house to contact, but I want to know if there's somewhere I can determine the cost of producing a show without calling the company directly. Thanks!
re: Future Movie Musicals?  Jun 13 2006, 09:23:49 PM
My top three are RAGTIME, MISS SAIGON, and ONCE ON THIS ISLAND.
re: TAKE THE PLUNGE  Jun 11 2006, 01:49:25 PM
Live with Paul
Sleep with Sutton
Throw Bob off a cliff (but after he wins his Tony)

LAURA BENANTI
GARY BEACH
CHUCK COOPER

re: TAKE THE PLUNGE  Jun 11 2006, 01:38:18 PM
Ok guys...I think you misunderstood. You don't get to have your own picks for who you want to live with/sleep with/throw off a cliff (that would be too easy)...you have to use the three people from the previous post. For example, my first post was:

NATHAN LANE
PATTI LUPONE
KRISTEN CHENOWETH

That doesn't mean I want to live with Nathan, sleep with Patti, and throw Kristen off a cliff (though oddly, I'd be OK with that). It mean the next poster has to decide who they woul

TAKE THE PLUNGE (theatre game)  Jun 11 2006, 01:12:19 PM
So...I thought I'd take a game I love to play with friends and share it with the BWW community. Many of you have probably played this before, but I thought I'd apply it to Broadway stars and see what happens. Basically, you are given three names (in this case, of current or past Broadway performers) and must decide which you will:

-Live with for the rest of your life (never having any kind of sexual contact)
-Sleep with, then never see again
-Throw off a cliff
<

re: How Do YOU Get Into Character?  Jun 3 2006, 05:11:39 PM
One trick that I've adhered to is to find a song (often without words or lyrics) that evokes in me the emotional and psychological mindset of the character I'm playing. A lot of the time I'll use music from the period of the play that reminds me of my character. I'll just shut myself up in the dressing room or green room about 20 minutes before curtain, and from there on out I'm in the head of the character.

This doesn't necessarily mean I'm "in character" until the show is over, but I

re: Why am I doubting this?  Jun 2 2006, 03:13:02 PM
Didn't Thornton Wilder have a wife??

Oh...and that explains a lot about the movie version of Phantom of the Opera...

re: The Last Five Years - In Chronological Order?!?  Jun 2 2006, 02:51:43 PM
As far as I know, that production didn't put the songs in chronological order. The director just chose to have the actors interact with each other rather than having them sing alone on stage. Plus, he materialized the character of Elise (is that right?), which the reviewer didn't like. But nothing was done to alter the song order.

You know, I'd actually be very interested to see/hear the songs in chronological order (not in performance, of course). It would definitely put the two storie

re: Photo Coverage: 'Scoundrels' Welcomes Lucie Arnaz  May 25 2006, 03:21:27 PM
I saw the show on Tuesday for the first time, and the costume didn't bother me. I don't see what about it was so out of character for Muriel...especially the way Ms. Arnaz played her.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You