News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for scooter38432

scooter38432 Profile Photo
Member Name: scooter38432
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

If shows had a money back guarantee....  Mar 3 2010, 05:55:41 AM
Chu Chem
The Chairs
Mary Poppins
James Joyce's The Dead
Starlight Express
Beauty & the Beast
Starmites
Jekyll & Hyde

re: Corbin Bleu heads for 'Heights' !?!  Dec 9 2009, 12:45:25 PM
This board makes me feel so damned old.

Who the hell is this guy? And why, oh why, if his last name is Bleu would his parents name him Corbin?!? Is it a stage name? If so, I ask WHY again.

All I can see when I read his name is Chicken Cordon Bleu.

However, if LMM, the director and the producers think this kid can do it, shouldn't we all be giving him the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgment until he's seen playing the role?

re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?  Dec 9 2009, 12:33:23 PM
I could honestly take or leave her. However, the two cuts I've heard from her CD were better than I had expected them to be.

My opinion is that if it takes a 50-something spinster from Britain to make more people listen to showtunes (and admit to doing so), then more power to her. She's doing more for showtune lovers on a global scale than anyone naysayers on these boards, that's for sure!

Go, Susan. Keep on singing and selling CDs of showtunes. Amen.

re: Matthew Hydzik Named West Side Story's New Tony; Cavenaugh Exits Dec. 1  Dec 3 2009, 11:17:35 AM
I saw Matthew Hydzik while Cavenaugh was out, and I was very unimpressed. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he just had no charisma whatsoever. He blended into the background. The chemistry between him and Josefina was nonexistent, and on his big, long note in "Maria" he put in this weird pop-lick thing and he almost looked as though he expected the audience to applaud mid-song, a la American Idol.

I'm shocked they're moving him up to the full-time Tony. I'm sure he'll

re: Unintentionally Racist Showtunes  Oct 15 2009, 09:36:46 AM
There are lots of racial slurs (against Native Americans) in LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE'S "Me a Heap Big Injun".

(Additionally, there's a horribly un-PC song called "Say Uncle" with an older man ogling over a bunch of schoolgirls.)

re: Vanessa Williams in Kiss of the Spider Woman  Oct 9 2009, 12:39:16 PM
Wow, it seems that I'm in the minority here.

I saw both Chita and Vanessa as Aurora. Chita was FAR and AWAY better than Vanessa in the role. Chita was unforgettable. Vanessa was so bland (as she always seems to be onstage -- and don't even get me started on her dull-as-dishwater Witch in INTO THE WOODS.)

I did like Howard McGillin very much. I even liked Brian Stokes Mitchell (whose only other work I liked was RAGTIME).

My SPIDERWOMAN playlist has all of Chita's number

re: TOMMY TUNE'S BYE BYE BIRDIE  Oct 9 2009, 12:26:51 PM
I saw this tour. Overall, it was pretty lackluster with only Marc Kudisch and a hilarious Steve Zahn (as Hugo Peabody) as the only real standouts. Ann Reinking just couldn't handle the vocals and Tommy Tune was just altogether too fey.

Damn, Kudisch is hot. (On a personal note, I got to work with him shortly after this tour at NSMT in Phantom with Kristin Chenoweth. He definitely continued to be hot.)

re: Actors With Fake 'Stage Voices'  Oct 8 2009, 08:49:10 AM
Brian Stokes Mitchell
re: HAMLET Reviews  Oct 8 2009, 08:01:58 AM
Hey Jude. Sorry about the reviews, man.

From today's Washington Post:

"If the verse includes an allusion to heaven, you can bet Law will point to the sky. If Hamlet makes a reference to a jungle animal, sure as shootin' Law turns into one. For every action of any other actor on the stage, he supplies four, and he never stops gesticulating. Is the idea here that Law's Hamlet thinks all the world's a college stage?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/07/AR2009100701118.html

re: Best Performances You Have Seen  Sep 1 2009, 04:22:25 PM
Cherry Jones in THE HEIRESS
Maggie Smith in LETTICE & LOVAGE
Angela Lansbury in SWEENEY TODD
George Hearn in SWEENEY TODD
Joanna Gleason in INTO THE WOODS
Norbert Leo Butz in DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
Nathan Lane in GUYS & DOLLS
Cherry Jones in DOUBT
Lois Smith in THE GRAPES OF WRATH
Donna Murphy in THE KING AND I
Anita Morris in NINE
Jarrod Emick in DAMN YANKEES
Rebecca Luker in THE SECRET GARDEN
Sherie Rene Scott in AIDA
Lillias White in DR

re: The Last 5 Year Tonys!  Jun 22 2009, 01:45:49 PM
BEST MUSICAL
In the Heights

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
Hair

BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL
Bartlett Sher, South Pacific

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Norbert Leo Butz, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Victoria Clark, The Light in the Piazza

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Gregory Jbara, Billy Elliot

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Mary Louise Wilson, Grey Gard

re: Who has the perfect, pure voice?  Jul 21 2008, 01:57:10 PM
Yeah, Lea Salonga was the first one to come to my mind too.

Judy Kuhn is another.
Howard McGillin.

Brian Stokes Mitchell??!?!?! Seriously? His terrible scoops and slides are almost worse than Robert Westenberg's!

Which show(s) to see?  Jul 2 2008, 10:40:21 AM
I've seen quite a few of the current Broadway shows and I'm planning another trip for late August. I've got one or two slots in my weekend open...

Out of the following shows, which do you recommend and why?

THE 39 STEPS
BOEING-BOEING
(TITLE OF SHOW)
XANADU

There's no need to suggest other shows that are not on my list as I've probably seen most of them.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

The worst Tonys. EVER!  Jun 19 2008, 01:34:56 PM
Cut Whoopi some slack!

Granted, her performance wasn't consistent, but she's a popular entertainer who actually likes Broadway shows enough to help to promote them. She's a theater person just like all of us here. She's doing something most of us can't do, which is to try to muster up some interest in theater from the general public.

Her heart is in the right place. A for effort.

Peace.

re: How did SOUTH win 'Scenic Design' over SITPWG???  Jun 16 2008, 08:24:47 AM
I'm so relieved to see that so many others feel the same way I do.

I just returned from seeing 3 shows this weekend: SOUTH PACIFIC, GYPSY and SUNDAY IN THE PARK.

SITPWG was BY FAR the most effective, thrilling and moving production of them all. How it went home empty-handed is beyond me. I was so moved by this show. It's so sad that it's closing soon.

If you haven't seen it yet. Get yourself to Studio 54, pronto!

re: If YOU could choose one and only one 2008 Tony winner, who/what would i  Jun 9 2008, 09:01:34 AM
Andy Blankenbuehler for his thrilling choreography in IN THE HEIGHTS.
re: SIDE SHOW Workshop Cast Announced!  Jun 5 2008, 11:05:12 AM
"Emily Skinner used to be a lot less voluptuous..."

Well, didn't we all? : )

Their body types were noticeably different on stage.

re: How did The Life (or anything else) lose out to Titanic?  Jun 5 2008, 10:48:59 AM
Just because it runs a long time doesn't mean it's good! Think CATS and PHANTOM.

JEKYLL & HYDE, for me personally, was one of the worst Broadway shows I've ever seen.

And don't even get me started on Hasselhoff.

re: Are there understudies on Tony day?  Jun 5 2008, 10:40:34 AM
I saw the Tony-day matinee performance of CAROUSEL the year that it won for Best Revival (also at the Vivian Beaumont).

I was very disappointed that we had understudies for two major roles. We didn't see Michael Hayden or Shirey Verrett. Instead, we saw Davis Gaines as Billy (who was woefully bland) and some woman who was pretty forgettable as Nettie. (Thank God we saw Audra -- on the day she won her first Tony.)

It's never predictable.

Have fun at SOUTH PACIFIC! I'm s

re: SIDE SHOW Workshop Cast Announced!  Jun 5 2008, 10:33:45 AM
I thought they got Wolfe because Larkin wasn't available.

Erin Davie is terrific.

Anyway...

Regarding body types...
Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner had very different body types too, and it was fine. Ripley is a slender, petite woman, Skinner is more voluptuous. Makes no difference.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You