Profile for SisterGeorge

Member Name: SisterGeorge
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sam Mendes will direct 4 films about The Beatles (one from each member's POV) to be theatrically released by Sony in 2027  Feb 20 2024, 06:45:48 PM

Kad said: "I can't imagine the Ringo installment will do as well as the others."

Unless Mendes includes a lot of flash-forwards to the Barbara Bach era. 

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway  Feb 16 2024, 12:56:18 PM

Leaf Coneybear said: "yyys said: "Wish it's at a different venue. That mezzanine is horrible. No rake in the orchestra eitherfrom what I've heard. Hope they don't jack up the prices on the extension."

This is the most I've ever paid for a show - I've heard terrible thingsabout the orchestra and as a 4"11'person I'm reeeaalllly hoping it's not that bad!
"

I haven't been in this theatre since the rev

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 12 2024, 12:33:08 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "John Adams said: "What would be so "wrong", or unacceptable if Galinda were LatinX? I can't think of a single reason why they tried to make her look white."

..........What? Ariana is not Latin American. She's white.
"

I don't know what Ariana Grande is and I don't care, but Latin American and white are not mutually exclusive. Many Latin Americans are white and many aren't. Kinda

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway  Feb 4 2024, 06:28:06 PM

After all the excitement over this show on this board, I went ahead a few days ago and filled the last remaining slot of my March trip with it. (over Teeth, a return to Sweeney with the new leads, and several of the new Broadway musicals, none of whose scores have captivated me). Now I read every new post with fear and anxiety. I know someone will eventually burst the bubble, but so far it seems like I made the right decision!

BTW, since it's out so early and so close to Marie'

Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings  Feb 2 2024, 01:08:42 PM

jacobsnchz14 said: "...Wolitzer's book centers on six teenagers who meet at summer camp in the 1970s and form a lifelong bond over dreams of leading creative, inspiring lives. Decades later, all six are living in New York City, navigating their professional and personal lives as they grow together and apart."

So are they going to tell the story this time in chronological order or moving backwards in time from present to past?

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/21/24  Jan 24 2024, 06:49:35 PM

dramamama611 said: "We have a lot coming in, certainly, but how many are must sees? While I'm looking forward to be works, I'm not crazy excited by most of them. In fact, other than Lempicka, and Suffs (and Wine, to a slightly lesser extent) all other new shows are a bit ho hum on my interest level. I am looking forward as well to Tommy and Cabaret."

Totally agree. I'll be in NYC a week in early March and have tix for Tommy, The Effect, and Corruption. I

PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024  Jan 22 2024, 05:58:17 PM

Hairspray0901 said: "Kad said: "Hairspray0901 said: "I have no idea what this show is about (I’ll look into it) but, on the surface - I have been avoiding anything and everything that refers to itself as a “patriot” as I now associate that with the January 6th right wing looney conservatives. I wonder what the title of this show will or won’t do for sales?"

I mean, if you had taken one second to click on the link, you'

Can we get Jonathan Bailey to NY?  Jan 16 2024, 01:22:10 PM

They were both amazing. I think Bailey impressed me more simply because I had never heard of or seen him before.

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 14 2024, 01:24:22 PM

UWS10023 said: "When I saw it recently, Fanning was a little hard to hear in the first act and I was in the third row. She seemed to get louder in Act 2 but I thought perhaps she was not feeling well. It could have been a character choice perhaps feeling more comfortable with the siblings in Act 2 and being more assertive. Did anyone else notice?"

Actually, I had the same problem with Fanning's understudy AND Michael Esper particularly in that first scene, so it

Buena Vista Social Club at Atlantic Theater Company  Jan 7 2024, 06:17:43 PM

I was disappointed  by what weak singers and actors a few of the soloists were. The dancing and band were on fire, however, and that was enough for me to really enjoy the show.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 4 2024, 01:32:07 PM

Awesome! The most thrilling and daring musical revival I saw in 2023 (and that includes the Broadway "Merrily," which would be my runner-up). Very excited to get a chance to see it again.

The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage  Dec 30 2023, 06:45:37 PM

akhoya87 said: "...I saw this a week and a half ago. To provide some polite dissent: the book needs a considerable amount of work, although I'm not sure what more you can do plot-wise. There is too much navel-gazing and not enough (story) movement in the first 30-40 minutes of the show..."

And the show is only 90 minutes long, so that's a whole lot of time wasted. As for the score, I liked the Americana sound, but a sameness does set in within three or four n

Harmony word-of-mouth  Dec 24 2023, 12:03:55 PM

bear88 said: "....As for the speculation that the war in Israel is hurting the box office, let’s wait and see how Cabaret does before drawing sweeping conclusions....

And Prayer for the French Republic, a play that DID get rave reviews and had terrific word of mouth, although of course on Broadway it might be hampered by a playwright and cast that is not familiar to the general public. Personally, I think blaming Harmony'

Wonka really is a musical!  Dec 18 2023, 01:40:38 PM

MrsSallyAdams said: "The Wonkasoundtrack makes the film sound gloomy. Several sad and wistful ballads, some mean villain songs and one peppy song about chocolate. Critics say it's cheerful though so my impression must be mistaken."

Like most good children's stories it does have its darkish and slightly scary elements, but the supporting characters provide a lot of laughs, and ultimately the movie ends up being cheery and heartwarming. I wanted to hug

Wonka really is a musical!  Dec 17 2023, 06:51:46 PM

Despite the studio's best efforts to keep it a secret, it turns out that the new Wonka, which opened this weekend at No. 1, really is a musical with a delightful, very proper musical theater- sounding score. In addition to  the Bricusse/Newley "Pure Imagination" and "Oompa Loompa Song" from the '71 Gene Wilder film, there are a dozen or so terrific new songs by Neil Hannon (the front man for the seriously wonderful Irish pop group The Divine Comedy), which are

The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage  Dec 6 2023, 08:45:34 PM

yyys said: "I saw this in DC last weekend and found it to be just OK. I feel like they should've done more on the book because it was a LOT of singing...maybe they were singing every 5 minutes or so. In my opinion, the songs didn't need to be done in full....Acting is superb though....wish there was more of it."

Sounds like HERE WE ARE would be your kind of show.

Here Lies Love will be eligible in the Best Musical category and Gutenberg! The Musical! will be eligible in the Best Revival of a Musical category.  Dec 4 2023, 06:38:01 PM

BETTY22 said: "If they get a theatre in time for Sunset, it could beat Merrily.
My loyalty was with Merrily 100%, but then I saw Sunset last Thursday and I just don't know what I would do with those two If I were an actual voter. I am willing to overlook the flaws in the Merrily production, because the the sum total is so exhilarating, But Sunset is astonishing. Jamie Lloyd is a genius. It needs to be recorded because ALL the voices are superb, and who knew Sunset could

James Graham's DEAR ENGLAND coming to Broadway Spring 2024, dir. Rupert Goold? (casting notice)  Nov 21 2023, 12:38:03 PM

As Here We Are is  about a lot more than a bunch of people looking for a place to eat, I suspect Dear England is about a lot more than a bunch of people playing football, the England in the title referring not just to the national team but also to the nation itself, with the coach and managers standing in for the lawmakers and the players for the people they govern. I'll know for sure next Thursday, when I see this at the matinee and Sunset Boulevard in the evening.

Dracula vs. Waiting for Godot vs. Spain vs. Translations vs. Scene Partners?  Nov 12 2023, 12:40:02 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Does theatre need to always be enjoyable?

I'd be interested in seeing Translations. I can't speak for the merits of this production, but I'm definitely interested in the parallels between Ireland/Britain and Ukraine/Russia. The national theatre of Ukraine recently staged its own version, replacing the Irish language with Ukrainian, and the English language with Russian.
"

I saw Translations for the first time the summer befor

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’  Oct 31 2023, 06:35:25 PM

B212323 said: "I'm more interested in knowing who's replacing Gaten."

I'm more interested in knowing who's replacing the audience, which gave the most self-indulgent, over-the-top performance of the season. It, far more than anyone or anything on stage, ruined the preview performance I attended.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You