News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SisterGeorge

Member Name: SisterGeorge
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jul 25 2024, 06:29:22 PM

Musicaldudepeter said: "There is no alternate or matinee alternate. Audra was interviewed about her preparation so far and she said she is getting ready for the challenge of doing this role "8 times a week.""

Keeping my fingers crossed for her, but " I'm getting ready for my train" doesn't necessarily mean I'll catch it.

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 25 2024, 06:19:11 PM

MrsSallyAdams said: "Lady Chablis' establishing song has been posted on line. It sums up one of my issues with the libretto. She starts out fully formed. She doesn't go on any sort of emotional journey. When she sings her 11 o'clock number it's the same sort of self-affirmative"I'm fabulous" number as thisopening.

Video: J. Harrison Ghee Performs 'Let There Be Light' from MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL (broadwayworld.com)

Hadn't heard any of the score until now. Are you sure that song's from a NEW musical?
"

2024 Kennedy Center Honors
 Jul 18 2024, 12:53:29 PM

JSquared2 said: "Cue the "But what about Liza" contingent!

Seriously though-- what ABOUT Liza??

Seriously though -- what about classical music and/or opera? They used to be the backbone of the Honors. 

"

Would love to see a Sound of Music Revival
 Jul 16 2024, 01:38:18 PM

I liked the Laura Benanti production but have no memory of how she played the role. Obviously she was youthful, but doubt she was a manic pixie.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
 Jul 10 2024, 05:54:44 PM

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Can I just take a minute to applaud Broadway Flash for fully embracing her (at least acc. to profile) role as the undisputed villain/antagonistof these boards? Call her annoying if you want, but she's fully leaned into that role, and every time people give her attention, she's gonna lean into it that much more. Now I personally would be fine with that, because I honestly think the banter is hilarious. But if you're less fine with it, just know that

OH, MARY! Previews
 Jul 8 2024, 02:05:25 PM

JSquared2 said: "Impeach2017 said: "Will the critics be as kind this time around. I am sensing a possible disturbance in the force."

Why wouldn't they? It's the exact same production a few months later.

Sorry, but yourpostis kind of "Broadway Flash" level dumb.

I hope that it will once again be adored because I haven't laughed this hard since the first time I saw Book of Mormon in previews, bu

BroadwayWorld Announces Summer Madness Bracket - Best Musical: Losers Edition
 Jul 8 2024, 01:40:35 PM

JSquared2 said: "Looks like we’re about to see GYPSY, FOLLIES and SHE LOVESME be eliminated in favor of BEETLEJUICE, ALADDIN and MARY POPPINS.

Pathetic. Time for those of us over the age of 16 to start voting again with different email addresses!
"

Pathetic and appalling. I'm surprised and pleased that Ragtime and Great Comet are tied, although I suspect Ragtime will take over soon (not my choice).  Dreamgirls losing to Matilda? Heresy.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jul 4 2024, 03:17:58 PM

I just watched her London Palladium concert on PBS and my excitement for this Gypsy, which was sky high, declined with every song she sang. Yes, her voice is as luscious and gorgeous as ever, but I'm having trouble imagining  it fitting the Gypsy score and character. (Part of the trouble,  I think, may have been the concert's musical direction which was for the most part so lethargic that it sucked the life out of most of the numbers she sang. I think the R&H select

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
 Jun 25 2024, 06:14:17 PM

chrishuyen said: "When was the last time a play did this well without stars or being based on a big name IP? So thrilled for Stereophonic!

Should also note that the Juneteenth holiday probably helped bring more people in (especially since it fell on a Wednesday and a lot of shows had two shows that day, so more people were probably able to see a matinee).
"

I was in town last week looking to fill a last-minute matinee slot and while many of the shows I cons

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 25 2024, 01:29:23 PM

WldKingdomHM said: "Does anyone have pics and prices of the merch stand"

That's another weird thing about this theater. At least when we saw the show (third preview) the merch was only in the lobby, which is several floors away from the auditorium, so not at all conducive to intermission impulse shopping, which is too bad because we were on such a high at the end of Act I that we would have  bought anything they offered. Then when we left at the end of

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 24 2024, 06:34:07 PM

"Why do you people think Kelli, as wonderful as she can be in some roles, is chameleon enough of an actress to sell Sally? She is too, well, elegant isn't exactly the right word, but in that direction, for Sally. Her Babe in Pajama Game and Nellie in South Pacific didn't completely work because of of this. "

I so agree about Kelli's Babe and Nellie. The roles were sung beautifully, of course, but she was too reserved and, well, stiff. It wasn't u

Jun 23 2024, 01:47:47 PM

blaxx said: "chrishuyen said: "It is kind of annoying how much the "Cats is bad" discourse has grown in the past few yearsfor the general public who may have not even seen Cats(though of course it wasn't helped by the movie), but if anything I find it more impressive that those who hated Cats to begin with were able to enjoy the show so much. As for musical theater snobs, I feel like that's practically in the job description of being a critic ;)"<

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 22 2024, 01:14:57 PM

A major thank you to the Encores sound team and the extraordinary cast for allowing us to understand every single word in this nearly sung-through score. I saw 7 shows last weekend and the only other production that came close to achieving this increasingly rare feat was "Suffs."  A lot of the lyrics and dialogue in "Stereophonic" were impenetrable and, sadly, so were a number of the "Illinoise" songs that contained fuller orchestrations, alth

Jun 22 2024, 12:51:00 PM

Kad said: "Green seemed more interested in criticizing Cats the show than discussing much of this production. He barely even touches on the performances."

Very lazy review. It reads like he could have written a lot of it weeks--or years--ago.

Jun 20 2024, 01:23:36 PM

ADORED THIS SHOW (saw third preview) and also loved how much fun everyone (lots of black and brown young people) were having. I suspect many of them don't often get to see versions of themselves on a theater stage. One small quibble: [SPOILER ALERT Shouldn't Grizabella get transformed  into a glamour puss AFTER she rises up to wherever those steps take her instead of before?]

My seats in the second row directly opposite the end of the runaway (be

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
 Jun 20 2024, 12:42:14 PM

Mr. Wormwood said: "The Notebook is a great example of why the Tonys matter. If it had gotten a nomination for Best Musical and Water For Elephants hadn't, I'm guessing the situations would have been reversed. Of course there will always be shows that don't need the Tony recognition (BTTF, Gatsby) to have decent to good numbers, but for those "on the fence" shows, it can make a very big difference."

This year, though, there seem to be quite a fe

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 14 2024, 12:05:29 PM

Many have gotten truly angry at what they’ve done to our beloved CABARET — and I understand that — but honestly, I was too bored to care (full disclosure—I saw it well into the London run when the original and replacement casts had long gone.)

Borle, Sykes, and Rodriguez will lead Kennedy Center's BYE BYE BIRDIE
 Jun 14 2024, 11:34:10 AM

LetTheSunshineIn2 said: "Saw this tonight and Kim is 16 in this production. Not sure why some were stating that they had increased the character's age."

She lies to Birdie and tells him she’s 20-something before they run off to the Ice House, thus the confusion for someone not paying attention. And no, this shouldn’t transfer. Perfectly light summer entertainment, but not up to previous KC Center Stage quality. 

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
 Jun 13 2024, 01:01:20 PM

MezzA101 said: "Listen to the Best Tracks From 8 Tony-Nominated Show

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/13/theater/cast-albums-broadway-tony-awards.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zU0.e_03.zqmAgM237LWx
"

I saw and loved HLL (10 years ago) and Wine and Rose off-broadway, and I'm excited to catch up with Stereophonic and Illinoise on my NYC visit starting tomorrow. These "best tracks" though are still not moving me to spend money on W4E, Outsiders, HK, and Suffs. I do have one slot open, though, and realizing that judging them divorced of their scores is hard, can anyone recommend which one might be the most engaging on a dramatic/non-musical level. I'm leaning toward Suffs? (I'm also seeing EOTP, Cats, Ben Platt, and Christine Andreas). 

HELLO, I'M DOLLY bio-musical headed for the stage!
 Jun 7 2024, 04:40:47 PM

BeingAlive44Ever said: "SisterGeorge said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "I bet multiple actresses are gonna play her, like a young, middle, old situation, maybe Dolly herself could narrate (wishful thinking, no way she's gonna be doing eight shows a week at this point in her career)

I hope that Kristin Chenoweth gets to fulfill her dream of playing Dolly, she famously said she'd only do it if Dolly wrote it herself, and lookie here Dolly wrote it herse

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You