News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SisterGeorge

Member Name: SisterGeorge
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 6 2024, 01:24:13 PM

if you loved ILLINOISE in spite of not being a major dance fan, I would recommend trying Mark Morris' new THE LOOK OF LOVE if it comes to a theater near you. Perhaps not quite as deeply moving or profound, but equally sweet and beautiful and FUN! with terrific arrangements of Burt's best and awesomely performed live by a dynamic combo and vocalist. There's no through plot, but each number is an exquisitely told micro-story.

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  May 1 2024, 01:35:19 PM

I'm jumping on the Radcliffe bandwagon if there's any room left.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 01:36:04 PM

So relieved and happy that finally we don't have to be pissed off by a Daniel Radcliffe snub.

With all the women directors nominated, perhaps we will be spared the misogyny and sexism accusations over the Frecknall snub.

I think I remember a Gatsby review mentioning major tech snafus during a press preview. I wonder if it might have landed one or two more tech noms that not been the case?

I so wanted a few more for Illinoise (and I'm not even seeing

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 27 2024, 07:23:08 PM

After about the third mention of Ricky Ubeda in this thread it finally hit me that he was the understudy I saw give an absolutely knock-out performance as Bernardo in Ivo's West Side Story.  I felt at the time that the shutdown totally robbed him of potentially becoming a major player. Subsequently, the youtube videos of him dancing in his Miami backyard during lockdown were just so sweet and  dazzling but also heartbreaking as I kept

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 23 2024, 02:02:00 PM

In spite of the surprisingly not-bad reviews, for me to buy a pair of tickets this show still has to overcome (in order of importance):
*the skepticism I have for juke box musicals
*the fear I have for audiences at juke box musicals
*the nearly $500 I would have to spend for a pair of good orch seats for what sounds like popcorn entertainment, when I I've already spent a wad on  heavyweights like TOMMY, STEREOPHONIC, TITANIC, and ILLINOISE (not to mention Ben

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 04:51:10 PM

DAME said: "So.. can Broadway now be done with the immersive crap?"

Yes, please. I am so over all the research I have to do for each new show to figure out where best to sit or stand. 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall  Apr 20 2024, 01:03:35 PM

chrishuyen said: "Based on other Transport Group concerts, they do the show as a concert and they have different people singing on each song, rather than singing the same character each time (though some characters do carry through). It sounds like there will be some sort of choreo/staging though, so not sure how that would work out."

Also based on other Transport Group concerts, it might be wise to curb our enthusiasm a bit or at the very least manage expectatio

THE OUTSIDERS Broadway Previews  Mar 30 2024, 01:50:49 PM

CJRochester said: "I saw the show last night (Thursday). The largelyyoung student-aged audience was very well behaved. I satin front mezzanine, house left (A-7), which I thought was an ideal seat.

The song list is printed in the Playbill. That's not alwaysthe case with shows in previews, so I gather at least the that aspect is frozen.

As others have said, this felt a bit likea cross between West Side Story and Newsies, a heavy and intense story filled with c

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 24 2024, 01:15:42 PM

smidge said: "The way Listening to You is staged, I feel like some people are thinking it’s the curtain call. So they start standing and other people go along with it so they can see."

And when they realize it's NOT the end, they start sitting back down thereby missing the final stage picture which is quite beautiful and moving.

Have you ever seen a musical on Broadway that didn't get a standing ovation?  Mar 24 2024, 01:03:49 PM

Not only have SOs become ubiquitous in the US after every type performance (musicals, dramas, concerts, ballet, magicians, comedians), but increasingly there are a few audience members who inevitably stand up any time a singer in a musical holds a high note for more than tree seconds. At Tommy recently, not only did a woman in front-center Orchestra jump up mid-show for an SO, but also turned around to manically encourage the rest of the audience to join her. And like witless lemmings, m

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  Mar 19 2024, 06:22:10 PM

inception said: "Wick3 said: "The album is out May 31. There is a single called "Andrew" out now. It sounds very folky, almost like Simon & Garfunkel maybe? But it sounds like they double tracked Platt's vocals on the recording. Your mileage may vary.

It is indeed very Simon & Garfunkel and I like it a lot. Certainly a lot more than any of the snoozy numbers I've sampled from Elephants, Notebook, Outsiders, and Lempicka. I'

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 17 2024, 11:42:14 AM

East Village said: "I saw Friday’s preview and visually the show is in great shape. The music & sound is perfect. If anything I thought it should be louder but it buildsthroughout the first act as it should.

Every scene with Ali Louis Bourguizis a revelation however narratively the show is all over the place and incomprehensible at times. If you don’t know the material then Tommy’s transformation into an adult and the entire Sally Simpson story could

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews  Mar 17 2024, 11:22:49 AM

rachelfran said: "Kad said: "rachelfran said: "this show is doing the talking for any of these types of organizations in a much smarter way than they are.."

By charging an average ticket price of $164 and doing it in a palatable, comfortable way with TV stars, and only accessible to people with the means to get to NYC?
"

huh? I'm talking about this specific play and it's subject matter. Not tv stars and people with th

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 7 2024, 07:31:47 PM

pair-o-dice said: "...The story also gets a little crazy absurd and bizarre, and most of act two has always left me wondering what, exactly, was I supposed to take from any of that....."

Wait, I thought this thread was about THE WHO'S TOMMY, not HERE WE ARE. 

Seriously, though, I'm coming up from DC next week and seeing it (Tommy, that is) Friday night and can't wait. This and TEETH are the only musical productions opening this sprin

New Musical, DEAD OUTLAW, from Penna/Yazbek/Moses  Mar 3 2024, 06:27:10 PM

Owen22 said: "Wow. That was terrific! Wonderful, unique storytelling, but exactly what you expect from Yazbek and Cromer. You don't realize until show after show of our newest batches of supposed musical theatre writing, how you long for actual songs! Great, funny book that creeps up and eventually, surprisingly moves you. And A+ performances all around. Bravo, Dead Outlaw. Bravo!"

Glad to hear that! The proliferation of introspective folk-rock-emo score

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews  Feb 27 2024, 02:34:02 PM

MezzA101 said: "SisterGeorge said: "Jordan Catalano said: "....And while the acrobatics were great there was nothing "elevated" about them that made you OOH or AAH (well, besides some of the people who were literally SCREAMING throughout the entire show, something that Broadway needs to find a way to address because it's ridiculous).

It's pathetic that I nowtry to gauge what the audience behavior is going to be like at a given show

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews  Feb 25 2024, 07:30:30 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "....And while the acrobatics were great there was nothing "elevated" about them that made you OOH or AAH (well, besides some of the people who were literally SCREAMING throughout the entire show, something that Broadway needs to find a way to address because it's ridiculous).

It's pathetic that I now try to gauge what the audience behavior is going to be like at a given show when deciding whether to buy a ticket or not. It ha

Broadway’s Billy Porter performs at Cecilia Gentili funeral  Feb 25 2024, 07:13:14 PM

Impeach2017 said: "Referring to the deceased as a "whore" and making out in the cathedral is probably not a good way to get your point across. Whether it is at the White House or elsewhere, such disrespectful behaviors do more harm than good."

I'm glad ACT UP didn't pay you no mind. 

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway  Feb 23 2024, 01:14:26 PM

blasvader said: "Lovely that Spielberg and Field went to watch together.

Cole Escola is so chameleonic, just looked at their material online.

And Kushner.

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd'  Feb 23 2024, 01:00:43 PM

Jarethan said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I just don't understand why Sweeney has to be cast as classically ruggedly hot.

We have SO few Character actor leading musicals.

We have so few main characters that are fringe society off the beaten path intriguing DIFFERENT from the homogenized leading man.

I'm sure Aaron is good but that's not the point.

The interesting character musical theatre actor is dying.
"

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You