News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for grumpyoptimist

grumpyoptimist Profile Photo
Member Name: grumpyoptimist
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BANDSTAND will stream online this week!  Apr 12 2020, 11:46:52 PM

Watching now.  The fact that neither Osnes nor Altomare got Tony nominated in 2017 is something that befuddles me to this day.

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw  Apr 8 2020, 10:28:47 AM

"A Night With Janis Joplin" is my hands down winner because in almost 300 shows I've seen on Broadway and countless more regionally, it remains the only show I've ever walked at intermission on. Probably didn't help that a few months earlier I had seen a regional production of the infinitely superior "Love, Janis," which actually had a plot.  

Diana A True Musical Story  Feb 28 2020, 01:58:20 AM

msmp said: "Taking my mom to the first preview on Monday because we had a slot to fill on our trip and she's always been a huge Princess Di fan. I'm not super enthused but I'm going in with an open mind. Did I read/hear right that they have Judy Kaye play Barbara Cartland at some point in the show, not just QEII?"

Yes.  And Judy Kaye is (or was in La Jolla) the most compelling actor onstage.  Probably followed by Erin Davie as Camilla.  And

Diana A True Musical Story  Feb 26 2020, 11:20:15 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "As I said, I have a friend in the cast, so I really hope I'm wrong, but this feels like the Amelie of the 2019-2020 season. A new musical telling a VERY European story transfers from California with some notable Broadway names, flies under the radar, and (perhaps) shutters on Broadway before too long."

Don't blame this one on California; it had the most tepid audience and critic reaction of any "Broadway-aimed" mu

What’s Next For The Barrymore?  Feb 24 2020, 07:33:46 AM

grumpyoptimist said: "Several of the Almost Famous cast have been posting this weekend about seeing the other people involved in the show next week. Be willing to bet money it will be announced then, as others here have speculated."

Update: according to Storm Lever's insta, they're recording a "#castalbum" 

Storm Lever Insta: Leaving San Diego for a minute

What’s Next For The Barrymore?  Feb 23 2020, 09:42:33 PM

Several of the Almost Famous cast have been posting this weekend about seeing the other people involved in the show next week.  Be willing to bet money it will be announced then, as others here have speculated.

What made Natasha Richardson so brilliant as Sally?  Feb 22 2020, 03:24:59 PM

I saw the '98 and '14 Broadway revivals as well as any number of other productions, but my favorite Sally is Barrett Weed from the DC Signature Theater production (with Wes Taylor as the emcee).  Her pained, multi-faceted (bordering on manic) portrayal was simply incredible...she won a regional Helen Hayes award for that role

Are shows truly frozen after opening?  Feb 22 2020, 03:12:42 PM

For a show an acquaintance was in recently, someone in our group asked if they were frozen.  He kind of wrinkled his nose and said "yes, but like a slushee."  I think that might describe most shows...

Does Karen Olivo do matinees in MOULIN? Thanks!  Feb 22 2020, 03:07:16 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "I thought Adrienne’s schedule for the West End was known/posted?"

It was on the splash page of the website (including her vacation dates), but if I remember from when I purchased tix there wasn't anything that popped up when you pulled up a specific date.  But she had tweeted it so many times it wasn't hard to find there.

Diana A True Musical Story  Feb 22 2020, 03:01:50 PM

It was a bit of a mess in La Jolla and nowhere close to ready for transfer.  They're reportedly rewritten the script (several of my female friends in particular left angry) and added seven songs but I'm not sure how much can be accomplished without some casting changes. I took friends twice and no one thought de Waal was at all likable or charismatic as Diana...some including me found Erin Davie as Camilla more appealing.  Personally, I thought Heart of Rock and Roll and&nbs

Jason Danieley Donates Marin Mazzie's Costumes to Manhattan School of Music  Sep 8 2019, 04:04:51 PM

He corrected the record on twitter that these were her clothes (both everyday wear and performance gowns), not costumes, and that MSM will be using them for costumes.  I think that makes the story and donation even more special

Jason Danieley's own words

How much chili at Oklahoma?  Jun 11 2019, 11:05:03 PM

I was there Sat night (6/8) and two people in line before me who asked if it was vegetarian were told it was vegan.  Not bad...

JBroadway said: "djoko84 said: "Danielle49 said: "Silly question about the chili: I’m seeing the show again tomorrow. I didn’t grab chili last time because I wasn’t sure if there was meat in it or if it’s vegetarian — anyone know?"

It's vegetarian."

Nicolette Robinson begins in WAITRESS tonight! (9/4/18)  Oct 3 2018, 03:36:02 AM

Baldwin 2 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I just got out of the show. My God. Nicolette is superb. She’s by far my favorite actress to ever play the role. I don’t think in all the times I’ve seen it, that I’ve ever cried at this show but she just made the waterworks turn on tonight. I really do urge everyone to make it a priority to see the show while she’s in it.

She’d better have a BIG career in musical theater after this.
&

Extra stuff  Oct 3 2018, 03:27:12 AM

Wick3 said: "BTW, did any of you watch the live auction? I was there from 630p-730p and noticed the same people tend to bid again and again (mostly from the front center area). I don't know how people get those paddles but the live auction always seem so exciting and entertaining to me.

Someday when I have at least $5000 to donate, I want to be in those chairs and bid (and hopefully win!)
"

If you end up buying a certain amount (or donate regularly to B

BCEFA Flea Market Collectors Unite!  Sep 19 2018, 03:01:33 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "There are PLENTY of people with “Star Power” who live in the city and I find it very hard to believe that a handful of them can’t give an hour of their time one day a year to raise some money for charity. I just don’t think BC/EFA even tries anymore to get them, like they used to."

I wonder if them changing dates a couple months out had something to do with it.  Whether some people said yes to the 23rd and made plan

BCEFA Flea Market Collectors Unite!  Sep 19 2018, 02:57:53 AM

tvgus2 said: "Has anybody participated in the silent auctions at the Broadway Flea market. I know the online bids end the Friday before the flea market. I live in CA so I can't attend the flea market and waswondering how they list the highest bid at the flea market. Is it even worth it to place a bid for non-attending people? Any help would be great. Thanks."

"Silent auction" is a misnomer.  They have the items online, but then they are announ

BCEFA Flea Market Collectors Unite!  Sep 17 2018, 02:06:38 AM

They've posted the first lots of silent and live auction items for Flea

Silent auction

Live Auction

Heart of Rock and Roll at the Old Globe  Sep 16 2018, 02:12:56 AM

Saw it last Sat night when still in previews. Didn't go in with a lot of expectations, I was very pleasantly surprised.  Enjoyed it a lot, Matt Doyle and Katie Rose Clarke are excellent as the leads, and I thought Paige Faure and John Dossett were standouts in limited roles.

Has the usual issue of jukebox musicals of squeezing existing songs into the storyline, but it mostly works in this show.  I'm not a huge Huey Lewis fan, and I probably only recognized about 75% of the songs.  I will definitely see this at least once more during the run, and definitely think it has a future beyond San Diego

Largely in agreement with today's San Diego Union-Tribune review

Huey Lewis musical 'Heart' has splash and soul in Old Globe world premiere, if a boxed-in plot

Freaky Friday Broadway. What if?  Sep 6 2018, 02:35:55 AM

I saw it in La Jolla as well...twice (some friends wanted to see it).  I loved Blickenstaff, the rest of the show for me was ok/fun, not OMG I'm gonna see this on Broadway soon level of good.  I would have liked to have seen Jason Gotay in the cool boy role, though.  I respectfully disagree it would have had much long term success on Broadway (I don't even think it sold out the La Jolla run, which Summer, Margaritaville and Hunchback before it all did)

Where Are They Now - Broadway Edition  Aug 13 2018, 01:02:07 AM

Jbara did a jukebox musical with Alice Ripley at the San Diego Rep a few years ago...the worst jukebox musical I've ever experienced.  It featured the catalog of Harry Nilsson and had no spoken dialogue.  Oy...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You