News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for theatreguy

theatreguy Profile Photo
Member Name: theatreguy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions  May 6 2024, 05:06:59 PM

The 5-person jury only selects the 3 finalists and submits them to the Pulitzer Board. The Board then has a discussion on the finalists which is followed by a vote to decide the winner. The Board can also vote to select an entry that wasn't made a finalist by the jury, or it can vote to not give an award at all. The last time that happened was 2006.

Palace Theatre  May 6 2024, 03:48:33 PM

Play Esq. said: "Am I wrong in thinking the plan was to reduce the number of seats?"

Yes. 

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  May 6 2024, 09:09:44 AM

binau said: "I know that this show is positioned as a play, but is it the kind of thing that could have gone in as a musical in another year/with a different set of producers or is it very much a play?"

Very much a play. The majority of the songs are only heard in small fragments - i.e., just the intro or just the background vocals.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  May 3 2024, 04:59:35 PM

Some Tony trivia that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Kelli O'Hara has now been nominated for 8 shows in a row. The last show she WASN'T nominated for was Dracula (though that was the same season she was nominated for The Light in the Piazza). The only other performer to pull this off is Chita Rivera who was nominated for all 8 Broadway shows she did from Chicago through Nine. The Mystery of Edwin Drood broke her streak.

Other performers who come close are Brian B

The Who's Tommy - Tony winner: 1993 Best Original Score  May 3 2024, 12:46:58 PM

Adding to Ermengarde's list, T.S. Eliot also won Best Book for Cats which is wild. That award should have gone to Trevor Nunn and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

And, for State Fair, the Tonys also decided that only the songs Driving at Night, You Never Had It So Good, When I Go Out Walking With My Baby and Boys and Girls Like You and Me were eligible for consideration. The voters had to just ignore the majority of the score (not that it had a chance of winning over Rent). The following

The Who's Tommy - Tony winner: 1993 Best Original Score  May 3 2024, 12:20:41 PM

The rules were different then. 

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 06:24:41 PM

Only the nominating committee needed to see Illinoise at one of it's 8 performances last week. Regular voters have until the voting cut-off which is a few days before the awards.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 03:52:16 PM

MadsonMelo said: "Question: what is the biggest spam between nominations that an actor has ever got?

Because between ''Me and My Girl'' and ''The Notebook'', it has passed 37 years and that's a LOT.
"

Barbara Cook. 52 years between her nominations for The Music Man (1958) and Sondheim on Sondheim (2010).

Right behind her is Jane Fonda with 49 years between her nominations for There Was a Little Girl (1960) and 33 V

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 29 2024, 11:25:59 AM

jkcohen626 said: "They also imply that Here Lies Love is eligible for Best Book (GoldDerby also has it available to select in making your own predictions). Did we ever get a ruling on whether or not it's eligible and who would even receive that nom?"

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Other shows with little-to-no dialogue like Hamilton, Les Miserables, Cats and Evita all were nominated for (and in those cases, won) Best Book. And the last 3 didn't even

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 27 2024, 01:15:53 PM

BJR said: "Also worth noting London didn't get that Mendes/Marshall revival. (They got an earlier Mendes solo version in 1993.) So, it has been 30 years since they've seen Cabaret."

Well, no. There was a West End production directed by Rufus Norris that played for almost 2 years from 2006 to 2008, and then returned for a few months in 2012 and 2013.

PATRIOTS Previews  Apr 18 2024, 11:50:33 AM

Yes, the opening performance is a Monday matinee. Allows the press to also be present at the opening of The Heart of Rock and Roll that evening.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  Apr 11 2024, 03:13:32 PM

Don’t know about Ericka but Casey posted on his Instagram story on the day of the cast announcement that the press release was incorrect snd he would NOT be in the show due to a scheduling conflict.

Cole Escola is Mary Todd Lincoln in OH, MARY! Off-Broadway  Feb 27 2024, 02:56:44 PM

New York Times review is out (gift link)

"There’s little else in New York theater right now quite as surprising as “Oh, Mary!” Written by and starring Escola, it’s a bit taken to an 80-minute extreme that’s silly, nasty, tasteless and, in the end, good theater — the kind of show that will leave you gagging, both in the sense that you’ll be losing your mind with joy, and that you might just be grossed out."

Neil Patrick Harris to direct Tick...Tick...BOOM! at the Kennedy Center  Dec 19 2023, 04:52:56 PM

Agreed, though Chanler-Berat is actually just 5 and a half months younger than Uranowitz.

Hilty, Simard, and More Will Lead a Private Reading Of DEATH BECOMES H  Sep 5 2023, 01:14:48 PM

Sunset can't extend in London. It closes January 6 and Plaza Suite begins previews January 16.

It could be that her team wants to keep the focus on Sunset right now and let those performances get started before announcing her involvement in this.

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Jul 31 2023, 09:21:20 PM

Sara Ramirez should play King Arthur.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/2/23  Jul 5 2023, 05:44:35 PM

Here Lies Love will have to return the Broadway to its original condition upon closing, whenever that ends up being. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/25/23  Jun 27 2023, 04:08:30 PM

BossBroadway said: "The average ticket price includes the comped, zero-cost tickets for opening night. The average ticket price would be much higher if opening night was a normal ticketed performance. Due to this, it should be noted that there were only 7 paid performances. with pretty much all of the total sales coming from those 7 performances. If they hit 700k with only 7 paid performances as opposed to 8, that's a good sign for this show. Their advance sale for this week is a

The Who's Tommy @ The Goodman  Jun 21 2023, 07:34:34 PM

There are 9 musicians playing live. 3 keyboards (including the conductor), 2 guitars, french horn, bass, percussion and drums.

2023-2024 Broadway Season  Jun 9 2023, 04:57:26 PM

It's gone now but Melissa Etheridge: My Window was briefly listed on Telecharge for Circle in the Square. Should be an announcement coming soon.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You