News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SuttonPeron

Member Name: SuttonPeron
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
 Feb 14 2024, 04:38:28 AM

Alan Williams, the London MD, is transferring. Nicole or Jamie Lloyd might have wanted him to, given there´s very specific tempi/MD choices for this production. His conducting was good, but I do wish it had been KB.

Equity / Non-Equity tour prices
 Feb 6 2024, 05:15:05 AM

The current MFL tour has 10 people in the pit. Larry Blank did the reduced orchestration, based on Josh Clayton´s already reduced 18-piece charts.

Stars In The House "Broadway Sitzprobe Experience!"
 Jan 30 2024, 03:30:38 AM

The London Musical Theatre Orchestra organize open Sitzprobes regularly in the UK. Once a month, to be precise, although the titles are secret. Glad it´s somewhat being done at the other side.

Disney will launch North American tour of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in 2025, Broadway stop next?
 Jan 25 2024, 06:23:08 PM

Sadly, Disney has no interest in producing a show with half the grandeur, splendour, detail and magic of the original. Both the Palace and the Lunt runs had 24 people in the pit, a cast of 35 (+ swings), and a huge detailed, complex set with some stunning moments. This, has 10 people in the pit, 27 in the cast (+ swings), and a set that´s basically LED projections and a couple of physical pieces.

I do think they are devaluing their own property. If they cared about it, they´

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
 Oct 17 2023, 01:07:53 PM

I adored this play when I saw it in London. Full of heart and joy, but also very emotional. And there´s no doubt Rob Madge is a stunning actor and storyteller. It´s certainly a story that deserves to be known.

But 250 bucks for this? More than 100 for an orchestra seat? What on earth! Why would people pay this much? I paid 15 pounds to see this in its last West End run.
Take the most stereotypical Broadway show: Wicked. Many good seats available for 138-148 bucks. 23 p

First Complete Recording of OKLAHOMA! to be released this September
 Sep 16 2023, 07:19:08 PM

Am I the only one that didn´t love this? I found it tried too hard to sound like an old-fashioned studio recording

The Lion King tour 2023
 Jul 30 2023, 05:46:34 PM

If you can invest some more cash and see it on Broadway, don´t go see the tour. Not only are so many elements scaled down, but the orchestra is less than half the size (with KeyComp filling the missing players) and, believe it or not, it so makes a difference with a score this good. That being said, the tour is still a very enjoyable show. You can never go wrong with The Lion King.

Bad Overtures?
 Oct 26 2022, 02:15:19 PM

Jarethan said: "I thought the Tootsie overture was as bad as it gets. The real problem was that the score sucked.

Interestingly, re Funny Girl, I remember the original production having a great overture. I saw Funny Girl last night and was very disappointed with the overture. Did I remember the original incorrectly? Was this just different (and inferior to the original)? Was the real issue that the orchestra was so thin? I don't know, but I was disappointed.
"

Most likely the awfully thin orchestra. It´s a wonderful overture, beautifully arranged, but you do need a large string and brass sections and at least two percussionists (the keyboard xylo sucks!) for it to shine. This version is my personal favorite:

Funny Girl Broadway Overture (Live in Concert) - YouTube

Why Have We Only Had One Broadway Revival of THE SOUND OF MUSIC?
 Oct 23 2022, 02:41:52 PM

I think Shereen Ahmed would make a terrific Maria. Or Julie Benko. Laura Benanti should play Mother Abbess.

What should I see in London in October
 Sep 16 2022, 11:46:47 AM

Cabaret is an absolute must. It´s a production like no other. Simply stunning. And you´d get Amy Lennox who is the perfect Sally Bowles. I´d also reccomend Mamma Mia!, because there´s truly no Donna like Mazz Murray, who sings and acts the part wonderfully and the band sounds amazing. And Mary Poppins. Zizi Strallen´s take on the title role is so fresh, and the show itself is the perfect boost of joy and emotion. Of course, you can never go wrong with Wicked, Les

What is the lowlight of your theatre going experiences?
 Sep 15 2022, 04:05:58 PM

An amateur production of Mamma Mia! where all of the cast was off-pitch, were directed to overact and laughed their way through the songs. And of course, scenes from the movie illegally added in. Seeing such a brilliant score treated that way, and musical theatre being seen as something to laugh at, made me leave at intermission.

What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?
 Sep 14 2022, 09:17:14 AM

My top five:

- My first ever show, a production of The Sound of Music. My grandparents took me when I was a child, and I remember it as one of the happiest days of my life.

- Phantom on Broadway. Being European, I often thought I would never see a Broadway show. Not only did I make it to NYC, but could finally see one of my favorite musicals, with such a wonderful cast and orchestra.

- A semi-staged My Fair Lady at the Barcelona Opera House. I´ll never forget the te

Jul 26 2022, 07:17:48 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "David10086 said: "I agree 100%. Everyone seemed to be in a great mood out on the streets, exiting the theater and humming along to the music playing them out. Those days are looooooooooooooooooong gone."

Seriously, most musicals still have exit music, don't they? What am I missing?
"

Most shows I´ve seen recently had either a very short playout, or ended after the bows. The only 2010s and 2020s show I´

Jul 26 2022, 07:14:39 PM

James885 said: "I think it may have less to do with attention spans and more about how nowadays creatives prefer to just get right into the show. I remember an interview with Bartlett Sher a while back where he talked about The Light In The Piazza and the decision to not utilize the full overture featured on the cast recording in the show. He said something to the effect of how it felt off to have the audience staring at an empty stage for five minutes."

The current

Les Miz Question / Scaled Back Production?
 Jul 7 2022, 05:23:16 PM

As much as I prefer the older staging, the current London cast is wonderful and the sound is top-notch. It may be unneccesarily more complex and less elegant, but I think it works. And the orchestra is wonderful. The two French Horn players alone are worth a visit, in my opinion.

Bartlett Sher's production of MY FAIR LADY will play London Coliseum beginning May 7, 2022
 Jun 18 2022, 04:08:50 PM

Okereke was wonderful. So much genuineness in all of her performance. Her chemistry with Hadden-Paton was spot-on.

However, my big issue with this production is in the sound. The only musicians I could listen clearly at the Coliseum were the brass and percussion sections of the orchestra. I could almost never hear the strings. I noticed the same issue, though not as bad, in the 2018 cast recording, which makes me think this was intentional. Did the same issue happen at the Beaumont

London -June/July 2021
 Feb 2 2022, 08:00:18 AM

If you´re into Golden Age shows, the Bart Sher production of My Fair Lady will be playing from May at the London Coliseum. They´ll have a huge orchestra playing the original arrangements.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You