News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for steve.sometime

Member Name: steve.sometime
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 17 2024, 02:56:25 PM

Adam was on the Andy Cohen show 2 weeks ago, and said "I got some stuff in the fall, that will take me away from touring." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrMY48BA4o&t=19s

Is Mr. Cinders (1928) in the public domain?
 Jul 16 2024, 02:22:16 PM

Mr. Cinders, the gender-reversed Cinderella musical written by Vivian Ellis and Richard Myers, first performed in 1928 in the UK, 1929 in London, has one of my favorite scores. By the British copyright law, which is death of author + 70 years, it won't enter the public domain until 2066. But under the American copyright law, publication date + 95 years, it seems it should have entered the public domain this year. I know close to nothing about copyright laws. Is the show in public dom

JRB Teases "Something Huge Coming Tomorrow"
 Jul 16 2024, 01:37:47 PM

Farewell, My Concubine?

Jonathan Groff Sets 2025 Broadway Return with JUST IN TIME?
 Jul 12 2024, 02:46:12 PM

He did a concert of Bobby Darin songs at 92Y a few years back. I had wondered if that was meant for something more. 

Carmel Dean composing THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR musical
 Jul 9 2024, 12:04:09 PM

There has been 2 musical adaptations at least. One in 2005 at NoHo Arts Center:

And one in 2019 at Glendale Centre Theatre:

I loved Carmel Dean's score of Renascense and look forward to this.

What Tony Upset Are You Hoping For?
 Jun 12 2024, 07:12:04 PM

Kelli O'Hara 

Here Lies Love for Scenic Design

Suffs or Illinoise for Best Musical

The Drama Desk Awards 2024
 Jun 10 2024, 09:26:51 PM

Outstanding Play
Stereophonic, by David Adjmi

Outstanding Musical
Dead Outlaw

Outstanding Revival of a Play
Appropriate

Outstanding Revival of a Musical
I Can Get It for You Wholesale

The Drama Desk Awards 2024
 Jun 10 2024, 09:07:10 PM

Outstanding Lead Performance in a Play
Jessica Lange, Mother Play
Sarah Paulson, Appropriate

Outstanding Lead Performance in a Musical
Brian d’Arcy James, Days of Wine and Roses
Maleah Joi Moon, Hell’s Kitchen
Kelli O’Hara, Days of Wine and Roses

Outstanding Featured Performance in a Play
Celia Keenan-Bolger, Mother Play
Kara Young, Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate

FLOYD COLLINS to be given Broadway revival by Lincoln Center
 Jun 10 2024, 10:39:57 AM

I'm screaming!!!!! What a season for musical revivals: Gypsy vs Sunset vs Floyd Collins!

How did the dueling Wild Party's affect box office
 Jun 9 2024, 02:41:12 PM

Thanks all for the insight! It was fascinating to read. My intention was to explore if it's a good idea for ART Gatsby to transfer while PMP's Gatsby is still on Broadway. Basically the possibility of 2 Gatsby's on Broadway at the same time. Unfortunately, as people have explained, the dueling Wild Party's don't provide much that's applicable here. My takeaways so far are:

1. Theatre fans' interest: There's a decent amount of interest to see both TWP, some even on the same day to make it an event. If Gatsby happens, it could be beneficial for one of them to have uncommon matinees, which is already the case: PMP Gatsby has a Thu matinee. If both play at the same time, people could see both at least on Wed, Thu, and Sat.

2. Selling point: TWP was much more obscure. The dueling effect may have helped a bit, but ultimately people were only interested because of stars. Gatsby has proven to be different, as PMP Gatsby has been doing fine without mainstream stars. People do care about Gatsby, the material. The dueling effect might be more pronounced. If marketing and social media make it a thing like Barbenheimer, do you see people flocking to New York just to be able to see both? 

3. Box office numbers: As people have explained, there's no way to tell if one TWP boosted or cannibalized the other at the box office, because the Lippa TWP was already sold out to subscribers. Something interesting is that Lippa TWP announced an extension by a week on Mar 9 (Playbill article), the day before LaChiusa TWP started previews on Mar 10. This could be interpreted as there being enough hype to see both, but once both started, it turned out that the demand wasn't enough for a second extension (unless the theatre was booked by another show already).

For Gatsby, the timing is very different. I imagine ART Gatsby would want to transfer in the spring to get that Tony boost. By then, PMP Gatsby will have run for over a year if it’s still around. The word of mouth will be established. People who are more selective or with limited budgets may choose the fresh newcomer, until word of mouth picks a winner. People who see more shows may have already seen the PMP and are interested in the ART version. There are so many ways this could go. But in the first month, ART Gatsby should be fine. The concerns might be:
1) The public doesn't know this is a different Gatsby, so the marketing has to make that LOUD AND CLEAR.
2) Gatsby fatigue: Let's hope there isn't another major Gatsby adaptation in any media before ART gets to New York. Gatz at the Public is small enough to be neglected.
3) Being the darker/artsy one (the Boston logo isn't exactly inviting), it might need awards to help ticket buyers make the decision.

4. Producers' perspective: The same Playbill article also says up front that Lippa TWP was not moving to Broadway, before LaChiusa even started. They definitely had planned to transfer (there are articles and interviews as proof), but decided to avoid it. It could be the mixed reviews that killed their confidence. Whatever the reason, that could affect ART Gatsby to avoid clashing with PMP Gatsby too.

Edit: Fix the playbill link.

How did the dueling Wild Party's affect box office
 Jun 8 2024, 05:03:00 PM

As a theatre fan, my immediate reaction to 2 Wild Party's, or if it happens, 2 Gatsby's playing in New York at the same time, would be: I need to see both! Kind of like the Barbenheimer situation, regardless of which one is better. If possible, I would even see both on the same day. But I can't help feeling that might not be how it played out. Can someone shed some light on the audience reaction to the 2 Wild Party's playing at the same time? Specifically, did i

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 6 2024, 12:33:14 PM

The playbill article says more performances could be added. I'd really love to see Days of Wine and Roses and Stereophonic perform.

2024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
 May 31 2024, 10:00:33 AM

It has been "leaked" weeks ago through casting notice. If it hasn't changed since then, there will be Soft Power, Primary Trust, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Job, In the Heights, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and a new musical TBA. Very exciting season imo!

2025 Pulitzer Prize prediction, with statistics
 May 27 2024, 12:47:45 PM

It's been a hot second since we had the Pulitzer winner of this year, so it's totally not too early to predict the next one! Why not? It's fun, for me.

Here are the winners from the past 15 years. Two from out of town, three opened in the second half of the year. 2/3 of the winners had opened by the end of June. Which means next year's winner has probably already happened or is happening right now.

• 2024: Primary Trust (5/4-7/2/23)
  • 2023: English (2/5-3
Best song in each new musical?
 May 24 2024, 07:22:17 PM

I haven't seen Outsiders, Water for Elephant and Great Gatsby yet

• Back to the Future - I saw it in London a year ago and don't remember any songs
  • Days of Wine and Roses - There Go I
  • Harmony - Every Single Day
  • Here Lies Love - Eleven Days
  • How to Dance in Ohio - Building Momentum
  • Lempicka - I didn't like any of them
  • The Notebook - Sadness and Joy
  • Suffs - Keep Marching

NYTW 24/25 season announced
 May 24 2024, 12:14:42 PM

Flap My Wings (We Live in Cairo) is a great song! I'm curious to see how the rest of the show holds up.

Dave Malloy's THREE HOUSES at Signature
 May 21 2024, 12:10:33 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/20/theater/three-houses-review-dave-malloy.html

Help! Has anyone postdated at SUFFS??? Thanks Megabus..
 May 15 2024, 10:39:13 PM

I take Megabus very frequently. My experience is that the traffic gets especially bad when your scheduled arrival time is around 5pm-7pm. I always try to book ones that arrive no later than 3:30pm if I'm catching an evening show. Those have been fairly reliable.

Darren Criss and Helen J Shen Will Lead MAYBE HAPPY ENDING on Broadway
 May 14 2024, 01:53:56 PM

This feels very much like First Date.

City Centers 24-25: Ragtime, Urinetown, LaChiusa's Wild Party, Love Life
 May 14 2024, 12:16:17 PM

I'm freaking out!!! I'll finally get to see LaChiusa Wild Party live!!!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You