News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheatreSlave

TheatreSlave Profile Photo
Member Name: TheatreSlave
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Musicals with Small Casts?
 Mar 24 2006, 02:01:13 AM
How "small" of a cast are you looking for? Gender division? Subject matter restrictions? Vocal types?

OK, those questions out of the way, here are my first thoughts-

"Liars & Legends"- It's a musical-review-ish thing based on the story songs of Harry Chapin. About 4-6 cast members. I don't know much about it other than the songs are great (duh, considering the source), and I Like the script. I would LOVE to do this show. I think that it has a great chance to appeal to a ba

re: The Names-You-Wish-You-Had thread
 Mar 17 2006, 03:24:11 AM
I would love to have the name I was *supposed* to have- "Stefania". Unfortunately my father couldn't figure out how to spell it, so he simplified it to Stephany. (although that still wouldn't have changed the fact that my initals are S&M...makes it worse since my middle name's Ann).
Other than that, my mother thought about naming me Morganna (after the Morgan of Arthurian legend), which would have been fabu. (Of course, she also thought about Tyrolia DuPont, after brands of wine and paint.

re: so who is currently working on/in a production?
 Jan 1 2006, 03:43:03 AM
I have actually been enjoying the rare community theatre employee phenomenon known as a "vacation". (We close for 2 weeks for *insert winter holidays of your choice* ). Yay! The first vacation I have had since this time last year!
But we start up with auditions the first two days back to work! "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" auditions on Jan 2nd & 3rd (performing in Feb.), followed by "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" (performing in March), "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" (per

re: Is anyone going to see the Bombay Dreams National Tour???
 Dec 7 2005, 03:49:45 AM
Thanks. I hope I can, too (should theatre scheduling / time / money / transportation / etc. allow it, I will!).
re: Small Cast Shows
 Dec 7 2005, 03:44:47 AM
Christopher Durang's 'denity Crisis ( if I recall correctly, 3 women, 3 men but you need some pretty strong actors)

"Clue, The Musical"- Not a great script, but fabulous songs and only needs about 7 people and no choregraphy is necessary if you aren't able (but you need an actor with an incredible memory and great talent to play Mr. Boddy, and a piano player who is willing to actually have lines)

Blithe Spirit- 2 men, 5 women, incredibly fun show to do (and if using grey for th

re: Is anyone going to see the Bombay Dreams National Tour???
 Dec 7 2005, 03:24:40 AM
I know very little about this show, but I love the songs I have heard so far (thanks to my beloved digital cable radio- even if their Showtunes rotation can be a bit too tight sometimes).
When does it start? And is it coming anywhere near Virginia/Tennessee/North Carolina? Where can I find the info?

re: 'What I did for Love'
 Dec 7 2005, 03:20:30 AM
OK, now that I have read the other posts (sorry, I was busy before and just posted from the original question)

DG- Thank you for your compliment. *bows* Not many see the comparisons.

OddExotic- Wow, now that's what I call a specific interpretation. Nicely worded, although I can't really agree with it.
Maybe I'm a cynic, but I never like the idea of this song being directed to the love of a person. I saw the film first, and didn't really like the song until I saw the sho

re: 'What I did for Love'
 Dec 7 2005, 02:30:13 AM
The singer/character's love for her art (in this case, dance). She had a gift, she used it to do what she loved, but a true artistic gift is not owned, it is only "borrowed". We use our gifts for a while, and (hopefully) pass them on to someone else to share. But, no matter what happens to us while we are in that life, no matter what we have to go through, we would do it again because of an overwhelming love. We will always dive right back in, because we cannot see *not* doing so. I see para
re: Children's theatre- I love it!
 Dec 7 2005, 02:15:40 AM
fiatlux- Good line! *LOL* We have kids throw up on occasion. That's always fun (especially in our small theatre when you can hear it).

I remember doing a production of Puss In Boots where the kids pulled Teddy (who was playing the Ogre) off the stage and held him down because he had threatened me (playing Puss). The problem was, that Teddy was about 3 weeks from back surgery and couldn't get up by himself! Talk about finding depths of ad-lib ability you never knew you had!

re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
 Dec 5 2005, 01:33:50 AM
Yup, more opinions from TheatreSlave (I do have about three-quarters of a sh*tload of them).

~I am somewhat intrigued by the idea of the Lestat musical. It has the potential to be either really good or really bad, but I think it will definitely be interesting.

~I feel the same about "The Color Purple" musical. (I live in southwest VA and don't have the money to go and see shows on Broadway, so I will have to wait for the OBC and use my imagination.)

~*bracing herself

Dec 5 2005, 12:42:18 AM
I agree, jacob. Even if you are a company member with no lines, the kids are so happy to meet you. And we usually don't sign autographs in character, and the kids love to see the real people behind the characters (although some of the really little ones are a bit intimidated). I live in a small town, so I run in to people who have seen me in shows in every day life. It is so strange to see their reactions. Some, both kids and adults, are afraid to come up and talk to me. Sometimes I have ra
re: Broadway Song that best fits your life
 Dec 5 2005, 12:06:19 AM
"Send in the Clowns"
"No On Knows Who I Am"- Jekyll & Jyde
"Comedy Tonight"- Forum
"I Am Who I AM"- La Cage
"Funny"- City Of Angels
(cynical, me? OH, surely not!)

And, there is a line from a play and a line from a short story that *really* fit my life (yeah, I know it asked for a song, but these really fit best.) The short story line is the one I use as my signature file - "We are all misfits, I guess, inthe theatre..."
The play line in from a production

Dec 4 2005, 11:53:04 PM
jasonf- Oh crap, I didn't even think of that! I tried to change it, I hope it worked. that is really embarassing...

StageWhore (great nickame, btw), CostumeMistress, hannashule- Thank you for your support. I was beginning to worry that I was alone it this. I think that it is important...and fun.

I've been going to shows my whole like (I "saw" my first at age 2, but obviously I don't recall it). The first one I really remember was a production of "The Red Shoes" (a play, not a ballet) that I saw while in elementary school at the theatre I now work for (http://www.theatrebristol.org yes, there's a reason why I call myself "TheatreSlave"). I wore a pair of red shoes to the show and all the way back to school and for the whole rest of the day, I had so much fun acting out the part of the girl with the red shoes. Someone else would pretend to be the one who enchanted the shoes, forcing me to dance. People would laugh and applaud, and I felt so good to be noticed in a good way (I was a REALLY shy kid). Then, shortly after, I read Medea for the first time and felt a burning desire to play that role. I never figured out what any of this meant until I did my first show as a freshman in high school. The first time I heard an entire audience laugh BECAUSE OF SOMETHING I HAD SAID addicted me to theatre forever. I'm still chasing the dream of playing Medea, but doing theatre has given me so much over through my life- it has been my refuge, my bane, my sanity, my stress, my one true love, the reason for my self-haterd, the reason for my self-confidence. In short, theatre has been my life, with all the ups and downs, joys and sorrows, that life offers you; and the one and only constant in my life for 17 years.
I may not be a Broadway star, I may have "only" done community theatre and high school/college theatre, but theatre has shaped my life to a point that I don't know what I would be doing right now without it. ANd I owe it all to children's theatre. See why I think it is important?

Children's theatre- I love to do it! (so there, nyah! ;-P )
 Dec 3 2005, 05:19:07 AM
After reading posts here for the last month(ish), and after myriad converstaions with other theatre folk, I have noticed that there are quite a few who seem to think that doing children's theatre something that an actor is "forced" in to; that it is somehow inferior to what they call "real" theatre. I don't agree. I live doing shows for kids.

You can learn a lot about letting go, losing your inhibitions, and how to deal with a sometimes difficult audience. Children can be both yo

re: Weirdest role you have ever played
 Dec 3 2005, 05:05:48 AM
Wicked_fan- Don;t feel bad about doing Alicein Wonderland in high school.. I've done the show twice. The first time, as a college student (Queen of Hearts), and most recently 2 years ago (at age 29- Tweedle Dum). I think this is an incredibly fun show to do. Weird, yes, but still fun.

LilMiz...- A cucumber! I will forbear to comment. (Smartasse's Code if Honir- If it's too easy, son't go there ;-P )

Liz_Bennett- I would love to direct 'denity! Crisis! Such a fun show.

re: Weirdest role you have ever played
 Dec 1 2005, 10:26:34 PM
mikewood: I love 'denity Crisis! I played the mother in a college pruduction, such fun. I shall never look at bananas in the same way again. Our Sommers were both horrid, unfortunately.

Two more odd roles of mine:
A Polynesian native (Bloody Mary's assistant) in "South Pacific"
One of the wives of the king in "The King and I"

as you can see in my pic, I am reeeeally white so I got to get acquainted with the myriad joys of sunless tanner and body makeup. Yuk!

David Hasselhoff
 Dec 1 2005, 02:44:46 AM
*bows* Thank you, andrew, for you kind remarks.

My favorite lead for J&H is Robert Cuccioli (since you asked, sort of).

I only wish that everyone could agree to disagree. For me, theatre should be a constant learning experience. And How can you learn from people who always agree with you?

Weirdest role you have ever played
 Dec 1 2005, 02:32:32 AM
Yup, I have thought of another thread.

What is the weirdest role you have ever performed? Any criteria constitutes "weird", so long as you explain why it is weird.

here are mine:

(warning- several references to children's theatre ahead)

Number one: Quasimodo in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"- a childrens show, no matter how many people told me I was typecast, the makeup was utter hell. And this was the first time I had ever played a "good" character.

re: Roles You Wish You Could Play
 Dec 1 2005, 02:15:26 AM
Some more I have thought of...

Salieri in Amadeus (yes, I know I have already mentioned this. But I adore this role!)

Emcee- Cabaret
Dracula- in any show
MaCavity- Cats
Drosselmeyer (sp?)- The Nutcracker (yeah, it's a ballet and not a play, but I still love this character and think it has a lot more potential than what I have seen realized.)
Mercutio- R&J
Merlin- Camelot
Salieri- Amadeus (oh, have I already mentioned that? I have regularly been told th

re: Musicals you loved immediately
 Dec 1 2005, 01:31:29 AM
Some that I cannot believe that i forgot (damn my Teflon-coated brain!)

Wicked (sorry to some of you, but I like it)
Liars & Legends (anyone know if there is a full recording of this? I've heard the tape that comes with the perusal copy and I would love to find the whole thing)
City of Angels
Finnian's Rainbow
Grand Hotel
The Rocky Horror Show (How COULD I have forgotten this oen?)
Starlight Express
Cabaret
Jesus Christ Superstar

On a side note-

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You