News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for danstudney

danstudney Profile Photo
Member Name: danstudney
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Dancing & Singing Encores During the Curtain Calls
 Sep 16 2009, 04:31:57 PM
Hmmm, Darquegk, that's news to me about Mary Jane Mary Lane... :)
re: Somebody Please Give Farah Alvin a Broadway Show of Her Own!
 Jul 7 2009, 07:27:42 PM
That'd be news to me...
re: Remember Steven Weber from 'Wings' and 'The Shining' mini-series?
 Jun 10 2009, 05:17:23 PM
Ray & PG,

Kevin Murphy's doing Heathers with the very talented Larry O'Keefe of Batboy/Legally Blonde fame. I'm doing something else on my own, which I am being somewhat tight-lipped about at the moment.

But Kevin *is* working with our Reefer director, Andy Fickman, on Heathers & they did recently do a reading of the first act with K-Bell & Christian, among others from the extended Reefer family.

Dan

re: ‘Reefer Madness’ to be released 10/28
 Sep 30 2008, 01:50:45 PM
I am happy to confirm that this is true, as I have been saying for quite some damned time... finally!

There will also be a concert performance at Joe's Pub on October 27th to support the release, featuring performers from the movie & stage show. For those of you in the New York area, I hope to see you there -- should be a fun night!

re: Reefer Madness Recording
 Sep 12 2008, 07:23:33 PM
Save your money! It's coming out next month. There should be an announcement shortly...
re: Reefer Revival
 Dec 19 2007, 09:37:48 PM
JoeKV,

Don't know what you mean by "connection." Reefer & Reaper sound a lot a like i guess, but as far as I know, that's it!

re: Reefer Revival
 Dec 16 2007, 06:46:42 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about posting Kevin's "personal" info -- that's just his work info, which you could probably find online pretty easily anyway. And I echo what he says. We are both on those damned picketlinez (check out www.unitedhollywood.com if you want updates on what's going on and to see how evil and greedy the corporate bastards are truly being! To give you an idea, every time someone buys a DVD of Reefer Madness for $24.99, we're supposed to get 4 cents. Yep, 4. The WGA want
re: Avon Calling
 Nov 6 2007, 03:45:47 AM
"Reefer Madness was based on a Shakespeare play? Really? Could you elaborate?"

Yes, we set out to do a new version of A Midsummer Nights Dream. The mechanicals became Reefer Denizens, the Nobles were transformed into clean-cut teenagers, Puck became the Lecturer, the forest was made out of marijuana, the time period was moved from Elizabethan England to 1936 and the plot was changed entirely...

j/k, I think what the original poster refers to is the song "Romeo and Juliet" a

re: Some Quick Thoughts on CRY BABY
 Nov 6 2007, 03:33:35 AM
Yeah, great press...

"The book is funny but it needs more work. Some of the jokes get lost but that could have something to do with terrible sound design. The entire second part of the second half really drags on. It is to plot heavy and it really drags. Several times throughout the show it really drags and the energy is lost. The main characters are also severley underwritten (which is also kind of the fun of the show) and the audience does not connect or care about the character CRY B

re: Some Quick Thoughts on CRY BABY
 Nov 5 2007, 02:38:41 PM
I, too, was at the invited dress of Cry Baby last night and must say (as have so many others before me) that it's downright unfair to "review" a show before it's open, before it's in previews, or in fact in this case, hours after its first complete run-through.

And to slam the sound design not once but twice while they're still teching is obnoxious. It's like criticizing the costume designer because the Lucky Strike girl's box wasn't finished yet.

I don't know how or why your

re: Movie musical budgets (kinda rant-y)
 Aug 8 2007, 12:35:33 PM
jpbran,

I can tell you from personal experience that if we had anywhere NEAR $15 million for Reefer Madness, it would have been a very different movie...

re: THE LITTLE MERMAID Write-Up
 Jul 10 2007, 04:20:05 PM
ljay,

I think Beauty and the Beast not winning many Tony Awards was due also to the fact that it was a bunch of "outsider theme park talent" coming to beloved Broadway for "Evil Corporate Disney's" very first show. In fact, the only person to win the Tony was the costume designer -- perhaps the only real Broadway veteran of the creative team.

re: Reefer Madness recording?
 Jul 10 2007, 04:12:36 PM
Please be patient. We are basically waiting on one agency to approve one contract. It's amazing how things can get held up!
re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
 Jul 10 2007, 03:54:19 PM
Another one from POTO I just remembered:

Raoul (in Think of Me): What a change, you're really not a bitch, the gawkish girl that once you were.

Jul 10 2007, 02:31:20 AM
Oh, yeah. I also have a particularly funny pop music one. Ben Jelen (who I adore, especially for covering Wicked Little Town) in "Come On"

Without you, I'll never feel the love inside of me

I thought was

Without you, I'll never feel the lovin' sodomy

(or maybe it was just wishful thinking)

Jul 10 2007, 02:26:00 AM
Well, I can answer your Reefer Madness question... It's "Reefer's made us crazy, barking mad."

One from me: All I Ask of You from Phantom of the Opera. I never heard the overlapping "pick-up" note that Raoul sings when Christine sings, "Say you love me"

"You (being the pick-up note)
Know I do.."

So I always thought it was weird, since it sounded to me like,

Christine:
Say you love me

Raoul:
No, I don't.

Which makes the least amount of sense ever in the middle of a love song.

As I recall, they cleaned it up a bit for the movie.

re: Reefer Madness- Soundtrack?
 Jun 20 2007, 12:25:12 AM
Getting there. Waiting on some paperwork at the moment. It will happen pretty quickly after that.
re: Is it possible to be revolutionary at this point?
 Jun 18 2007, 09:52:18 PM
I think those who are saying that "revolutions" are hard to judge as they are happening are closest to the truth.

With this "we need perspective" theory in mind, I think The Last Great Revolution in The Musical came out of the 1980's -- aka The British Invasion (and though it may sometimes seem so, they are not really written by "all the same people," but we'll call them ALW & Co. for short).

What ALW & Co. did, in their desire to keep a constant stream of spectacle and wonde

May 21 2007, 12:52:22 PM
Just FYI, Linda, what you have is *not* an official movie musical soundtrack, which doesn't exist yet. The one you have is probably the quickly-edited together one from the press kit in Dolby 5.1 and not in stereo (and which, by the way, is not for resale and should say so on the CD).

Kevin and I are still working on the official one and I'll be sure to let the boards right before we release it.

Dan

Apr 19 2007, 07:20:20 PM
Well, thanks for your kind words, everyone, and emogeek -- it was something you said earlier in this thread...

Anyway, I wouldn't spend $249.00 for the LA soundtrack. Hmmm, what do I know that you don't know???

Dan

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You