News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for david_fick

david_fick Profile Photo
Member Name: david_fick
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?  Nov 18 2017, 10:58:42 AM

Photos from the first leg of the international tour are out.

Hal Prince to revive original EVITA in Australia  Aug 12 2017, 01:36:54 AM

When the tour kicks off in South Africa in October, Eva will be played by an actress from the UK. It's probable that she'll continue with the legs in Tokyo and Sydney, isn't it?

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?  Aug 12 2017, 01:25:05 AM

The names of the three actors in the leading roles who will kick off the tour in October were announced on BroadwayWorld in May. The Eva is an alumnus of IN THE HEIGHTS...

FUN HOME, most factual musical?  Jul 1 2015, 10:46:10 AM

"(Is) FUN HOME... (the) most factual musical?"

Maybe. Maybe not. I quite like the posts above about the reliability of memory. But I do think that FUN HOME is one of the most important musicals dealing with homosexuality - period. Pat Cerasaro didn't seem to agree at first, but a later edit of the article at least gets the show a cursory mention in the introd

A Human Being Died That Night at BAM  Jul 1 2015, 02:13:08 AM

I saw  the play and reviewed it for BWW when it was performed in South Africa last year, and thought it was magnificent.

What shows does Terry like?  Jun 16 2015, 11:28:27 PM

Phillypinto write: "He didn't even like BOOK OF MORMON."

jv92 wrote: "THE BOOK OF MORMON... has a boring, poorly crafted score and a plebeian book with some good jokes."

The score of THE BOOK OF MORMON has a fair deal going for it, despite some flaws in its craftmanship. The book starts off better than it ends though, with some deft scene work at the top eventually disin

What shows does Terry like?  Jun 16 2015, 11:28:02 PM

Phillypinto write: "He didn't even like BOOK OF MORMON."

jv92 wrote: "THE BOOK OF MORMON... has a boring, poorly crafted score and a plebeian book with some good jokes."

The score of THE BOOK OF MORMON has a fair deal going for it, despite some flaws in its craftmanship. The book starts off better than it ends though, with some deft scene work at the top eventually disin

20 Broadway Shows that Everybody Should Know Well  Jun 16 2015, 02:06:29 AM

AHLiebross wrote: "For those who picked ANNIE GET YOUR GUN as one of the best musicals.... [O]ther than the contrapuntal "Old Fashioned Wedding,"... the music seemed mediocre. The story is dated and racist."

Fantod wrote: "I would say that calling the music in ANNIE mediocre is just incorrect. There's No Business, Can't Get a Man, What Comes Naturally, there are just so many great songs

FINDING NEVERLAND OBC recording  Jun 16 2015, 01:46:31 AM

Jordan Catalano wrote: "Maybe Harvey is keeping the lid very tight on it's existence until the day it comes out just so he can drive up sales of this wretched concept album. So whenever anyone goes to look for FINDING NEVERLAND, that's the only thing they see until the other is actually released."

That makes sense to me. Everything about FINDING NEVERLAND is so clearly about the bottom line that there's no room for artistry.

EVER AFTER Reviews  Jun 16 2015, 01:37:14 AM

I am a huge fan of the film and actually watched it again yesterday. I'm devastated by the reports of this show. With a smart score, EVER AFTER could be a fantastic musical, but this production seems to miss more than it hits.

Any news on Encores! WILD PARTY?  May 22 2015, 03:47:05 AM

Limelight Mike wrote: "Any news on Encores! WILD PARTY?"

It's still by Andrew Lippa. It's still not as good as Michael John LaChiusa's.

tongue-out

Artwork revealed for THE KING AND I and LCT  Oct 10 2014, 11:38:33 PM
EricMontreal22 wrote: Are the statues about to fall and topple over her?

No, Eric. You know this play is about how Anna topples the statues using colonialist entitlement to give her the strength of Samson's hair. Look at her face and body attitude. She's plotting...

ALL AMERICAN  Oct 10 2014, 02:37:41 PM
FranklinShepard-Inc. wrote: Though the original book by the show (written by the young Mel Brooks) was not treated well by director Josh Logan, the score (by Strouse and Adams) is fabulous and very worthwhile listening to.

Mel Brooks never completed the original book, and Josh Logan wrote major sections of the second act. Strouse and Adam's score ultimately doesn't work for the show, despite a couple of good songs. There's a huge gap between the score and the narrative it

Greatest Broadway Lyricist?  Sep 7 2014, 10:08:59 PM
"By right she should be taken out and hung" should be enough to disqualify Lerner from the title fight, but there are many other examples where his lyrics falter too. His name can be struck from the list.
What cast recording of THE KING ANDI do you recommend?  May 29 2014, 03:36:57 AM
Avoid the 1964 Studio Cast Album with Barbara Cook and Theodore Bikel at all costs. Terrible orchestrations by Philip J. Lang (that only serve to make one realise how brilliant the original orchestrations are) and second rate performances with some really awful pidgin English accents are just two things that make this an awful listen. Any other major recording of the score is better.
Can an International Company do a Broadway Run?  May 19 2014, 11:43:21 PM
The cast of KAT AND THE KINGS (1999) was South African, although I think the understudies were US actors. The production was basically the same one seen in the West End and in South Africa, with the many of the cast members having been associated with the show since its inception earlier in the 1990s, when the show was slightly different in its format and did not yet feature the character of Lucy Dixon.
MY FAIR LADY Remake Not Happening  May 3 2014, 11:31:13 PM
best12bars wrote: As for MISS SAIGON, I think it lends itself to a film adaptation... I'm actually looking forward to that one (assuming it happens).

Completely agreed. Let's just hope that they shift the fall of Vietnam to its chronological position, where it always should have been.

Fox's GREASE: Live Version Of Musical To Air In 2015  Apr 28 2014, 10:51:11 PM
Glad to see a second network picking up the idea. Now ABC needs to get into the mix and they need to push each other to deliver better productions of shows. THE SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE was turgid thanks to the lack of direction and a mostly unsatisfying cast. Competition like this ups the stakes, and should push the live TV musical format forward.
When Did You Fall In Love With Audra McDonald?  Apr 27 2014, 10:53:18 PM
My first experience of Audra McDonald was "Down With Love" on MY FAVOURITE BROADWAY: THE LEADING LADIES. My adoration for her was instant.
Megan Mullally To Return to Broadway In GUYS AND DOLLS?  Apr 21 2014, 11:10:30 PM
adamgreer wrote: Mary Testa and Titus Burgess were only standouts if you consider mercilessly chewing the scenery with no regards for the characters standout performances.

Absolutely. Titus Burgess screlting his way though "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" stood out for all the wrong reasons. There was no regard for character there.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You