News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for slow_the_rain

Member Name: slow_the_rain
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

MERRILY 2023 Broadway Revival Cast Recording dropping 11/15 at midnight!  Nov 16 2023, 05:47:10 PM

AtticusSings said: "I can imagine the interaction between Sondheim and Groff.

SS: I don’t think it will work and here’s why…

JG: I love you more than anyone in this world and your opinion is extremely important to me but let me try do it this way.

(After seeing it and acknowledging it’s actually brilliant)

SS: Oh well what do I know? I only wrote it.

"

Again, I haven’t seen this

MERRILY 2023 Broadway Revival Cast Recording dropping 11/15 at midnight!  Nov 15 2023, 10:12:10 PM

jpbran said: "Crazy to see the polar opposite reactions to “everything.”"

FWIW, I think I would have been more open to the "everything" in Our Time not being sung if Groff hadn't made a similar choice in Growing Up with the line "We can have it all."

Sondheim's writing is specific, we all know this, so to have an actor choosing to speak lyrics that Sondheim set to specific pitches feels...off. Doubt we'd see any room

MERRILY 2023 Broadway Revival Cast Recording dropping 11/15 at midnight!  Nov 15 2023, 01:34:04 PM

This is one of the better revival recordings in the last couple years, but I still very much prefer the 1994 recording.

My only quibbles are minor: I miss having Frank/a male voice on a few of the high harmonies (Mendez has the moving part on the last "damn few" in Old Friends, and there are some lower options taken in the Our Time harmonies between Frank and Charley), and the tempos are a hair slow for my taste. I haven't seen the current iteration of this production, bu

Santino Fontana and Judy Kuhn in I can get it for you wholesale  Oct 30 2023, 10:19:26 AM

I caught this production this past Sunday and found very little to enjoy. It seemed the only discussion in the theatre during intermission and after the show was centered on Barbra Streisand, which speaks volumes about how thought provoking and stimulating the show feels in 2023. So many of the themes feel timeless, but they are wholly let down by a clunker of a book, and one-dimensional characters.

Santino Fontana and Judy Kuhn do decent work, but the real standout of the cast is Joy

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Oct 28 2023, 11:14:59 AM

Sammy232 said: "AEA AGMA SM said: "Daniel Brody is credited with projection design. Whether he used AI tools to help create the images I can’t say, but that wouldn’t have necessarily saved the production any money."

Exactly. The more I think about this, the more I think someone is trying to start a scandal where there just isn't one. There is still a hired projection designer who is using a tool instead of drawing it all by hand. It's not as if the projection designer has been replaced by a computer. Here's a link of a very basic explanation of how this tool would work for projection design.https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ai.html

I understand the fear of AI in the arts, and agree there is plenty to be fearful of, but I'm just not sure this is it.
"

I fail to see how this isn't a cost-cutting measure that could ultimately pave the way for further use of AI generated scenic design within the theatre world. The utility and proliferation of generative AI in the digital art world is not wholly relevant. Just because a lot of people use it frequently and to better effect doesn't mean it's not ultimately costing people their jobs. The argument stands: They (producers, designer, I'm not sure who made the call here) used AI to facilitate the creation of a subpar product and did not pay for the additional time and human labor to refine the product. If we tolerate it and still shell out the money for tickets, they will continue to do so and we will only see more unfinished and obviously inhuman designs on stage.

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Oct 27 2023, 08:18:10 PM

I saw a post on TikTok speculating that the background projections for this production are AI generated. The poster includes a few photos.

I’ve known a few projection designers with a lot of confidence in bad Photoshop, sure, but the imagery certainly seems to possess AI idiosyncrasies aplenty.

MOULIN ROUGE! Broadway Casting Thread  Oct 22 2023, 02:37:58 PM

quizking101 said: "I want to go see Tituss but I’ve been seeing lots of tweets lately that Patrick Clanton has been going on for Zidler (at least 2x a week) so I’m hesitant"

I can only find two tweets about Clanton going on (10/13 and 10/21 matinee) and it looks like Dylan Paul was on for the 10/21 evening.

Going to give Tituss the benefit of the doubt on this one before the boards crucify him for his attendance record: The man is doing eight shows

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway  Oct 19 2023, 02:48:53 PM

I'm curious if they'll keep their 7 performance week, or add an 8th performance to boost grosses. Demand for Groban was driving steep ticket prices, yes, but it also felt to me like the audience was subsidizing their (his?) choice to do a shorter week.

I know nothing of how everyone else's contracts would have to be renegotiated, but it would seem like they'd need to take every opportunity to maximize their grosses unless they have someone truly megawatt lined up.

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Oct 10 2023, 09:05:38 PM

JSquared2 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "JSquared2 said: "Word is that The Queen is a former star of a recent-ish hit night time TV soap opera who ALSO has quite a bit of Broadway cred."

Bellamy Young?
"

A bigger name.

"

Baranski?

ALNM revival rumor...  Oct 4 2023, 10:21:43 AM

It’s a commonly held belief that even if Julie Andrews wanted to return to the stage and sing in a musical, she legally couldn’t. She settled a malpractice suit that likely cited loss of income from singing. I don’t know the terms of the settlement, but if she were to reverse course and profit from “singing” in a stage show like Night Music, it would open the door for legal troubles. 

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread  Sep 12 2023, 09:45:03 PM

PianoMann said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I couldn’t tell when I saw this live and again when listening to the album… what’s that noise at the end of the organ prelude (the one that replaced the factory whistle)?"

It sounds to me like the roar of the furnace fire below the pie shop, which I know isn't present in the Prelude but that's what it struck me as immediately.
"

I agree it’s an oven sound. It sounds like

Dylan Mulvaney/Cabaret  Aug 28 2023, 02:55:04 PM

gibsons2 said: "TheatreFan4 said: "gibsons2 said: "I'll let you figure it out on your own, hon"

It's clearly the Transphobia lol.
"

You are insufferable and frankly really boring with your "everything is a phobia" paranoia. Lighten up.
"

The only insufferable thing here is the thinly veiled transphobia. No one is drawing conclusions that aren't based on the vague and condesc

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Aug 9 2023, 12:11:24 PM

JSquared2 said: "RexInLights said: "Do you all realize how rude and jaded you sound? The cast is made up of talented theater performers and not stunt casting big names and you seem to be more interested in how many tickets it may sell as opposed to if it’s going to be good or not. Just another day around these toxic wastelands."

Exactly! There would be just as much (if not more) bitching and moaning on these boards if they had cast movi

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Aug 7 2023, 09:19:01 AM

Dom P said: "Just askin! Anyone see a limited engagement of Timothee Chalamet in this. I know he's playing Dylan in a film whenever Hollywood execs stop trying to starve out The writers guild and SAG Aftra members,and had two films coming out hopefully later this year. But he looks and sounds great in the Wonka trailer."

Ah yes, the perfect fit for Spamalot: famed comedian Timothée Chalamet. Will he have to audition, or, like Wonka, will the team just watc

Notebook Musical coming to Broadway  Aug 3 2023, 01:06:15 PM

BroadwayNYC2 said: "I mean, I agree with the power of Swift, but every film she has been in has flopped miserably. Tacking a producer title on ain’t going to be the cash grab you think it will when her fans wouldn’t even spend $11 to see AMSTERDAM with an already stacked cast."

Amsterdam was DOA with or without Taylor Swift's involvement. David O. Russell's reputation took critical hits in the #MeToo era, and he would've needed to turn in an u

HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO from Jacob Yandura & Rebekah Greer Melocik sets Broadway premiere  Jul 20 2023, 01:26:15 PM

Not being facetious here: Can someone explain the Sammi Cannold appeal to me? Having seen her Evita at City Center, plus clips of just about everything else she's had her hand in in the past 5 years, I've yet to see anything that makes a case for her ascension to the top echelon of the theatrical directing world at such a young age. As her mother is a producer, the #1 thing I can see working in her favor is nepotism.

The dramaturgy and respect for the material seems to always b

CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews  Apr 27 2023, 01:59:29 PM

Saw this on Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised. I think my partner summed it up best: This is the best production we can hope to see of an otherwise bad musical.

Curtain was 7:00 and we left the theatre at 10:00 on the dot. The show does not feel long at all, though it does lack a certain spark/liveliness in moments of little action (the chess scene in Act II in particular). 

What Sorkin was able to do with the book works. The dialogue is fresh, and the sardonic reframing

PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread  Mar 24 2023, 04:50:27 PM

Guess I'll be the contrarian here, but I don't understand the rapturous response. The orchestrations sound wonderful, and many of the supporting cast's songs are just as good as previous recordings. A lot of the mixing on the vocals, however, sounds overly breathy and whispery. I'm not sure how she sounds live, but Micaela Diamond in particular sounds thin, and I can hear every flaw in her voice, especially in All The Wasted Time. 

I almost turned the recording off

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?  Jan 25 2023, 04:31:15 PM

If the hypothetical producers opted for a way younger choice, I’d love to see Jessie Buckley take a crack at it a few years down the line.

In the category of “she can sing but does she have the stamina” I nominate Olivia Colman or Toni Collette. 

I’d also love to see Heather Headley, or even a reined in Kristin Chenoweth.

Harry Styles, Bruno Mars eyed for KINKY BOOTS movie  Sep 26 2022, 11:15:17 AM

Yeah...everyone in Hollywood is eyeing Harry right now, especially because of the way Don't Worry Darling created its own self-priming press tour. 

Harry will be the male Lady Gaga for a while yet: The musician turned "actor" that every producer will name drop to the Post when they're trying to gauge public interest in a project.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You