News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for tomwing

tomwing Profile Photo
Member Name: tomwing
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: 'What Rhymes With Chaperone?'
 Apr 1 2006, 12:38:39 PM
Eva Peron:}
re: Productions Of Plays Taken Out Of Their Periods
 Mar 28 2006, 04:11:47 PM
Most of the Shakespearean and Ancient Greek tragedies are nowadays staged out of their eras, with a great deal of anachronisms. This happens with any play that has political or social connection to a certain period. Euripides' “Trojan women” or “Hecuba” for example after the Iraqi attacks have more and more obvious modern references all over the world. So do Shakespeare’s political plays (such as recent Julius Caesar with Denzel Washington) or his comedies (that are usually transferred into the
re: All Women Short Plays- Not Trojan
 Mar 28 2006, 03:47:04 PM
I watched recently a very interesting version of "Celestina" by Fernando de Rojas played by an all female cast who played all the parts of the play (male and female) in turns. The 7 actresses were supposed to be Nuns who discovered a copy of De Rojas' book in the basements of their convent. Just for the history "Celestina" (or the tragedy of Callisto and Melibea), written in the 15th Century, is the play on which Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" was based and also one of the most imprortant play
re: Misinterpreted Songs
 Mar 28 2006, 12:53:53 PM
Two songs come in my mind

the first is "my Funny Valentine" which is often sung on February the 14th although Valentine is not a "sweetheart" but the person's name.

the second is "I won't send roses" from Mack n Mabel that due to its witty and extremely original lyrics is thought to mean totally the oposite of what it really does.

re: 'Bad ' Musicals You Enjoyed
 Mar 28 2006, 10:09:50 AM
Aspects of love is concidered to be a flop, but I always thought that it is one of the most charming shows I've ever known
re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
 Mar 28 2006, 10:07:04 AM
I always thought Norma Desmond to be a wicked character (and charming of course). Especially when she calls Betty... All this larger than life attitude and ignorance of reality is kind of spooky
re: Mouling Rouge on Broadway?
 Mar 26 2006, 06:14:37 AM
What's the point of a stage version of Moulin Rouge? What we saw in the movie wass already theatrical enough. Ii could never give something new.

PS. nevertheless, I never liked the movie:P

re: TV/Movie star who originated from Musical Theatre
 Mar 26 2006, 06:06:02 AM
Richard Gere was in the original off-broadway cast of Grease
re: New ABBA Musical
 Mar 25 2006, 01:01:15 PM
Kristina Fran Duvemala has a dreamy score! I wonder why it took them so long to transfer it on broadway or west end
re: best overtures
 Mar 25 2006, 12:58:10 PM
Mack n' Mabel by far...
re: Movie that would make great musical adaptation
 Mar 24 2006, 06:28:19 PM
Tim Burton's films would be great...

Corpse Bride could be simply magical, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too.

Danny Elffman has the scores ready

re: Shows that should never be revived
 Mar 24 2006, 06:12:57 PM
All the high budget musicals that proved to be flops. I am sure their producers wouldn't even think of reviving them:)
re: First musical adapted from a movie?
 Mar 24 2006, 05:59:41 PM
"Carousel" is based on Frank Borsage's 1930 film "Liliom" (based on the same titled play by Ferenc Molnár)

As for the film musical that hit the stage (apart from the Disney Cartoons and works such as Fame and Saturday Night Fever) I have the impression (but I may be wrong) that Victor Victoria wasn't performed on stage until 1996

re: Musicals with Small Casts?
 Mar 24 2006, 06:09:50 AM
"Little by Little" aka a Musical About Friendship, Hormones And Popcorn, is quite funny and casts two women and a man
re: Threepenny Opera Final Dress -- SPOILERS
 Mar 24 2006, 06:02:27 AM
I'm soooooooooo jealous((((
re: Adam Pascal in Sunset Blvd
 Mar 21 2006, 07:36:30 PM
I agree that Sunset has one of the most sofisticated scores ever composed for a musical. One of the strongest finales in the history of theatre (and of cinema of course. As for Ewan Mac Gregor seems an odd choise to me as well. Not american enough and his voice is a little strange (although not bad). Adam Pascal on the other hand is not what we would call a household name as he is more of a broadway actor. After all isn't this the reason Glen took the lead instead of Patti (who was way better?)
re: Songs About Broadway
 Mar 21 2006, 07:19:12 PM
Babes on Broadway by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney
Nights on Broadway by the BeeGees
King of Broadway from the Producers
and Ray Connif's to A Broadway Rose

I'm sure there are more:)

re: Is the Threepenny Opera good?
 Mar 21 2006, 07:11:01 PM
Kringas it depends on who plays Polly:) The showstopers belong to Jenny, however the dramatic interest is on Polly's side. So it has to do with what the director or the stars of the show wants. In a very good production of Threepenny that runs here in Greece, Polly does not only sing Pirate Jenny but Alabama Song from Mahagony as well... I was just reffering to Brecht's original text
re: Suddenly Last Summer - help please
 Mar 21 2006, 07:05:20 PM
And of course there's an intence political level.

How free is one to express his opinion when opposing to what's thought to be politically correct?

What's politically correct?

And finally is Mrs Venable really guilty because she struggles to preserve the beauty of her memories of sebastian?

And is Katherine innocent just beacause she holds the truth?

For me in "Suddenly" Williams makes a note on Blanche DuBois' "I don't want realism, I want magic"

re: Is the Threepenny Opera good?
 Mar 21 2006, 06:50:47 PM
Pirate Jenny is actually Jenny's Song. Polly sings only a verse of the song on her wedding day just to show her husband-to-be she is aware of his close relationship whith Jenny and her bordel.

However it's a pity Cindy won't perform the song. Her cover would have been awesome. Does anyone have any clue why? Pirate Jenny is the one song most actresses and singers all over the world would kill to have the chance to sing.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You