News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for StephieElise

Member Name: StephieElise
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Color-blind and gender-blind casting  Oct 29 2020, 07:45:17 AM
The Black Swan State Theatre Company is Western Australia is actually about to do a production of Oklahoma! starring Emily Havea, an Australian Tongan woman, as Curly. Here is an interesting article where Producer/Director Richard Carroll explains the gender-blind casting: https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/features/oklahoma-gets-a-curly-twist/
The Sound of Music  Sep 16 2020, 09:28:15 AM
I saw the London Palladium production here in Australia a few years ago and was actually amazed by how much I loved it and actually went back again a few weeks later and still enjoyed it just as much. I think casting the right Maria with that “it factor” is key (Amy Lehpamer was just glorious!). The staging, including the hills, worked well too from my memory. I commented to someone the other day that when theatre reopens I expect we will see a period of “safe” shows being revived that will guar
Lazarus  Aug 22 2020, 11:18:06 AM
I saw The Production Company’s production of it in Melbourne last year. It was very well done but I have absolutely no idea what it was about.
Am I Racist for Liking King and I  Jun 18 2020, 12:13:25 AM

Sutton Ross said: "It's Australia's racist version of The King And I. Soon, they'll be Aussies in this thread justifying this decision..... "

Nope! We all thought it was horrendous too! They did it for the publicity that came from Lisa McCune and Teddy Tahu Rhodes becoming a real-life couple while in South Pacific (while everyone believed she was still married) - a terrible reason for casting in any event, but in this case also a terribly racist one.

Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice  Jun 16 2020, 02:39:01 AM
Memphis
The Sapphires

FROZEN closes on Broadway  May 14 2020, 08:39:04 PM

BroadwayGuy12 said: "rkade21 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "FROZEN is still scheduled to open on the West End later this year."

I was trying to figure that out, the NYT article suggested it will not be, but might've only been referring to currently running productions:

Schumacher said the company remains committed to “The Lion King” and “Aladdin” on Broadway, to “The Lion King” and &l

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?  May 8 2020, 07:52:22 AM
Broadway is welcome to borrow Ainsley Melham again to play Molina. His performance in Melbourne last year was honestly one of the best I have ever seen from any actor in any medium.
What’s the last show you saw on Broadway before its closing?  Mar 16 2020, 06:13:01 AM
Australia’s shut down (ban on gatherings of 500+ people) started today. There were shows in each of our 4 major theatres and only Harry Potter is going to survive (although Come From Away only had another week left and is going to return next year instead). I saw Billy Elliot last night on what turned out to be it’s last performance. Fortunately I also saw Shrek last weekend; although hopefully it’s Brisbane season will go ahead in May.
STARRY: A Pop-Rock Musical About Vincent Van Gogh  Jan 31 2020, 07:16:31 AM
Interesting idea. There are a pair of Australian musical theatre composers (Kansley and Lidert) who have been working on a jazz musical about Jackson Pollock, but this one sounds more appealing to me.
Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls  Jan 16 2020, 11:22:06 PM

singer234 said: "I would love to see Hailey Kilgore play this part."

I haven’t actually seen the show, but I wonder if they’d be hesitant to cast someone African American because of Cady having lived in Africa - either concerns that jokes would fall flat or, even worse, seem racist when they’re about a black girl rather than a white one (or Asian or whatever). For example, does I it include the “I’m from Michigan” joke? T

Creatives playing cast  Dec 29 2019, 09:54:09 AM
A bit different, but one night Toby Marlow went on as Catherine Parr in Six on the West End. There was apparently a bug going through the cast so they had to pull in a performer from an earlier production plus Toby and did a scaled back concert version; the Megasix is online.
The one that got away...  Nov 6 2019, 08:33:33 AM
For me it would have to be Shuffle Along. I had tickets booked for September 2016 (I think before I’d even booked my flights) and was obviously bummed when Audra had to pull out (but you can’t be too bummed about someone being pregnant, obviously!) but was still excited to see it anyway until they pulled the pin on it.
Hamilton vs Harry Potter and the cursed child  Aug 25 2019, 04:38:09 AM
I would absolutely say Hamilton. I’ve flown 10,000 miles twice to see Hamilton (in New York and Chicago) and would see it again in a heartbeat - fortunately next year I’ll only have to fly 550 miles to see it. Whereas HP is currently playing in my city and has apparently booked its theatre for 5 years and I honestly don’t know that I’ll bother to see it again. I’m a big Potter fan but to me the experience was more like that long distance flight - it had some enjoyable moments but I was relieved
Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?  Aug 2 2019, 08:34:52 PM
The one year I attended (I’m overseas) I got a heap of t-shirts including one that was a cast and crew only one for Hedwig - I wore it the next week at the first preview of the tour in San Francisco and it turned out the guy who sold it to me was there selling posters! I also got a nice laptop bag with show posters printed on it and wine glass charms of show posters.

Probably my favourite thing though was the Priscilla OBC recording. After listening to it I declared that I really wanted

Roles on Broadway that are not normally wigged?  Aug 2 2019, 08:26:56 PM

TheSassySam said: "I was thinking about wigs while watching Come From Away last night.

I believe the Beverly/Annette role is no wig, but the Beulah and Hannah roles are wigged.
"

Interestingly the wigs for Come From Away vary between productions. In Australia Beverly/Annette wears a chin length strawberry blonde wig (while Zoe Gertz has longer blonde hair), in the UK the wig is a similar style but a darker colour and then it certainly looks like on Broadway

Wild Broadway Stories?  Jul 21 2019, 06:44:48 AM
Not Broadway, but a few years ago in Melbourne there was a production of West Side Story with a very limited run and no understudies. The actress playing Anita came down with laryngitis and they didn’t have time to replace her. So they ended up having the original actress on stage doing all the blocking and choreography and lip syncing to the assistant director doing the lines and another actress doing the singing. By the time I saw it the actress had recovered, and while she was fantastic I kin
Anthony Warlow to play Sweeney Todd in Australia  Jun 23 2019, 03:57:25 AM
I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it! I wasn’t planning to go but it popped up on Lasttix. I had previously seen the Victorian Opera production so it was interesting to compare the two.

Warlow was brilliant, as to be expected, and it was nice to be able to actually understand the lyrics (anyone who has seen Teddy Tahu Rhodes will understand).

There was a stark difference in the Mrs Lovetts - I felt Gina Riley was very strong comedically, whereas the opera singer I saw pre

Hugh Jackman Music Tour 2019  Jun 6 2019, 07:39:49 AM
I have tickets for one of his Melbourne shows but I may instead be in Florida having cancer treatment at that time. Hopefully I will either be in the States by the end of this month and can get up to New York for one of those shows or will be back in time for his final Melbourne show and can sometime swap or sell my tickets.
Strangely specific question about Broadway sippy cups  Apr 21 2019, 04:33:52 AM
I just checked the bottom of my ones from Hamilton and Phantom (couldn’t be bothered digging at the back of my cupboard for others) and they were both made by the Lika Cup Company, which is based in New York but the cups are made in China. The website is www.likacup.com
Muriel's Wedding the Musical  Apr 8 2019, 07:15:32 AM
I saw the show on the weekend and was absolutely blown away! I didn’t go in with very high expectations as I’ve never been a big fan of the movie, but it was fantastic! I hadn’t listened to the cast recording beforehand, but absolutely loved the songs. Had the CD on in the car this morning and couldn’t wait for work to finish to keep listening to it. Natalie Abbott is a true star in the making (I actually prefer her voice to Maggie’s on the cast recording) and I loved seeing Stefanie Jones in a
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You