News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for altoid06

altoid06 Profile Photo
Member Name: altoid06
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Fifteen Seconds of Grace and Here & Now
 Mar 9 2008, 09:58:05 PM
Victoria Clark does do performances outside of the tri-state area. I met her a couple weeks ago in Findlay, OH at a performance for her new album. Seeing her sing the songs and hearing the stories behind why she recorded those songs, make the CD even more memorable. I don't know if she technically "tours" or just does random appearances.
re: Does anyone know why the Playbills have been in black and white lately.
 Aug 16 2007, 12:58:32 AM
When I went to Curtains in June the playbill was already in black and white. It surprised me that the show would have already switched over.

Still looks lovely framed and signed on my wall.

re: Fairfield, OH high school chosen to perform ALW's Phantom
 Aug 1 2007, 01:35:39 AM
I attend college around 45 minutes from Fairfield so I'll have to go check out the show. Traditionally, they have a very solid music program with a lot of talented students. Of course, "Phantom" will be hard for any high school to put on, especially with some of the special effects this show requires.

Like I said, I'll have to go check it out next year. On a side note, what other schools were chosen to perform the show?

re: Worst Broadway Audience Ever?
 Jul 30 2007, 12:38:58 AM
In my personal experiences, the worst audience I've ever had to experience was at "A Chorus Line" in mid June. We got the joy of sitting beside these wonderful people who thought it was their job to be the entertainment for the surrounding people. Not only was it the four people beside us, but also three or four more behind us. When the lights began to dim, the guy beside me started to obnoxiously shush the audience, and then laugh hysterically. As the show started and the first man came out
re: TKTS
 Jul 16 2007, 08:11:59 PM
In response to Bee2:

I check the full price tickets through the company on their official website. Usually, this allows you to plan out your shows a little more. We were in NYC for three days the last time and scheduled it so we could see a matinee and three evening performances. I had done enough research that I was able to make a list at home of what shows would be the best chance of getting at each performance, and we managed to get the shows in that order.

Now, some sh

re: TKTS
 Jul 15 2007, 03:11:24 PM
The TKTS booth is a great way to get discount tickets for many shows. I live out of state (in Ohio) and whenever we come into the city, we buy our tickets through TKTS. If you do your research beforehand it's a great way to see more shows for less money. First off, find a site that will tell you what is on the boards each day. I use http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp which gives you a day by day listing of what is on and how much off you get. Keeping track of the grosses is also a great way to figure out which shows will be available. Next, as the trip nears, see what seats are available at each of the shows you are seeing, every day you'll be there. Keep note of which shows have better seats availble on certain days. For instance, I did this before my trip so I knew that I had a better chance of getting tickets to see Curtains on Wednesday evening than the matinee, and Les Mis was the other way around. This allows you to get the most bang for your buck.

Since the South Street Seaport location opens earlier, you can sometimes get better tickets to see shows. It also saves you time if you want to see both an evening show and a matinee. The lines here are considerably shorter, but they also have less windows open. We waited around 30 minutes at the TKTS there and around an hour at the TKTS in Times Square. That's an average of showing up when the booth opens. I'm sure it changes based on when you go though.

The boards are easy to read. If the show isn't on the board, it isn't available. A lot of times all the shows will not fit on the screen, so the board will flip back and forth between the two sets. You'll find out what seats are the best available at the counter when purchasing. Remember to pay in cash or traveller's checks, or else you can not buy tickets through the TKTS.

Hope I helped and Good Luck!

Billboard cast album chart
 Jul 10 2007, 12:08:27 AM
In response to the original post:
I currently own a copy of many of the CDs mentioned in your post and had them before the 2006 Tony awards. Heck, I even shelled out the cash for two copies of DRS after "losing one" (which I later found in my car).

Why did I purchase them? For me, a cast recording is a way to bring a part of theatre to you. Living in Ohio, I don't get a chance to head to NYC when a show looks appealing to me. However, it is possible for me to hop onto amazon.

re: Wicked in the Bathroom
 Jul 7 2007, 11:43:56 PM
I had "Defying Gravity" play in the previews of Pirates of the Caribbean 3. It was one of the weirdest things ever, simply because I don't think anyone else in that whole theatre even knew what "Wicked" is except the people I was with.

But yeah, "No Good Deed" is fitting for a bathroom moment. :)

re: The Walter Kerr's seating...
 Jul 5 2007, 10:27:26 PM
We managed to get tickets for Grey Gardens at the TKTS the week after the Tonys (which was no easy task, unless you wanted partial-view) Anyhoo, the seats we ended up with were Row J in the Mezzanine (the last row) and they were still good seats. The Walter Kerr is a small theatre and I can't imagine any seat being bad.

I hope you enjoy the show and whichever seats you pick!

re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
 Jul 2 2007, 12:58:08 AM
First off, I'm also nineteen. I just got back from a trip with my parents to the city where we saw four shows. We went to Les Mis, Curtains, Grey Gardens, and A Chorus Line, stagedooring two of them.

The shows we did stagedoor were Curtains and Grey Gardens. At both shows I was easily one of the youngest people there. Most of the people at Curtains were at the stagedoor to see David Hyde Pierce, many of these in their 40s-50s. At Grey Gardens, there was one girl younger than me, and

re: quick question for curtains, BATB, hairspray, and JB
 Jun 21 2007, 11:37:04 PM
For Curtains: We bought tickets for the night performance of Curtains on Wed. June 13th at the TKTS. They were pretty good seats. The matinee was also available. I doubt SRO seats will be available if all the seats aren't filled. As far as I know, Curtains hasn't been selling out. It was a really fun show and the cast was phenomenal in the show and at the stage door. Very nice people.

Anyhoo, good luck getting tickets to the show of your choice!

re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
 May 8 2007, 08:44:08 PM
I don't know if you are AAA members, but we recently booked The Skyline Hotel for $669 for three nights in June (and that includes all the taxes)... It's on 10th and 51st and a pretty nice hotel. We stayed there last year too, and the rooms were pretty big by NYC standards. Another big advantage is parking if you are driving in to the city. It's ten bucks( I believe), on site. I don't know how much you think is expensive and what kind of lodging you want. The Skyline is listed as a 3 star,
Kristin and Suave
 May 7 2007, 02:13:16 PM
I'm almost positive that the voice in the Suave commercial is Kristin Chenoweth. It sounds just like her!
re: Last minute Duet! Help!
 May 2 2007, 01:45:01 PM
It's overdone, but "As Long as You're Mine" from Wicked might be a good fit and you both are probably familiar with it. Another option may be "Nothing is too Wonderful to Be True" from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Good luck!

re: Is 2 shows in 1 day too much?
 May 2 2007, 12:26:22 PM
I'm a teenager (also out-of-state) and last year was my first NYC experience. In two days we saw three broadway shows and a taping of the David Letterman show. Sure, it was hectic, but I loved every minute of it. This year, we are returning to the city again and we are aiming for four shows in three days. If she requested to see Broadway shows for her birthday, she obviously loves them and two shows won't be enough
re: High School Musical on Broadway?
 Mar 28 2007, 02:08:45 PM
I would say that most families would not take a trip to New York to spend hundreds of dollars on tickets to see the live version of a movie they own. However, a musical like this one would most likely be a success, simply because of the cult following of the movie. I still have not seen the movie (Yes, I must live under a rock or something) so, therefore, I can't say if it would be a decent stage show.

By the way, weren't they casting for a stage show at Disneyland or Disney World fo

re: What makes a hit Broadway show?
 Mar 6 2007, 08:51:55 AM
Is anyone else singing the cast recording of "[title of show]" right now?

After all, you do need a recognizable commodity.

re: Does listening to a cast recording before seeing a show take away from
 Mar 6 2007, 08:41:57 AM
Personally, I don't think it does. Actually, I find I enjoy the show more if I'm familiar with the cast recording. Especially shows like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, because it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me before I saw the show, but then I understood all the songs as I was watching. I like knowing what songs are coming up. In the same sense, live theatre is completely different from listening to the cast recording in your car. You get that connection with the performers which makes fo
re: Help Support Broadway Cares
 Feb 28 2007, 10:12:16 PM
Nope! It remembers the organization so you don't have to type it in. There's no inconvience at all!
Help Support Broadway Cares
 Feb 28 2007, 09:17:57 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered www.goodsearch.com It's a really great site where every search you do, BCEFA makes a penny. It's free to use and it runs through yahoo so the quality of the search isn't compromised. I thought that you guys might be willing to help support the BCEFA organization and that you may be interested in the site. There is a link in my signature if you just want to click! :)

I'm really hoping this isn't considered off-topic on this board, but since

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You