pixeltracker

At what age is it too old to stage door?

At what age is it too old to stage door?

Fiyero13
#1At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:32pm

I just figured I ask because I'm thinking i gettin there bein 19, is there an age where it's frowned upon to stagedoor, just wondering

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#2re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:34pm

I see a lot of people older than 19 at stage doors...

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#2re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:34pm

When I saw Tony Danza in the Producers, most people at the stage door were 40+.

I don't think there is an age limit.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#3re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:35pm

I'm 24 and I stagedoor. Not all the time, only if I'm especially keen on a performer/performance. Last time I did was 'Evita' in London, and the other lady who was waiting for Philip Quast was easily two and half times my age. So there really is no "too old". XD

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#4re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:37pm

I never thought of stage-dooring as an age-related activity. I'm sure it depends on the stars, but I don't think I've ever noticed any one particular demographic that does it more than others.

For the record, my name is Mother's Younger Brother, I'm 33 years old, and I stage-door.

Fiyero13
#5re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:39pm

Another reason I ask is because when i was getting Coleen Sexton's (elphaba stand-in of wicked) she went to the kids who were getting autographs and said 'yeah i used to stage door when i was your age' kinda rubbed me the wrong way

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:40pm

Have you ever SEEN the stage door at Jersey Boys?!

NEVER TOO OLD. re: At what age is it too old to stage door?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mother's Younger Brother
#7re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:42pm

Hmmm...maybe that was the only age she saw Broadway shows regularly.

Anyway, when I say "stage-door," I only do it for those celebrities I have a vested interest in meeting/seeing face-to-face. I don't stage-door just for the sake of stage-dorring...getting my Playbill signed by the cast of the 19th national tour of Phantom of the Opera.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#8re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:45pm

Anyone can stage door - I see all types of people. Jersey Boys is a good example.

Fiyero13
#9re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:54pm

That's true, but I wonder what the actors themselves think...sure there are people older who are stage dooring but I wonder if they mind signing their playbills

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#10re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:56pm

If they minded that much, I'm fairly certain they'd book it out of alternative exits. :P

LizzieCurry
#11re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:57pm

That's true, but I wonder what the actors themselves think...sure there are people older who are stage dooring but I wonder if they mind signing their playbills

I think you should ask them and then post all about it here. Perhaps in a new thread called, "Wow, I'm insecure! Validate me!"

Fiyero13
#12re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:58pm

Yeah point taken

hiltyfied
#13re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:59pm

Why would the actors mind a person stage dooring because he/she is older (which is a relative term anyway)? I think if you WANT to stage door, you shouldn't really care what others think - you should just do it and enjoy the experience. I'm 19 and I have no qualms about stage dooring when I've been impressed by a performer.

Mother's Younger Brother
#14re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:59pm

Wow, Lizzie. That was harsh...even for you. re: At what age is it too old to stage door?

LizzieCurry
#15re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:01pm

I think if you WANT to stage door, you shouldn't really care what others think - you should just do it and enjoy the experience.

Yes, you should care what others think. I dread people showing up asking actors to sign their cleavage proclaiming, "I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK! I AM ENJOYING MYSELF!!!"

I'm sure that happens already, though...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#16re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:01pm

I find that there are two kinds of people who stage door:

The first kind are people of any age who appreciate the talents of the actors and would like them to sign their Playbills out of respect and having a piece of history; possibly also a picture.

The second kind are kids, generally under 20, who think that by wearing pink they will become Laura Bell Bundy's BFF; or that by telling Jonathan Groff that they love him, they will become engaged.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#17re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:08pm

See, sometimes I feel a little creepy stage-dooring, which is why I only do it on occasion. But Capn's post makes me feel just that little bit better about myself. Here's to being the first kind of person! ^_^

ThankstoPhantom
#18re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:08pm

Capn Hook...that is spot on.

The first category has a sub category of people just wishing to shake hands...basically the same thing.

You usually find that second kind at Spring Awakening, Rent, and Wicked...not everybody, but that's the general buzz around them, I'd say.

PS: Also, it depends on the show...I'd feel awkward at the stage door of say "A Year with Frog and Toad" as I only go to stage doors if I was inspired or moved by an actor. I wouldn't see that happening at a show like Toad or Chitty, and I'd feel creepy being there. But that's my standpoint...so it also depends on why YOU go.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 6/28/07 at 07:08 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#19re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:09pm

I think the only time I think it's awkward to stage door with age being a factor is if the performer you're trying to meet is around the same age as you. For example, I would feel kind of uncomfortable to stage door at Spring Awakening...but that's just me.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Fiyero13
#20re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:10pm

Me too, this thread has made me feel alot better, especially since often times i'm the only adult amongst kids stage dooring

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#21re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:26pm

I'm in Capn's first category. I definitely don't do it just to do it.

(And I'm almost 36, though I pass for at least 10 years younger ~ according to everyone I meet if age comes up.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

#22re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:27pm

This old lady pays full price for her tickets...no student rush for me...so I expect as nice a reception at the stage door as you crazy kids get.

LizzieCurry
#23re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:29pm

Do we have to get into that "you're not paying for the stage door experience" thing again, or am I gonna have to choke a...?

littlelotte64 Profile Photo
littlelotte64
#24re: At what age is it too old to stage door?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:33pm

I say as long as you are polite and not acting like a crazy stalker, any age is perfectly acceptable to stage door. When I go to stage door by Jersey Boys you can see the difference between the two. If your 40+ years and screaming your hot to the cast members faces odds are you shouldn't stage door, or if your elderly and pushing everyone else into walls and the barricade violently you also shouldn't stage door. I've seen these things happen and was completely astonished. So as long as you are a normal person, age shouldn't be a factor.

Videos