Inexpensive Hotels in NYC

smartguy123456
#1Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:04pm

Hi,
I was wanting to plan a trip to NYC to see some shows, visit some sites, etc. but I wanted to find an inexpensive hotel in the city or right outside of the city. I have heard of people staying at the YMCA and places like that but how many people can stay in a room, etc and how safe are they? Every time I have been to NYC I have spent way too much money on hotels and would like to try and save a little so I could afford to see some more shows. Any help you could give me would be great. Thanks in advance.

Gothampc
#2re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:08pm

How much do you consider "inexpensive"?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

siny
#2re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:11pm

I posted this hotel several times but nobody seems to be interested re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC But I had my friends stay there and it's a great hotel for the money (and you don't even have to share a bathroom).

https://www.riversidetowerhotel.com/

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#3re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:13pm

I stay in a hostel every time I go to NYC on my own (hotels when I'm with someone) The hostel is cheap, and right in the theater district. My pick for an inexpensive hotel would be the Milford Plaza, and is also right in the theater district.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#4re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:17pm

The Carter Hotel on West 43rd Street for a little more than $100 per night. It's a "bare bones" hotel, but it does have private bathrooms. Use CarterHotel.com

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#5re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:30pm

I stayed in the Carter. Worst hotel ever.

The smell alone was sickening. A guy in the next room checked in and found his bed made up with dirty sheets. Rodent glue traps every where. Six knobs on the shower and none worked.

I'd only recommend the place to someone I despised.

Andergoat Profile Photo
Andergoat
#6re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:46pm

If you don't mind your room being teeny tiny, try The Pod Hotel. It's clean and the accomodations are nice, but the rooms are the size of a train car. Most of the singles are shared bathrooms, but the doubles have private bathrooms. The singles are around $89-$129 a night.

The Pod Hotel

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#7re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:11pm

Hmmm, the Pod actually looks like one I'd be interested in. I don't think I'll have to stay overnight any time soon, but I'm bookmarking that.

Gothampc
#8re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:16pm

siny, I stayed at the Riverside when I first moved to NYC years ago. Great neighborhood. Back then, they let you stay for awhile while looking for apartments. It used to be a Columbia dorm.

Ander, years ago I stayed at the Pod back when it was the Pickwick Arms. It was one of the few reliable, cheap hotels. (It wasn't stylish back then, just bare bones). Many European tourists stayed there. Someone told me a few years later that it was known to be a place where hookers took trade, but I never experienced that. LOL

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 04:16 PM

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#9re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:24pm

The Milford Plaza is fantastic!!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#10re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:25pm

Econo Lodge Times Square

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

Broadwayfanatic2 Profile Photo
Broadwayfanatic2
#11re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:31pm

I posted this on another thread :

If you don't mind location and want to keep the price down I suggest second home on second avenue in East Village (It's a guest house). I have never stayed there but considering the price and the trip advisor reviews it's worth a visit.

If not I suggest trying the Holland Motor Lodge which is in Jersey City, NJ if you really don't mind the location. It's located close to a Path station (10 min walk max) which can bring you to either Ground Zero or the Empire State Building. Again it's not a hostel and I haven't stayed there but it's a cheap hotel (money wise, not quality wise).

Check reviews at Tripadvisor.com and visit the hotel's/guest house's websites :

http://secondhomesecondavenue.com

http://www.hollandmotorlodge.com

That being said I think you should search a little...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#12re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:54pm

If you are booking arifare with hotel, I recommend going through Orbitz. I got 4 nights at the Paramount and airfare to NYC-LGA for 600 even, including all fees and surcharges. You cant beat that. Thats about 110 a night for a room in the heart of the theatre district. The Milford Plaza was considerably more on orbitz.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

gymdudeva
#13re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:17pm

If you are gay, try the Colonial House Inn in Chelsea. It's in a big old house on a quiet street. Basic rooms with shared bath are about $100. It's pretty quiet, not at all rowdy or cruisy like you'd think. Oh, you get breakfast too. The cheap rooms are really small....but still probably bigger than that Pod place hahhahaha. (Chelelsea Pines Inn is similar but a litte more expensive.)
Colonial House Inn

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#14re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:24pm

The Carlton Arms is cheap and interesting. Not very close to the theater district, but I have stayed there. It has been awhile it was $22/night with a shared bathroom when I stayed there.

http://www.carltonarms.com/

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#15re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:34pm

The Chelsea Star Hotel. Fun, quirky, and pretty cheep.

site

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#16re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:35pm

I'm staying at The POD june 8 weekend, so I will post a review. To be honest, who needs a big room when in NY for theater. As long as it is clean and in a safe locale, I'm happy.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#17re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:40pm

Ooh, Riverside Tower looks like a potential hit for us as I've been looking for inexpensive UWS accommodations. Can anyone second the recommendation or give more details?

siny
#18re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:30pm

PM me with your email and I'll send you Photobucket pics and video taken inside the place (including the rooms). I took them for my friends and still have them.

lindas13
#19re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 7:24pm

On 57th between 9th and 10th is a good hotel. lots of room and nice view/not that pricy...considering it is NYC, go to the OLYMPIC FLAME and eat just a few blocks away.very good.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#20re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 7:32pm

I've stayed at the Belvedere Hotel twice. Very clean and close to all Broadway theatres.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#21re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 7:56pm

I'm a Milford Plaza fan myself. I've stayed at the Paramount. Biggest highlight is the Dean and Deluca and pizza place right next door! Paramount was perfectly fine- however, the beds are basically on the ground. Once you are tired from walking the city, it does the job.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#22re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:35pm

The Portland Square on 47th and 6th is really great. Prices vary but it's very clean (never paid more than $149 a night) and the location can't be beat. You do share a bathroom, but it's not bad at all. (Never had a problem getting a shower-clean, too.)

The staff is very nice, too.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

altoid06 Profile Photo
altoid06
#23re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:44pm

I don't know if you are AAA members, but we recently booked The Skyline Hotel for $669 for three nights in June (and that includes all the taxes)... It's on 10th and 51st and a pretty nice hotel. We stayed there last year too, and the rooms were pretty big by NYC standards. Another big advantage is parking if you are driving in to the city. It's ten bucks( I believe), on site. I don't know how much you think is expensive and what kind of lodging you want. The Skyline is listed as a 3 star, which is really great for the location and price.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

Marianne Profile Photo
Marianne
#24re: Inexpensive Hotels in NYC
Posted: 5/8/07 at 9:24pm

I've never stayed there, but there's a Ramada Inn in Jersey City that's one block from the Journal Square PATH station, under $100 a night, with free high-speed internet. User reviews say it's pretty bare-bones and the neighborhood is sketchy, but that the hotel itself is fine especially for the price. www.the.ramada.com/jerseycity14233

In general, if you're looking for a hotel that's not in the city proper, follow the PATH stations. At $3 round-trip, it's the cheapest and easiest way in and out of the city from New Jersey. Updated On: 5/8/07 at 09:24 PM

Videos