News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for dfwtheatreguy

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
Member Name: dfwtheatreguy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://old-bean.blogspot.com
Blog Address: http://old-bean-reviews.blogspot.com/

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Randy Newman's Faust  Mar 19 2009, 12:44:29 AM
did anyone catch this at la jolla way back in 93? or at the goodman in chicago?

i found my cd under a dresser tonight and have been playing it while cleaning - james taylor as god is an inspired choice, randy newman as the devil, not so much.

the cd is great. how did it translate on stage?

re: Brilliant Possible Casting  Mar 18 2009, 09:33:47 PM
How about Ellen Greene as Desiree in Little Night Music???
re: Crazy Concepts of Classic Shows  Mar 18 2009, 05:01:21 PM
i have always wanted to do a cross-gendered "Pirates of Penzance" with the Pirates played by women, the Daughters by men, and the Police as an androgynous mix - and of course the main characters Ruth, Pirate King, Mabel, Frederick, and General Stanley would be cross-gendered as well.

i know this may prove challenging with some of the music, but hopefully a skilled music director could work some magic.

re: Songs That Make You Cry No Matter How Many Times You Listen to them....  Mar 18 2009, 04:49:36 PM
Losing My Mind - Follies

re: What did Disney do with the Broadway sets of Beauty and the Beast after it closed?  Mar 17 2009, 06:02:39 PM
they burned them in a huge bonfire in the center of Times Square, Mickey threw the match
re: Bye Bye Birdie- offical opening September 11, 2009  Mar 16 2009, 03:31:34 PM
hold up - is that really the official opening date? seems kind of tacky to set that date as an opening.
re: Lesser Known Musicals You Would Like To See On Broadway  Mar 15 2009, 09:29:38 PM
Peggy Sue Got Married
re: can we please have a revival of 'On the Twentieth Century'?  Mar 15 2009, 01:32:34 PM
it's too bad that Ms. Kahn is no longer with us, she would be a superb Letitia if they revived it currently.

i'm rethinking chenoweth as lily, who else, who else?

Kander & Ebb's "The Visit"  Mar 14 2009, 07:25:58 PM
What is the likelyhood that this will ever make to Broadway and also that we could get a cast recording out of it?

Secondly, in the recent DC production - what was the significance of everyone in yellow shoes? What was it supposed to symbolize?

re: if there's a 'Thriller' musical....  Mar 14 2009, 05:51:43 PM
think about it

we've had:

an Elvis jukebox (All Shook Up)
a Bob Dylan jukebox
a Billy Joel jukebox (Movin Out)
a Michael Jackson jukebox (Thriller)

the next logic step in the equation would be either a Madonna or an Elton John jukebox show.

re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast  Mar 14 2009, 02:49:50 PM
brodyfosse - love it!
if there's a "Thriller" musical....  Mar 14 2009, 02:39:42 PM
does that mean that we could expect a Madonna jukebox musical one day not too far away?
re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast  Mar 14 2009, 02:37:48 PM
how about, and this is a crazy idea - the original cast in the movie?
re: can we please have a revival of 'On the Twentieth Century'?  Mar 14 2009, 02:35:06 PM
the "Veronique" and "Repent" sequences are probably my favorite of any musical ever

re: Guess the Paper Mill's new season  Mar 13 2009, 04:13:41 PM
i was right about "on the town" and i think everyone got "little house" and "peter pan".

"lost in yonkers", enh?

"smokey joes", double enh?

re: can we please have a revival of 'On the Twentieth Century'?  Mar 12 2009, 09:15:49 PM
i dont like douglas sills as oscar or marin as lily, but the rest of that cast sounds fun.

sills is one of the most boring presences on stage tht i have ever seen, and mazzie is a touch too old for lily in my mind.

re: Crazy Concepts of Classic Shows  Mar 12 2009, 07:35:10 PM
not a "crazy" concept - but i worked at a small theater years ago and the director put a great, definite concept onto the musical revue "And the World Goes Round".

he placed the show in a bar after hours in the late 70s. each actor was a stereotype/character:
- young sailor on leave
- sexy black bar back (sang the sexiest version of "Sara Lee" I have ever heard)
- sultry torch singer (began the show with "World Goes Round")
- older woman who owned the bar (sang "Class"

re: Crazy Concepts of Classic Shows  Mar 12 2009, 07:19:35 PM
i dont know if it counts as a crazy concept - but the Magritte inspired "Into the Woods" in black, grey, and red at Stratford looked really cool - i think their witch was made of vegetables.

can we please have a revival of "On the Twentieth Century"?  Mar 12 2009, 05:58:54 PM
great score, good book, funny show - come on, bring it back.

but who would star?????

lily garland: kristin chenoweth
oscar jaffe: nathan lane
bruce granitt: cheyenne jackson
letitia primrose: bernadette peters, mary testa
max jacobs: gregory jbara

Patrick Stewart as Othello  Mar 12 2009, 04:33:27 PM
i was looking at the Shakespeare Theatre of DC's webpage and it seems that during their 97-98 season they did a production of "Othello" with Patrick Stewart in the lead.

i did a double take but then had to look at the production photos.

it's a "photo negative" production with othello as the only white man in all black cast. it looks like it is set in a modern african setting.

this is fascinating to me, it seems wrong, but i am sure that with patrick stewart at the hel

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You