Kander & Ebb's "The Visit"

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#1Kander & Ebb's "The Visit"
Posted: 3/14/09 at 7:25pm

What is the likelyhood that this will ever make to Broadway and also that we could get a cast recording out of it?

Secondly, in the recent DC production - what was the significance of everyone in yellow shoes? What was it supposed to symbolize?

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/14/09 at 7:31pm

The yellow shoes represented the townspeople's desire for material possessions.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/14/09 at 7:52pm

If we don't get a full out Broadway production (Chita would be a must!) I hope we can eventually get a recording of the show with Chita and George Hearn. The Visit has one of the most haunting and achingly beautiful scores that I have ever heard. Why no label has jumped on this by now I'll never understand.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/14/09 at 7:59pm

The chances of THE VISIT coming to Broadway in this theatrical and economic climate is slim. I think this musical (by two of the most successful songwriters in musical history starring a bona fide Broadway legend) is generally considered too "dark" and "edgy" for Broadway (even though the play its based on first played on Broadway 50 some-odd years ago). What this says about the theatrical situation is....sad.

Its a pity because if it opened tomorrow it could actually do good, if not necessarily stellar, business. For serious grown-up musical lovers who aren't interested in seeing a corporatized musical, it would be the only game in town.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/14/09 at 8:14pm

I would buy a ticket.

I would buy the CD.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

esparza 333
#5re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/14/09 at 9:33pm

You know I want this to come to broadway just because there are not many Kander and Ebb projects left to put on stage and every show we get is a treasure. I hope this comes especially like morosco and borstalboy said it is one of Kander and Ebbs most dark, edgy and haunting scores. You would think producers would leap at the idea of having a Kander and Ebb Musical with broadway legends Chita Rivera and George Hearn but I guess in this recession they are playing safe and sticking to Movie adaptations. I just hope it makes it to broadway sometime.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Dollypop
#6re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/14/09 at 11:38pm

There's talk of a London production.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#7re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 6:43am

Crikey!

Bring it on!

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#8re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 9:30am

It would be VERY welcome in London!

homeimp
#9re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 12:38pm

Hey, I want to see The Vist on Bdwy and I want to see those corpooratized musicals as well. The best of all possible worlds!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#10re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 2:07pm

I hope it comes to Broadway.

Dollypop
#11re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 3:59pm

The feeling is that the London production would lead to a Broadway mounting.

esparza 333
#12re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 4:41pm

Wow Dolly that is great news. It really would be a treasure to bring such a stunning, haunting and thrilling musical by such legends to the Great White Way.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

philcrosby
#13re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 5:16pm

The production at the Signature outside of DC was astounding. Chita and the rest of the cast were spot on, and the score marvelous.

It's a very dark piece, but no more than ASSASSINS or SWEENEY. Though I agree if it played NYC, it would be safest done at a nonprofit theater.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 5:40pm

I wonder who is actually talking about a London production. Besides us, I mean. It could be totally true, but given the source, it hardly inspires confidence.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#15re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 5:58pm

esparza, THE VISIT was also a play and a movie starring Ingtid Bergman.

Get it on Broadway now!

Dollypop
#16re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 6:05pm

Mister Matt, it isn't April Fool's Day...yet.

Timmer
#17re: Kander & Ebb's 'The Visit'
Posted: 3/15/09 at 6:19pm

Did you see the procudtion number "Yellow Shoes"? Remember, they couldn't afford the yellow shoes (which are apparently some sort ofstatus symbol in that town), but her offer to save teh town provides the possibility that they will finally be able to afford things like that.

Videos