Randy Newman's Faust

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#1Randy Newman's Faust
Posted: 3/19/09 at 12:44am

did anyone catch this at la jolla way back in 93? or at the goodman in chicago?

i found my cd under a dresser tonight and have been playing it while cleaning - james taylor as god is an inspired choice, randy newman as the devil, not so much.

the cd is great. how did it translate on stage?

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#2re: Randy Newman's Faust
Posted: 3/19/09 at 1:01am

One of my favorite musical theatre scores. Ever. It's a shame that one review in the New York times could decide the fate of this show (at least, from what I've heard from several sources). I wish I could see it; I would at least love to get the chance to read Mamet's book for the show.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#2re: Randy Newman's Faust
Posted: 3/19/09 at 8:01am

It would be better at filling space in the Palace than the misguided pile of mush there now. But then what wouldn't?

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Jon
#3re: Randy Newman's Faust
Posted: 3/19/09 at 10:45am

I saw it in Chicago. The score was generic Randy Newman (The Devil's big number, "You Can't Keep a Good Man Down" sounded exactly like "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story, or a dozen other Newman tunes). The book was weak, and Michael Grief's direction was awful. The set design was horrendous.

The cast was mixed - Ken Page as God and David Garrison as the Devil were fine, and Sherie Scott stole the show as Margaret's friend, who seduces the devil. Kurt Deutsch (Sherie's hubby) was mediocre as Faust, a very unlikeable character, and the girl playing Margaret was incredibly dull and unmemorable.
Updated On: 3/19/09 at 10:45 AM

tgrabon2 Profile Photo
tgrabon2
#4re: Randy Newman's Faust
Posted: 3/19/09 at 1:10pm

I also saw it in Chicago and agree with Jon. It was a huge disappointment.

timmmmmmmmy