News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Maile

Maile Profile Photo
Member Name: Maile
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Shows you just don't 'get'
 Jan 31 2007, 05:32:29 PM
Ok, not everyone has the same tastes. But some of the shows listed are just meant to be fun fluff (Spelling Bee, Producers, etc.) Not everything has to be deep and meaningful.

With that said, I vote for RENT.

Music aside, I'm supposed to feel sorry for a bunch of unemployed degenerates who have to pay rent like the rest of us?

WTF?!

re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
 Jan 24 2007, 02:20:59 PM
"Whenever I see someone dressed up at the theater- I assume they are tourists- and usually I'm right."

Hardly! I dress up for regional theatre in my hometown too. Going to the theatre is like going to church for me...except I don't like church and haven't been in years.

re: GOOD Review for COMPANY from a lil dog--Some SPOILERS
 Nov 20 2006, 09:21:56 AM
Lil dog,

Thanks for the great review. I'm seeing it in Jan when I visit next. I heard a lot of great reviews and some not so great reviews. I have the original cast recording which just has songs, no in-between dialog, so it's difficult to understand what's going on between the songs.

I'm going because a) I want to know more, b) it's Sondheim and c) it's a night at the theatre, which is always a good thing :)

re: You know you're a B'way geek when...
 Nov 15 2006, 01:54:09 PM
When you know what a tombola is.

re: 'The Phantom'?
 Oct 24 2006, 05:21:59 PM
God, I thought Phantom was just terrible. The songs were so bad and so corny I couldn't even listen to them.

I remember seeing a local company do it and in big bold letters on the flyer was, "This is NOT the Andrew Lloyd Webber Hit."

Pretty sad when that's your tagline.

re: Flops that deserve one more day in the sun
 Oct 24 2006, 05:17:02 PM
Chess!
re: Patti/OZ
 Oct 24 2006, 05:05:37 PM
The show is fantastic, and there was a hysterical "musical episode." BD Wong is a regular character and since he's been on Broadway before, he was featured singing. (Great voice!)

Yes, Betty Buckley played one of the inmate's mothers.

One of the producers/directors is Tom Fontana, who is Patti Lupone's cousin.

Another HBO related note: Patti Lupone's brother Robert (?) is Tony Soprano's neighbor (Dr. Cusamano--spelling??)

re: one performer on multiple OCRs
 Oct 20 2006, 03:31:39 PM
Colm Wilkinson - Les Mis, Toronto Phantom, Concept Jekyll & Hyde, Studio Evita.

Mark Jacoby - Man of La Mancha revival, Showboat, Sweeney Revival.

Bernadette Peters - Annie Get Your Gun, Into the Woods.

Michael Cerveris - Sweeney, Tommy, Assassins.

Patti Lupone - Evita, Sweeney, Sunset Blvd.

Michael Ball - London Passion concert, Aspects of Love

Elaine Page - Cats, London Chess

Murray Head (does he count?!) - JC Superstar, London Che

re: Bway-Themed Halloween Costumes?
 Oct 20 2006, 03:18:59 PM
I suggested to my husband he go as Luther from South Pacific - dressed as a woman (the USO number). I think it would be pretty easy to do, people might recognize it. Great for a couple too. The woman can go in the sailor outfit.

Of course, he shot the idea down.

re: Hilarious Comments Overheard By Tourists and Audience Members
 Sep 28 2006, 02:14:08 PM
lildogs,

Thanks for replying too. Wow. So there's some truth to that. Darn. I was so looking forward to pointing out that he was wrong.

I would think Cats would be even MORE lost on people who aren't fluent in English (true, nothing of substance really happens, there's no plot per se, but would they be able to figure out what the hell is happening with the cat on the tire at the end?)

Edit: In the end, I guess it doesn't matter if they understand it or not. If they

Sep 28 2006, 02:10:07 PM
Pippin,

My God, my friend might be right?! Seriously, he just makes stuff up on the fly. I wish I could remember all the other broadway "tidbits" he's shared over the years. Some were just priceless. He once tried to convince me South Park is actually made in Japan. He seems to have a fascination with Asians.

Interesting points. Thanks for sharing!

Sep 28 2006, 01:59:38 PM
"The answer is an obvious "no." "

I must be stupid, then. Granted, I've heard other ridiculous things that turned out to be true (Ashley Simpson in Chicago).

Now someone will post to tell me I'm off-topic.

Sep 28 2006, 01:27:01 PM
I have no doubt that tour groups make up a good percentage of sales, but what my friend is getting at is, CATS ran *solely* on Japanese tourists, specifically. It was the most ridiculous thing I'd heard and I'd like to know if there's any truth to it.
 Sep 28 2006, 01:13:27 PM
An acquaintance has matter-of-factly informed me the reason Cats played as long as it did on Bway was because organized tourist groups from Japan would book the show as that trip's theatrical experience. Meaning, they just didn't understand what they were seeing.

I had to laugh.

This friend is known to just make things up. Can anyone verify this?

re: Julie Andrews to recieve Lifetime Achievement award.
 Sep 28 2006, 12:17:32 PM
Can't believe they took this long. She was a legend 20 years ago!
re: The Who- Broadway or Bust!
 Sep 20 2006, 11:18:07 AM
I would LOVE to see Tommy again on stage. It was one of the most incredible shows I've seen. It competes with the revival Sweeney for my favorite (depending on the day). The energy levels in that show were off the charts. I really think it took me a few days to come off that high.

I never did get to see it with Michael on Bway, rather, I saw it in Toronto with Tyley Ross who was AMAZING.

Ah, I can dream...hell, look at all the revivals...why not this one?

re: Next Ulla?
 Sep 13 2006, 09:37:47 AM
I always thought Kristen Johnson (Sally on 3rd Rock from the Sun) could play the part.

Don't know if she sings, though.

re: Biggest Disappointments
 Sep 13 2006, 09:14:44 AM
Hamlet, I gotta give you credit for sharing your opinion! I think I would be too scared to post something like that. (Besides, I LOVED the revival).

First, the Sweeney Revivial was the only production I've seen, so I don't have much to compare it to. I saw the DVD of the concert with Patti Lupone and George Hearn. The concert definitely had a much fuller sound because there was a very large chorus. There was also a pipe organ playing in the beginning (kinda like an overture). I don't kn

re: Biggest Disappointments
 Sep 13 2006, 08:53:35 AM
Hamlet,

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I do respect your opinion. But I recall reading somewhere that Sondheim's ORIGINAL vision was to have a smaller-scale Sweeney. It was Hal Prince's idea to do it full-scale. So perhaps in this case, your quote doesn't apply in regards to what Sondheim envisioned.

re: Sunday in the Park with George...
 Sep 12 2006, 04:30:46 PM
I read a synopsis online because I know nothing of the show other than it's Seurat. It jumped around a lot and I had a difficult time following it. I'm sure it's much clearer when seen (whether on stage or screen).

I love shows where you think, "how the hell are they going to make a musical about that?" and then go on to be totally amazed. Talented people can do incredible things. I can't wait to see it now.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You