"The Phantom"?

broadwayaddict2
#0"The Phantom"?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:07am

Hi...

Does anyone remember a musical called "The Phantom" by Maury Yeston? Did anyone go see the musical? How was it compared to Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera"? Were there any similarities?

I bought the CD and listened to the music and loved it! I was wondering if this musical is playing anywhere. I tried searching the internet and couldn't find it playing anywhere. If anyone has any information on this, I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks!

BDrischBDemented
#1re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:19am

Webber's "POTO" beat it to Broadway, as it was already established in London due to the fact that the novel is public domain there. Yeston had trouble securing the rights in America, and by the time he did and got it sorted out, "POTO" had made a transfer to Broadway. At that point, Yeston pretty much knew he'd be compared to Webber's work, and "Phantom" has sadly never played on Broadway, though it's done a fair amount by community theater groups.

Edit: Oh, just so you know, it's called just "Phantom". Just a minor thing.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 03:19 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 6:26am

If i am not mistakin Satah Brightman was in a production in London ( or was asked to be in one )

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#3re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 6:42am

I was in one of the very first regional productions of Phantom and it is a far superior show to Lloyd Webber's. The show is fun, interesting, dark where it should be, and has some great songs. There is only one flaw and that is the song sung by Phillipe - "Who Could Ever Have Dreamed Up You?" - it sounds like it was written by Jerry Herman and doesn't fit with the rest of the score. Otherwise, it is a ver interesting take on the story, and it is too bad it didn't make it to Broadway before that other piece of drek that's currently (still) running.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 8:10am

I love this version re: 'The Phantom'? It's very special and deserves to be on Broadway someday. The movie version with Charles Dance and Teri Polo is vert good, too.

Not as visually stunning as ALWs (but then what musical is?)- but the story is more emotional and the music is just as good.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Fosse76
#5re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:19am

"Webber's "POTO" beat it to Broadway, as it was already established in London due to the fact that the novel is public domain there. Yeston had trouble securing the rights in America"

How can that be true? Under U.S. Copyright Law at the time, works entered the public domain 50 years after the author's death (it has since been extended). If Leroux died in 1927, then the work would have entered the public domain in 1977. Did I miss something?

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#6re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:29am

I believe that Sarah Brightman was asked to be in a completely different Phantom of the Opera by Ken Hill, which is how Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh went to see it at the Theatre Royal Stratford East and got the idea to do their own version.
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 11:29 AM

broadwayaddict2
#7re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:31am

Wow! Which role did you play?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:41am

I know this show played the Papermill Playhouse in NJ quite a few years ago. I wasn't able to catch, but everyone I know loved it and preferred it over the POTO.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#9re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:47am

I saw one of the earlier mountings in Houston with Richard White and Glory Crampton and Jack Dabdoub (all of whom are on the cast recording). Some of the music is quite lovely, although sometimes it gets annoyingly repetetive (the Phantom Fugue, and the incessant music lessons). Some of the book scenes aren't so great, but I find the characters to be much better developed in this version than in ALW's version.
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 11:47 AM

Fosse76
#10re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:56am

"I believe that Sarah Brightman was asked to be in a completely different Phantom of the Opera by Ken Hill, which is how Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh went to see it at the Theatre Royal Stratford East and got the idea to do their own version."

Also, I believe they were originally going to try and produce Ken Hill's version too.

tourboi
#11re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:44pm

I am totally the descenting opinion here...but IMHO PHANTOM is a tragic mess of a musical.

The musical style is largely musical comedy (while Carlotta's "This Place Is Mine!" is funny, its not appropriate for the story). What was a chillingly gothic romantic thriller of a novel (love the book), has become a cheesy musical comedy. And the lyrics get pretty bad...DIRECT quote:

"The operas been invaded by a Phantom! The operas been invaded by a Phantom! (Phantom!) The opera's been invaded by a ghoooost! By a ghost! By a ghost! If you follow him you're following a Phantom...He wears a mask! A mask! A terrifying mask! He wears a mask! A terrifying mask!"

Please!

Lloyd Webber's score, IMHO is much more lush, and romantic, and appropriate to the subject matter.

The saving grace in Yeston and Kopit's mess (which, btw, strays in its root plot lines dramatically from the original novel...the opera manager is Erik's dad? What? Star Wars, anyone?) is the song "You Are Music" which is lovely.

The rest? Pass.

I've sadly seen it twice in two different productions (including the tour which duplicated the Papermill/TUTS run) and was sadly dissapointed each time.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#12re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:52pm

"The operas been invaded by a Phantom! The operas been invaded by a Phantom! (Phantom!) The opera's been invaded by a ghoooost! By a ghost! By a ghost! If you follow him you're following a Phantom...He wears a mask! A mask! A terrifying mask! He wears a mask! A terrifying mask!"

That would be the aforementioned fugue. The line readings in that song on the recording are jaw-droppingly awful, too. (and this is a paraphrase)

Manager guy (I can't remember his name): My poor Carlotta! Can I get you a drink?
Carlotta: Yes. Something laced with hemlock. (she screams)
Manager guy: J-j-j-oseph Buquet!
Carlotta: He was my costume man.
Manager guy: We sent him down below.
Inspector: Well, someone has sent him back up!

Ouch.

tourboi
#13re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:54pm

My personal fave...although I dont know if its on the CD...

The Star Wars moment:

"Erik...you are my son. Did you know you're my son? You became my whole life when your life had begun...and I promise, I'll never allow you to be on display!"

I swear. I cringed.

BDrischBDemented
#14re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:55pm

I'm not 100% sure, that's what I've heard. Is there a possibility that somebody in the U.S. had the right to the novel, but not in the U.K.?

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

EganFan2
#15re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:56pm

Yeah, some of the lines and lyrics are pretty cheezy. Nice take on the story, though.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#16re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:58pm

tourboi, that is indeed on the CD. And they threw in another groaner in that song:

Erik: What did you think of it when you first saw it? My face?
Dad: It could have been better.
Erik: Not a good face for a tenor, I remember thinking.
Dad: Not even for a baritone.

tourboi
#17re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:59pm

HAH! Yes. I must get the CD for a good laugh.

Who can forget..."From every leading role, to every toillet bowl!"

jynni
#18re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 4:21pm

Throw me in with the dissenters that think this version is awful. Funny enough, it was through this version that I was introduced to the "Phantom of the Opera". I remember being very intrigued with the idea of the Phantom - a disfigured musical genious that lived beneath the Paris Opera.

It was probably about a year later that my dad played a tape of ALW's version. I was hooked from the first chords of the Overture.

On a side note, I saw Glory Crampton as Maria in West Side Story about five or so years ago. I remember I was initially excited because I recognized her as being the Christine from the Yeston/Kopit "Phantom". Turned out she was horrible - bad acting and her singing sounded like a warbly sixty year woman.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#19re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 4:22pm

Laura Benanti does an amazing version of "Home" on the Maury Yeston Songbook.

Maile Profile Photo
Maile
#20re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 5:21pm

God, I thought Phantom was just terrible. The songs were so bad and so corny I couldn't even listen to them.

I remember seeing a local company do it and in big bold letters on the flyer was, "This is NOT the Andrew Lloyd Webber Hit."

Pretty sad when that's your tagline.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#21re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 7:11pm

Kristen Chenoweth was in the New England premiere of "Phantom" at North Shore way back in the early 90's.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#22re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 7:12pm

"Webber's "POTO" beat it to Broadway, as it was already established in London due to the fact that the novel is public domain there. Yeston had trouble securing the rights in America"

How can that be true? Under U.S. Copyright Law at the time, works entered the public domain 50 years after the author's death (it has since been extended). If Leroux died in 1927, then the work would have entered the public domain in 1977. Did I miss something?

I think the problem with "securing the rights" was more about the fact that Cameron Mackintosh and the Really Useful Group put some restrictions on where the Yeston/Kopit show could play in proximity to the ALW show (also explains that sad tagline Maile quoted above--all about avoiding legal trouble). Certainly not the kindest move by Cam Mack and RUG, though kindness is not exactly what they're known for.

That said, I have not been impressed with what I've seen and heard of the Y/K version and I think the ALW score (and even the somewhat mediocre book) serve the story much, much better. People forget that the original novel is not one of the great masterpieces of French literature--it's just a very good mystery/romance--so it's not a tragedy that ALW's version doesn't do much with most of the characters. I'd rather see an adaptation like ALW's, where the characters aren't fully drawn out and the book stays more or less true to the original, than an adaptation that creates fuller characters at the cost of groan-inducing deviations from Leroux. Granted, I suppose I'd have to see a full-scale production of the Y/K version to truly judge, but as someone who has both seen the ALW version and read the novel numerous times, I can safely say that ALW (and Charles Hart, and Hal Prince, and Maria Bjornson) captures the novel's soaring gothic melodrama perfectly.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#23re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 7:27pm

I saw a production of it at the Springer Opera House here a few years back. While I can't remember much about the show overall, I remember HATING the first act. Enough so, that I was considering sneaking out at intermission.

Unfortunately for my plan I ran into the Assistant Artistic Director, whom I believe was directing it, before I could sneak out a side door and he asked me what I thought. I tried to stay politely non-comittal but he saw right through that. He then asked me to stay through the second act and see what I thought after that.

He was right. While I don't remember enough about the production to comment specifically about the music and book, I distinctly remember being breathtaken by the second act.

I wish the two acts were closer in quality, but the strength of the second act alone made it overall a wonderful night. I'd see it again.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#24re: 'The Phantom'?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 7:46pm

Home is a gorgeous song.

Videos