pixeltracker

Dressing up to go to the theatre?

Dressing up to go to the theatre?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 9:41am

What are your views on dressing up for the theatre. Do you think there should be a dress code?

personally I don't dress up for the theatre. If i am wearing a t shirt and jeasn that would be what I am going to the theatre in. I feel this way cus I live right outside NYC and go to a broadway show too often to consider it an event.

What do you all think?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#2re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 9:46am

We dont need a dress code. But, based on my own experience, it'd be nice if we had standards for audience hygeine.

http://docandraider.com

Mythus
#2re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:13am

Personally, I would never wear jeans to a Broadway show. I've been known to wear dark, fancy jeans to regional theatre shows, but at least they're not my dirty, distressed blue jeans.

So yes, I do dress nicely when I'm going to see a show on Broadway.

ashley0139
#3re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:18am

I say always dress up, at least somewhat. That's not to say wear a dress or suit, but something to look like you actually thought about it would be nice. The only time I have ever worn jeans to a Broadway show was when I was going to be in the city all day, but I still wore my nice dark jeans and heels and a nice shirt. But I still always try to wear black pants and a nice shirt. It's just proper etiquette, I think. But there have been loads of threads on this in the past.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#4re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:27am

As long as people keep their odors to themselves (body odors, colognes, perfumes, cigarette) I don't care how they dress. Me personally...I dress comfortably and refrain from emitting any odors at all.
Updated On: 1/22/07 at 10:27 AM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#5re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:29am

If it's a planned thing I almost always at least look nice. Maybe that includes jeans, but then I wear heels and a nice top/makeup etc....

if it's a spur of the moment thing, or if I'm in downtown Chicago ALL day and plan on trying the lottery I'm gonna be more comfortable than dressy....

Just please don't go looking like a bum...it disgusts me. $100 a ticket sometimes and people show up looking like they mortgaged their house to be there.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

biggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
#6re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:45am

To me, getting dressed up makes the theatre more exciting and more of an "event"

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#7re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:51am

Sometimes I'm spontaneous and suddenly decide to go to San Francisco at the last minute to see a show, so I wear what I'm in if I’m not coming from home. When a show is in town that I know I may want to see spontaneously, I just make sure never to wear something too crummy. I would say causal clothes are fine as long as it’s not beachwear (like those flip-flops some people love to wear so much) or something that’s worn out.

I don’t think you have to wear heels if you do dress up. Nice shoes are fine. I have very flat feet, so I’m not big on heels.

Updated On: 1/22/07 at 10:51 AM

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#8re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:52am

Personally, I try to wear a skirt or something, but I have been in jeans if I forgot to pack anything else...

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#9re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:54am

I always wear a T shirt and jeans. Not just in terms of going to the theatre but in general. Also, I wouldn't say thbat me going to the theatre is spur of the moment. I always plan at least the night before that I am gonna get on the LIRR into the city and go see a show. However, I know that one person said that they would only not dress up if it was spur of the moment. I have wondered about this for me personally in the past. I think that it's I A go to the theatre so often it no longer regesters as as an event. And B it's because I can easilly care less bout what I look like. That's not to say I don't care if I look dishiveled sp? But, I keep my hair neet ( most of the time its nautrally that way) and just throw on clothes on and head into the city.

Kepp in mind, that many is the time that I have heard a person at one of the broadway theatre ticket desks at a hotel tell a tourists that they can go into the theatre generally in whatever they are wearing.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#10re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 10:58am

My theatre teacher always told us that we should never wear jeans to a show, especially a Broadway one. So I usually wear a nice dress shirt and dress pants. Most of the time, I'll wear black, because it's a nice neutral color.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#11re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:13am

I think you can tell how much someone respects theatre by how well they are dressed.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:20am

I just don't think that how you look at the theatre distracts the preformance in anyway. Also, I don't think that how you dress shows your appreation in anyway. I go to shows in just a t shirt and jeans. I don't understand the idea that the preformers appereatite sp? you more if you come dressed up. I mean they are not gonna see you from onstage so why should it matter what you wear?

rainbow_carnage
#13re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:42am

"I think you can tell how much someone respects theatre by how well they are dressed."

I am sorry, but that's just idiotic. I go to the theatre once or twice a week. I wear jeans most of the time. For me, seeing a play is no more of a special event than going to the cinema or out to dinner. And that's how it should be.

Theatre survives because of the people who see shows on a regular basis, not those who come into the city once or twice a year to see the latest hit musical. It is usually the latter group that dresses up because for them it is an occasion.

If you want to dress up, that's fine, but please don't judge me and my level of respect based on how I'm dressed. Better yet, save the money that you were going to spend on that special outfit and use it to see an extra show. Believe me, the actors on state would appreciate that a hundred times more than that you're wearing a dress and heels.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:48am

Why conform to someone else's standard of "proper dress"?

Screw dress codes. How about not eating, talking during the performance, and having your cell phones going off? You can be wearing a suit while any of these things are happening, and nobody's going to give a damn. They're just going to want to be able to enjoy the performance in peace.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/22/07 at 11:48 AM

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#15re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 11:49am

I think you can tell how much someone respects theatre by how well they are dressed.

Oh please. I've sat by plenty of well-dressed people who talked during the show, ate, or both. A well-dressed man was eating Skittles IN THE FRONT ROW one of the times I saw PIAZZA in San Francisco. Besides, if it’s a weeknight show, a lot of these people are coming from work, so they are dressed up anyway.

I think you can tell how much someone respects theatre by how well they are behaving.

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#16re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:07pm

I think people should at least attempt to look nice. When I saw Wicked over the summer a group of I'd say 12 year olds came in jeans and matching ty-dyed shirts (was that how you spell it?) Anyway, just at least look decent...no t-shirts with rips in your pants.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:12pm

I think people should at least attempt to look nice.

Who's to say you're definition of "nice" isn't the same as my definition of "nice"? That's pretty vague, and you're assuming that we all see "nice" the way that you do.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

rflpfl2
#18re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:22pm

Whenever I see someone dressed up at the theater- I assume they are tourists- and usually I'm right.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#19re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:24pm

I agree with Wanna Be A Foster one hundred percent. Are others really going to be affected that much by what you are wearing to a show? If they really have that much a problem with what you wear, there's something wrong.

I'd take a person in jeans and a sweatshirt over a loud Skittles-eating businessman beside me at the theatre any day.

MaronaDavies
#20re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:25pm

I think you can tell how much someone respects theatre by how well they are behaving.

I completely agree with this. You can wear a Hefty bag to the theatre for all I care...as long as you're silent during the show, you follow the theatre's rules and you don't disturb your fellow patrons or actors in any way, you're a top class theatregoer.

rainbow_carnage
#21re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:26pm

God knows I'm not a fan of anything tie-dyed, but Wicked is hardly serious theatre. It's a live-action version of a cartoon. It hardly matters what you wear, just please don't sing along.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see a show of hands of who thinks that people should dress up, along with where you're from, how often you go to the theatre and what shows you see.

I am willing to bet that it's mostly the people who see fewer than 5 Broadway shows a year, and that the shows include things like Wicked, Rent, Ave Q, Jersey Boys, etc.

Way to fit the stereotype, people. Give yourselves a round of applause.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#22re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:27pm

What I find ironic is that most of the time if you were to judge me based on how I dressed. I look your average teen who you would think would not be interested in a broadway show. I sometimes have people comment on how I look and that I am not dressed up. That doesn't bother me one bit. The irony is that I am not dressed "properlly" at all. And yet, I am one of the people in the audience who is telling people who are talking to shush and who doesn't eat, drink, have thier cell phones on ect during the show.

ashley0139
#23re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:51pm

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see a show of hands of who thinks that people should dress up, along with where you're from, how often you go to the theatre and what shows you see.

I am willing to bet that it's mostly the people who see fewer than 5 Broadway shows a year, and that the shows include things like Wicked, Rent, Ave Q, Jersey Boys, etc.

Well I'm the first to answer, and the first to not fit your stereotype. I see many shows every year, Broadway and Broadway Across America. I dress up as much as possible to all of them. Even if I come in from out of town, I always make sure to pack nice clothes to see shows. I prepare for my two outfits a day- one to walk around in, and one to see the show in.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

rainbow_carnage
#24re: Dressing up to go to the theatre?
Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:57pm

to Ashley: Ah, darling, but you do! You may see more than 5 shows a year, but a quick look at the list of faves on your profile clearly shows that you are exactly the sort of person I'm referring to: Les Mis, RENT, Tick Tick Boom, High Fidelity and Aida. The only thing that's missing is Wicked.

Any grown-up theatre?