pixeltracker

NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!

NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 2:25pm

I had what I consider the privilege of seeing NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons last night and can only say that it is without a doubt one of the most well written plays I have seen in years.

The play centers around the relationship between two men when one of them is hospitalized and is told in scenes at the hospital with family and friends and flashbacks detailing how the two met, up until his hospitalization. It questions religion in the gay community and how we deal it on both sides, those who are religious and those who are not. Especially now, after/during Prop. 8, stories like this are so timely and important and whats wonderful is when a play like this comes along that is so side-splittingly hilarious and at the same time heartbreaking that is accessible to everyone, without having the typical gay stereotypes we're all so used to.

The play is only running for around 4 weeks and I really do urge everyone to try to see it. It's rare to see a play that you hope while watching it will never end. This was one of those for me.

margot serena pilar
Jordan Catalano
#2re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 2:43pm

Yes sweetie, I joined Broadwayworld in 2005, just hoping I would get the chance to shill for a show 4 years from then.

Do they grow 'em all as smart as you where you come from or are you the exception?

Yankeefan007
#3re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 3:51pm

Just for the record: this isn't a PH production; they're just renting the space.

Not that that matters, just sayin'. And I was potentially interested in seeing this.

Jordan Catalano
#4re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 4:03pm

Yankee, you definitely should! I really hope you enjoy it. :)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 4:54pm

No offense, but it doesn't sound that good. It sounds a little cliche, but I think the subject matter/theme is interesting, just the way it is present with flashbacks and stuff seems a bit "see it."

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#6re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 4:57pm

I was already excited to see this (grabbing my tix in the next few days)... thanks for fueling the interest!

Jordan Catalano
#7re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 5:17pm

RippedMan, it really isn't cliche. It's just a damn good play. :)

RyToast1
#8re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 8:50pm

I saw it last night too, and I thought it was really, really stellar. The acting was great, the story was captivating, good good good!

Heidi Blickenstaff was sitting right in front of me! She liked it too, so there!

Jordan Catalano
#9re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/28/09 at 10:21pm

Ry, you must have been right next to me! She really had a good time it seemed like. :)

RyToast1
#10re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/29/09 at 8:28am

I was in D14.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#11re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:09am

i heard about this yesterday and i'm definitely going to see this. maybe this weekend.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#12re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/2/09 at 1:02am

I just saw the show tonight. I agree; it's a compelling, funny, and moving play with wonderful performances all around. It's definitely worth seeing.

~Steven

Jordan Catalano
#13re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:42pm

I'm so glad you liked it, Steven. I'm going to go back later this week and catch it again, myeslf!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#14re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/2/09 at 3:47pm

Cool. Enjoy!
They were giving final notes last night (I think tonight is opening?) and the audience seemed to really enjoy it (there was a lot of press there last night). I wish it well!

~Steven

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#15re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/5/09 at 3:33am

Ben Brantley gave Next Fall a great review and it's one of his critic's picks!

It's easy to mistake Geoffrey Naufft's "Next Fall" for being slighter than it is. Much of this artful, thoughtful and very moving story of a gay couple agonizing over differences in their religious faiths proceeds with the stinging breeziness of a cosmopolitan comedy. You can imagine its concept being pitched to a television producer as a sort of "Will & Grace" with an ontological conscience: He's a committed Christian, while he's a committed atheist, and it's driving their crazy friends even crazier! But the appealingly acted Naked Angels production, directed by Sheryl Kaller, is an intellectual stealth bomb. Even as you're being entertained by the witty talk of ingratiatingly imperfect people, feeling as comfortable as if you were watching your favorite long-running sitcom, big and uneasy questions -- really big ones, without answers -- are forming in the back of your mind. Don't expect them to go away when the play is over.

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/theater/reviews/04next.html?ref=theater

~Steven
Updated On: 6/5/09 at 03:33 AM

RentBoy86
#16re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 12:46pm

I really want to see this. I love their ad campaign in the subways. It's very artful and sophisticated. I know tickets are only $40, but are there any discount codes or student type tickets? If so, please PM me with details.

vinnylin Profile Photo
vinnylin
#17re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 1:35pm

The only code I've seen is on Broadwaybox, and it'll save you a whopping $5.

I caught this last weekend, and I have to say, it is really quite wonderful, thought-provoking and moving. Very well acted and directed, but it is the script that really shines. The comedy and drama blend seamlessly. Regardless of what you may think about the premise, there is nothing cliche in the play's execution.

"This is wanting something, this is reaching for it, This is wishing that a moment would arrive. This is taking chances, this is almost touching, what the beauty is." --The Light in the Piazza

RentBoy86
#18re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 2:11pm

I think I'll take the plunge and give them my $35. It's for a good cause, ha.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#20re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:24pm

I'm pissed because I found the most perfect ticket for this Sunday's performance, and now the show is sold-out! Ugh!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/12/09 at 5:38pm

Sorry to keep posting, but when I go to get tickets, it says Row F, but on the seating chart there is no row F?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:21am

So, I saw the show tonight, and it was spectacular. Seriously, I think it's one of the best plays I've seen in the last year. It's so well written and well executed. I really enjoyed the whole show. As soon as thought like the whole religious argument was a little heavy handed, they'd throw in a joke or something, so it kept it very interesting and entertaining. I thought all the performances were wonderful, and the use of the space and everything was wonderful. I highly recommend this show, so please go see it! I would say I wish it would transfer to Broadway, but it would just get swallowed up. I just hope it has a life after this run because it is a very interesting concept for a show.

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#23re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/22/09 at 11:09am

Who's the idiot with the "Yes on Prop 8" icon who called the original poster a shill?

This is an amazing play.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#24re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!
Posted: 6/22/09 at 11:38am

is it me or is every show i try to buy a ticket to sold out? do they not like me?

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/