pixeltracker

When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?

When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:36am

I'm talking about someone who made an impact in a leading or supporting role on Broadway first, and then became a movie star after that?

It used to happen all the time (Brando, Clift, Streisand, even working Broadway leads like Travolta and Swayze in Grease), but hardly at all since the '60 and early '70s. Broadway looks to Hollywood now, not vice-versa.

I'm trying to think of the latest Broadway star who became a full-fledged movie star.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:41am

It's a stretch, but Anna Kendrick? Tony & Drama Desk noms for High Society.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:44am

That may be it! I would count her. She's carrying some films now as a "star" (and has an Oscar nomination) and definitely got her start on Broadway.

She's not a big movie star, but certainly above just a "working actor" in films.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#3When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:54am

Hugh Jackman, Nathan Lane?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:00am

Hugh Jackman starred on Broadway after he was an established movie star.

I'm not sure I would call Nathan Lane a movie star, but maybe.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#5When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:07am

I wouldnt say Nathan Lane is a movie star personally.

If you take his work in London and Australia into account he was the last theatre star probably to make it big.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#6When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:20am

He was technically a West End star before landing Wolverine.

Updated On: 4/25/13 at 08:20 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:21am

Agreed. He wasn't a Broadway star.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#8When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:08am

I don't think you can really say that Travolta and Swayze "made an impact in a leading or supporting role on Broadway first."

They were both rather late replacements in an ultra-long running show that seemed to be a home for almost every actor in New York at some point (look at that replacement list).

Not that they were completely ignored, but they certainly were never Broadway "stars" before their tv or movie careers.

If they were, then Samantha Hill, Amra-Faye Wright, Judy McLane, Justin Matthew Sargent, and Andile Gumbi are also "stars."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:12am

I was willing to stretch it because both Travolta and Swayze played leads in a hit Broadway show, then became major film stars.

None of the people you cited as examples are movie stars.

Hey, I'll go one further ... when was the last time a Broadway performer (even from the chorus, like Shirley Jones or Shirley MacLaine) became a movie star?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#10When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:22am

Sarah Jessica Parker?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#11When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:26am

Travolta was a standout in "Over Here!"

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#12When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:33am

SJP is mostly known for TV work, but yeah, she made movies (a star, though?) before Sex In the City. And her biggest film role was in the movie version of the TV show.

There have been a few others besides SJP who have become TV stars after Broadway beginnings (Nell Carter, Phylicia Rashad, Debbie Allen, etc.) Still, we're talking about the late '70s, creeping into the early '80s (Parker played Annie in 1979.)

I suppose if we include chorus or "smaller roles" on Broadway first, Christian Slater played Winthrop in the 1980 revival of "The Music Man" and became a movie star.

It just seems like it's been a long time ... but I think Anna Kendrick fits the bill as someone who started on Broadway (relatively recently, I suppose) and became a movie star (or at least a Oscar-nominated, leading/supporting performer in films).

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#13When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:33am

"Hey, I'll go one further ... when was the last time a Broadway performer (even from the chorus, like Shirley Jones or Shirley MacLaine) became a movie star?"

How would you define a "movie star?" Name above the title? Just any lead role? In any movie, including low-budget indie film? How rigorous do you want to be on that?

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#14When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:39am

What about Patrick Wilson?

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:41am

I don't know. That's a good question, newintown.

When I think of "movie star," it's someone who is a major player on screen, either leading or supporting, who adds either a box office boost or a few awards to the shelf, just by being in the film.

They are mostly leads, but not all, and not always. For example, I would call Morgan Freeman a major movie star, but he isn't always the lead. He adds a "boost" (financially, critically, or with awards) by being in a film.

De Niro is like that now. Even somebody like Maggie Smith.

(And Freeman, De Niro, and Smith are almost always given star billing, even in smaller roles, which says something about their worth to a film.)

But I suppose, if you get rid of all the vague definitions, it's usually a leading performer in films who carries a movie and attracts a built-in audience, just by being in the film. (That covers some crappy actors, too, but hey, that's Hollywood!)

Updated On: 4/25/13 at 09:41 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:42am

Do people consider Patrick Wilson a "movie star?"

(Or a working actor in films?)

EDIT: For example, there is no question about Travolta or Swayze (or Streisand or Julie Andrews or Shirley MacLaine) being movie stars.

I guess if you don't have to question if they are or aren't ... they movie stars.

Updated On: 4/25/13 at 09:42 AM

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#17When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:48am

best12bars, well he played lead roles in a some pretty high profile films... I would consider him a movie star.

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Updated On: 4/25/13 at 09:48 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#18When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:50am

Not too recent, but Kathy Bates?

jo
#19When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:52am

Hugh Jackman has the most interesting theatre-to-movies background. While it is true that he was introduced to international audiences via the West End, it was at a Royal National Theatre restaging of a landmark American musical (Oklahoma!) and where he earned an Olivier nod for his lead role. Not only that, he was discovered in this theatrical production by two bigtime Hollywood producers, Lauren Shuler Donner, lead producer of the FOX XMEN franchise and pushed for his casting in the Wolverine role, as well by Harvey Weinstein who eventually cast him in Kate and Leopold.

By the time, Oklahoma! was ready for its Broadway revival, Hugh was no longer available for the role of Curly as he had become the major actor in the XMEN franchise then.

So, he is one example of where the theatre directly opened doors for an actor to another branch of the performing arts. Ironically, his Hollywood fame opened doors for the first Australian musical to appear on Broadway, The Boy from Oz.

jo
#19When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:52am

sorry, double post. Updated On: 4/25/13 at 09:52 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:59am

There's no question that Hugh's theatre career lead to his film stardom. I was thinking "Broadway" with this thread, but I'll bet there are other performers out there who were discovered in theatre outside of Broadway (international, regional, summer stock, etc.) who have become film stars.

I know Jennifer Garner did summer stock (years later) at the same theatre I worked at, and started doing films and TV not long after.

There are stories I've heard of Hollywood agents venturing into the fly-over states to see one of their "star" clients in a regional production, only to discover an unknown talent, who then becomes either a film, TV, or Broadway star.

If you add all of those stage-to-screen stories, I'm sure it's a broader pool.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#22When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 10:01am

Though she started in the West End rather than Broadway, Catherine Zeta-Jones. Her roots were in musical theatre (shhh...don't tell Hunter Foster!).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

JbaraFan1
#23When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 10:04am

Just my personal opinion of course, but I think Patrick Wilson counts as a movie star. While I don't quite go as far as believing his name alone would sell a film to many but his fans at this point in his career, I do think that his name adds solid cred to any film.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?
Posted: 4/25/13 at 10:07am

I guess when I see someone become established on stage as a Broadway star (recently or even not so recently, I would put people in that category like Idina Menzel, Norbert Leo Butz, Laura Osnes, Patina Miler (both recent additions), Donna Murphy, Audra McDonald, Marin Mazzie, Cherry Jones, etc.

Many of those mentioned above work in films or on TV (some regularly), but I would call them "Broadway stars" who can attract an audience to see a play just by having their name above the title.

I guess that's the same definition of "movie star" I'm going for:

Actors in films, considered "stars" in the industry, who can attract an audience to see a movie just by having their name above the title.