Grade the Tony performances

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:01am

Ranging from A+ to F, where did this year's performances rank for you, individually?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:09am

Scottsboro, Catch Me, Mormon - A

How To Succeed - A-

Anything Goes - B

Spider-Man - B

Sister Act - C

Priscilla - C

Memphis - C

Company - C

These grades have nothing to do with whether I liked the actual songs or even the show they're from. I based this strictly on the quality and polish of each number.

....but the world goes 'round

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:15am

I am basing this on the likelihood that I would buy tickets based on the performance.

Mormon: A
Sister Act: A-
Scottsboro: B+/B
Company: B
How to Succeed: C+
Anything Goes: C-
Priscilla: D+
Spider Man, Memphis, Catch Me: F

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 6/13/11 at 11:15 AM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#3Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:18am

Morman, Scottsboro, Catch Me: A+

How to succeed: A

Sister Act, Anything Goes: B-

Spider-man: D-

Memphis, Priscilla: F

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#4Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:19am

Scottsboro - B+

Catch Me - A

Mormon - A-

How To Succeed - B-

Anything Goes - A-

Spider-Man - C-

Sister Act - B+

Priscilla - C-

Memphis - D

Company - C+

I would give the opening, the Harris/Jackman number, and the closing rap all an A+.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#5Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:24am

I think BoM picked the perfect number- not overly bleeped like Spring Awakening suffered & showcasing Andrew Rannell's amazing, powerhouse fabulous voice. Only wish we could have seen the chorus a bit. But I love that the presentation was accurate to how we see the song in the show. Montage performances always irk me at the Tonys, which is why I didn't rate Scottsboro higher.

Book of Mormon: A+

Anything Goes: A

Catch Me if You Can: A-

Scottsboro: B+

How To Succeed - B

Priscilla: C+

Memphis: C

Spider-Man - C

Company: C-

Sister Act - D

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:27am

Book of Mormon: A

Anything Goes: B+

Catch Me if You Can: B+

Scottsboro: B

How To Succeed - B+

Priscilla: C

Memphis: D

Spider-Man - C

Company: C+

Sister Act - B+

I thought Scottsboro Boys came off looking a little bland with their performance. It was well-executed, but not exciting and revealed nothing about the show. It needed John Cullum to string it together (but obviously he couldn't have done it, as he was performing All's Well That Ends Well).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#7Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:31am

Book of Mormon: B

Catch Me if You Can: A

How To Succeed: A

Priscilla: D

Memphis: C (this would be lower but the kids bumped it)

Spider-Man: F

Company: D

Sister Act: B+

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:32am

Book of Mormon: A-

Catch Me if You Can: B-

How To Succeed - B+

Memphis: D-

Spider-Man - D

Company: F

Sister Act - A

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#9Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:50am

Catch Me: A - made me want to see the show

Mormon: A - a real delight

Sister Act: B - some sound/mike issues. Again, have seen this done much better

Scottsboro Boys: B - It was good, but not great. And despite the introduction, made little sense. I didn't even get the mistrel show feeling.

How to Succeed: B minus : It just paled to prior productions. It really needed that Lillias White belt!

Anything Goes - C - Sutton looked bored, could see her counting - and the number just looks so much better on the preview clips. Too bad LuPone was backstage getting ready for company, because our viewing group REALLY wanted to see her reaction

Spider-Man: D - perfectly lovely and lifeless. Did not stir any interest in the show. Plus the long Bono introduction robbed the show of time.

Company: B Minus - crazy camerwork - choreography dull - but my daughter wants to go see it in the movie theatre.

Memphis: Huh? The kids saved it. But, still a D plus.

Hugh v. Neil: A Plus
Tony Recap Rap: A
Opening: B - I didn't agree with the conceit - the audience bits were dull (except for the asides to Lansbury and Pacino)

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#10Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:52am

Some of these Spider Man gradings make me laugh, the song was great, they sounded great, it was not a big flashy number it was a great ballad. I think they did a great job and made the right move by doing such a simple performance.

Book of Mormon: A+

Anything Goes: A-

Catch Me if You Can: B-

How To Succeed - B

Memphis: E

Spider-Man - B

Company: D

Sister Act - C

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Nettik
#11Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:56am

CMIYC: A+
Scottsboro Boys: A
Sister Act: B
How To Succeed: B-
Anything Goes: B-
Company: C-
Spider-Man: C-

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#12Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 12:01pm

Sister Act: A+
How to Succeed: B
Anything Goes: B-
Company, Priscilla, Spider Man, Memphis, Catch Me: C

I'm normally a Mormon cheerleader, but Sister Act was the most exciting performance that night for me. The performances that I gave C's to weren't horrible in my opinion, but they weren't that exciting. I would have given H2$ an A if it wasn't for the singing. The excessive tapping in Anything Goes was already boring me, but the ensemble seemed so mechanical. Scottsboro didn't blow my mind either, but it was very good, too. I'm giving it a B+ to rank it above H2$.

EDIT:
Hugh & NPH: A++++++ Get Hugh back on Broadway.
Opening: B+ Funny, and entertaining, but not all that superb. The plus was for Brooke Shields.
Closing: A- Enjoyable, and well-written.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.
Updated On: 6/13/11 at 12:01 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#13Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 12:03pm

I feel like I'm going to end up disagreeing and being in the minority of my opinions.

Catch Me if You Can: A

Scottsboro: A

How To Succeed: B+

Priscilla: A+

Memphis: C-

Spider-Man: F It was absolutely boring to me.

Sister Act: C-

Opening-B+ I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little awkward after awhile. It would have been better if it were a little shorter.

Neal Patrick Harris & Hugh Jackman-A+

Closing-D That was painful to listen to. Neal sounded like he had no beat and was trying to keep up with nothing.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bwayfan7000
#14Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 12:06pm

Scottsboro: A-
Catch Me: B
How To Succeed: B
Memphis/Spider-Man: Whatever...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#15Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 12:35pm

Jackman vs. Harris: A
Book of Mormon: A-
Ending rap: B+
Scottsboro Boys: B+
Anything Goes: B+
Opening: B
Catch Me If You Can: B
How to Succeed: C+
Spiderman: C+
Sister Act: C
Company: C
Memphis: D+

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris
Updated On: 6/13/11 at 12:35 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#16Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 12:37pm

Opening Number: A (I loved it, but I admit I'm a sucker for those awful opening medleys the past few years)

HOW TO SUCCEED: A (LOVE Ellen Harvey, so glad she got to perform her solo. This number proved how much Daniel Radcliffe deserved a nomination)

CATCH ME: B (It should've just been Nobert, the awkward Tveit opening was unneeded. It came off very 'oh you're the star but you're not nominated, sorry". Norbert rocked it, and proved why he deserved the Tony later that night)

SCOTTSBORO: B+ (I loved the choreography to the 'Hey Hey Hey' section, and enjoyed the whole performance, but it got a little tired by the end. I don't know if the song was the best choice, most people I was watching with got quite bored)

SISTER ACT: A (The most energy of the night. It's a real shame this show couldn't have opened last year, where it could have won tons of awards including the big one. Patina Miller's mic was off though)

MORMON: A+ (The best performance of the night. Andrew Rannells is fantastic, and I loved that they included the black solider section.)

COMPANY: C (Enjoying seeing all of the cast up there, but that choreography is just plain awful)

ANYTHING GOES: A (It's a shame they cut the "Times have changed" section for the awards, and sped up the tempo ungodly. But Sutton & company still rocked it, and proved why they won the three awards they took home last night)

MEMPHIS: F (The only appealing part of the show before was Montego's voice, which now seems tired by her use of head voice. Chad still resembles a slightly challenged individual when he sings)

and SPIDER-MAN: B (I enjoyed the performance. The song is good, and Jen sounded fantastic. If Reeve learned to open his mouth he might have sounded better. They should've done 'Say it Now')

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Actor2
#17Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 12:54pm

IdinaBellFoster - I would've given Memphis somewhat higher marks, but other than that, I am in almost complete agreement with your grade and assessments. Yay.
Updated On: 6/13/11 at 12:54 PM

luvbrdway
#18Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 1:22pm

Book Of Mormon - (A) I'm Mormon and was not offended - had some pretty funny inside jokes. I am offended by the language in other songs from this show.

Sister Act - (A) Made me want to see it.

Anything Goes - (A) Smiled all the way through it.

How to Succeed - (A) Daniel Radcliffe is short! I've always loved that song and was surprised at his singing/dancing abilities.

Company - (B) Can someone give me the names of all who were in that number?

Pricilla - (B) I just love that song. The production was so-so.

Memphis - (C) Why??????

Catch Me - (C) Eh-didn't do much for me

Spider Man - (C) (See above comment)

Thought the Opening Song and Closing Rap were great - (A)

Christie Brinkley and Whoopie's outfit - (F)

Updated On: 6/13/11 at 01:22 PM

BroadwayShowTime
#19Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 1:34pm

Book of Mormon: C

Anything Goes: B

Catch Me if You Can: D

Scottsboro: A

How To Succeed: C

Memphis: D

Spider-Man: D

Sister Act: B

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#20Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 1:41pm

Scottsboro: A+
I didn't get to see the show, and their performance really made me wish I did. Hopefully it comes back or something of the sort. Oh right, they are touring. Josh Henry is also amazing.

Catch Me if You Can: B
I saw the show, liked it, didn't love it, and still don't get the hype about this number. It is a good number, just not as good as the rave it gets on BWW. Norbert is talented, but I'd say any of the 5 guys could have won the Tony and I'd be happy.

Mormon: A+
Haven't seen it, but so glad I have a great seat for next month.

How To Succeed - A
Saw this, as well, and I actually really liked it. They did it well last night, and I actually love Ellen Harvey. I think putting Lillias White in there took away from what the number was originally intended to be, and Ellen Harvey does a great job in the role. I love her voice, too.

Anything Goes - B
I really want to see this show, but if they do this number one more time....urghhh. It was okay. Good last note from Sutton.

Spider-Man - C+
I like the show, I appreciate the "artistic" side that not many people seem to get, but this was the completely wrong song to choose. Out of the shows context, it was just not right for the Tonys. They should have done the show version of Rise Above with TV or just have let Reeve do Boy Falls from the Sky. I actually think Freak Like Me would have interested viewers though.

Sister Act - A
I love this number. Patina still would have one. I'll be upset about this one for a while. Sutton is Sutton, and she'll always be a household Broadway name, but this award would have been great recognition for Patina's great work in Sister Act. It would have been the best way to honor the show, and they were left with nothing because of the Mormon sweep, if you look at all of their other categories.

Priscilla - B+
I like the show, but there was just something a little weird about the number last night to me. They should have showcased Tony Sheldon.

Memphis - D+
Coming from someone who really likes this show, that performance sucked. Montego and Chad sounded horrible, and I felt bad for the ensemble to be embarrassed like that. Maybe it was the lack of James Monroe Iglehart :) . No, Will Mann was actually fine. It was just bad.

Company - C
Didn't see the show/staged concert thing, but this didn't make me want to see the movie. Pretty bad performance.

All of the other NPH/NPH + HJ stuff- A. It was funny, and a great addition to the show. Lin MM is a talented man!

walt1896
#21Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 1:45pm

Book of Mormon: A -

Anything Goes:A, A+ if they could have done intro and final verse. Sutton was counting with body language as part of the choreography/role as Reno "Tap conductress" "Ah one two three four...." Don't know what if any implications Patti's reaction shot would have held. We also missed the closeups of Cole and Ethel smiling.

Catch Me if You Can: A-

How To Succeed - B

Spider-Man - C

Sister Act - B

Updated On: 6/13/11 at 01:45 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#22Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 2:35pm

Book of Mormon A- only because there are better numbers but Andrew Rannells was flawless in his performance.

Catch Me If you Can D+
(enjoyed the first part of the Aaron Tveit number A- and then they switched to that wretched Leo Butz number D-)

Sister Act D (that song proves whats wrong with the show. the nun learn how to sing in 30 seconds while the movie had us falling in love with each nun as they learned to sing. Abysmal musical. Much worse than 9 to 5, Cry Baby, which did not run.

How To Succeed B+ Loved Ellen Harvey---- usually love Rob Ashford but that number was OVER choreographed.

Spiderman d- That was the best they could do?? really. than I'll stay home and not buy a ticket. That song was abysmal

Memphic C- and whats with the teenagers coming in and clapping?
Yuch.

Company B

Scottboro A-

Anything Goes A

Pricislla - was that really a number or a political hodge podge to get it in the show? C

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#23Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 3:12pm

Anything Goes : A+
How To Succeed: A+
Catch Me: A
Book Of Mormon: B+
Priscilla: B+
Memphis: B+
Spider-Man: B

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#24Grade the Tony performances
Posted: 6/13/11 at 3:48pm

A
The Book of Mormon – Outstanding performance from Andrew Rannells
The Scottsboro Boys – Joshua Henry and company were superb!
Anything Goes – Phonemenal staging.
Catch Me If You Can – A Staging and Butz's performance are electrifying.

B
Sister Act – Patina Miller was fabaluss, but the logic of the number is ridiculous.

C
Memphis – We didn't need yet another raise-the-roof gospel-esque number.
Company -- Another uneccessary inclusion. Poorly shot.
Opening number - Only mildly humorous, saved completely by Harris' performance.

D
How To Succeed in Business – I detest that choreography!
Spider-Man – Dull song from a decent rock score.

D-
Priscilla – D- Every time I see a number from that show, it gets worse. So tired and uninspired.