News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for trevytoe

Member Name: trevytoe
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Trevor Nunn is directing The Bridges of Madison County in London
 Jul 22 2019, 08:33:21 PM

Re: Orchestra. If I recall correctly, there is a 10-piece orchestra for this production so it isn't the reduced orchestra we have typically seen at the Chocolate Factory. The orchestra and score really soar in this production. 

Jul 22 2019, 08:30:38 PM

In the London production, Marge is textually the same as the original production, but Gillian Kirkpatrick completely takes this role to a new level. She really steals the show and becomes the heart of the show in many ways. On a casting level, she appears more as Russell's peer and best friend. They appear to be the same age. She never really comes across as a meddlesome neighbor. Kirkpatrick also has maybe the best vocals in this production. 

Jul 22 2019, 08:53:56 AM

I saw the first preview (which was actually their final dress rehearsal) on July 13. Nunn's direction doesn't really add anything new to the show although this does feel much smaller and more intimate compared to the original staging (and it's not just because the Chocolate Factory is tiny). I think this could transfer to the West End and do well, but this likely won't make it to New York. It just doesn't add anything new to the show.

I will say, this is not a beaut

Unproduced Plays
 Mar 5 2018, 05:52:42 PM

Fellow New Play Lovers, 

What are some of your favorite unproduced, new plays?

The 50 Playwrights Project just announced their second annual list of the best unproduced Latinx plays today. The 2018 Kilroys List will be out later this spring.

What else is out there?

Rachel York and Betty Buckley Grey Gardens in New York?
 Jul 9 2016, 04:06:40 PM

I saw this production on the 6th and wanted to echo many of the thoughts above.

I found Act 1 to be average at best. York does her best with the material; I much preferred her Big Edie to her Little Edie. But, in the end, the score and book for Act 1 just drag. And you could feel this in the audience around me with people constantly checking their watches, looking through the program, being restless, falling asleep, etc. There was a lot of negative energy around me. During intermission

Hamilton Previews
 Jul 16 2015, 04:14:52 PM

sorano, thanks for the update about changes from The Public. I agree about the ending being a little muddled.

But, I was really hoping to hear that the end of Act 1 would have improved. When I saw it in April it felt like it could have ended at least 3 times. Each time I thought it was going to end, it only made the remaining part feel longer.

And I didn't think the 3rd Schuyler sister worked at all (Overall, the female characters could be more multi-dimensional). Still,

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
 Apr 29 2015, 08:48:19 PM

I have to agree about Malone. While the role isn't as flashy as others, it's by far the most nuanced performance by the women in question. Malone's performance is the one that I can't get out of my head.

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
 Apr 12 2015, 10:49:53 AM

In regards to transferring, this is a co-production with Houston Grand Opera and will be playing in Houston next April-May (2016). So, wouldn't any talk of a possible transfer (if at all) happen post-Houston once this production has finished its scheduled "run?" 

Riedel on Hamilton transfer
 Feb 26 2015, 08:58:07 AM
I'm going to agree; I would bet the "average American" knows very little about Hamilton except that he is on the $10 bill. I don't think the show being about Hamilton is the draw at all.
Kiss of the Spider Woman with Audra?
 Jan 15 2015, 09:07:35 AM
I have to agree about it being problematic casting non-Latin@s in 2015, especially considering the obvious choices - Andrea Burns, Karen Olivo, etc. Even JLo stunt casting could potentially be terrific. Lin-Manuel Miranda, Raul Esparza, Christopher Jackson, etc.
Simply put, there are Latin@s who can shine in these roles, some of which have enough name value to help carry a show.

Would they do a production of "The Scottsboro Boys" with non-Black actors? Or "Pacific Overtures" with

Upcoming
 Jul 17 2014, 02:02:57 PM
I just saw it at Old Globe on Sunday and thought it was fantastic; the production really elevates the material in every way. Yes, there was "just" a piano for the most part, but there were lots of additional instruments at times to fill the score and, honestly, I didn't miss a full orchestra in the slightest because the performances and staging were completely on point. For instance, there was guitar during Jack's scenes and songs (to be honest, this had a very Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson feel
2014-2015 Announced National Tours Seasons
 Jan 17 2014, 05:44:25 PM
Houston - Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS) just announced their season which inclused some tours.

Radio City Christmas Spectacular - December 5-28, 2014
Kinky Boots - February 10-22, 2015
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - March 17-29, 2015
Cinderella - May 27-June 7, 2015

Broadway Tours 2013-2014
 Mar 22 2013, 09:17:20 PM
New Orleans at the newly refurbished Saenger Theater (closed since 2005).

Book of Mormon - October 15-27
Ghost - November 19-24
Sister Act - December 17-22
Rain - January 17-19 (Bonus)
Beauty and the Beast - February 4-9
Memphis - March 11-16
War Horse - May 13-18

Which european country has the most theater?
 Jan 11 2013, 09:59:44 AM
I'd say Madrid (Spain) is the best bet. They usually have several sit-downs and there are tons of smaller theaters. Your enjoyment level would depend on your Spanish proficiency of course, but everything I've seen there I have found to be of high quality.

Maroulis, Davi, Jarvis to Star in Revised THE TOXIC AVENGER in Houston
 Jan 22 2012, 03:55:25 PM
I just saw the show this weekend and thought it was in great shape. I didn't get to see it off-broadway, so I have nothing to compare it to as far as additions, cuts and/or changes. I had heard some bad things about the previous production, so maybe my expectations were low. Either way, I thought it as better than lots of shows I have seen on Broadway. The second act was considerably better than the first; the first seemed like it could use a few cuts to make it shorter and not drag.

A

There's a KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN Revival Happening This Season?
 Nov 30 2011, 01:19:02 PM
Wouldn't this just be the original "Kiss of the Spider Woman" play that Puig adapted from his novel in the 80s?
Photo Flash: Douglas Sills & Sara Gettelfinger in THE ADDAMS FAMILY Tour - First Production Shot!
 Sep 24 2011, 12:21:59 AM
I saw the show on Thursday night and thought it was one of the worst shows I had seen. I didn't get to see it in NYC so I can't speak for any changes or new material. It did seem that Morticia had more to do based on what I had read about the show. None of the songs were memorable and only a few of the jokes hit. The biggest laugh was a joke about Charlie Sheen and rehab. The cast was really good, but at one point I was thinking that most of them deserve better.
THE UNOFFICIAL 'FREE MAN OF COLOR' on Broadway Thread
 Oct 27 2010, 09:20:26 PM
I thought the first Act 1 was fine, but the second act never seemed to end. I think the main thing that needs to be done is chopping off a lot of the last 30 minutes or so. The end felt like a runaway train car in a way.

The sets were rather impressive with the house set from the first act being the most. I don't know that I have seen such a massive set before on a Broadway stage.

THE UNOFFICIAL 'FREE MAN OF COLOR' on Broadway Thread
 Oct 24 2010, 02:52:35 AM
I saw the show tonight and have to agree with everything CapnHook said. The costumes were excellent as is Jeffrey Wright. There were also at least 40 people who left at intermission and I heard tons of negative comments during intermission and after the show. I think that somewhere in the 3 hours is a really good 2.5 hour show, but it needs some major trimming to get there. The first act was strong, but the second act just kept going without really adding anything in my opinion.
? WHITE NOISE ?
 Jul 5 2010, 10:31:08 PM
I also saw it in New Orleans last year and thought it had a lot of promise. The score was really great as were the performances. It did need a bit of rewriting as it got very heavy towards the end. I know of about 10 people who ended up seeing it then and all of them really enjoyed it. The material really makes people think too which is always a good thing.

I also have been waiting to hear if this will ever transfer. While I think the quality is at the Broadway level, I don't think the

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You