News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RoyiG

Member Name: RoyiG
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 May 15 2024, 11:07:22 PM

Broadway Flash said: "I did not like the trailer at all. Everyone lookssad and depressed. The witches don’t seem like winners. And why on earth did they cast Jonathan Bailey in this"

I'm guessing because he's an Olivier winning musical theater performer who starred on the most watched English-language show of the most popular global streaming service in the world... and that he's handsome and hell.

I have been cautiously optimist

Mike Faist, Lucas Hedges to star in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN stage play in London
 Mar 20 2023, 10:03:04 AM

TotallyEffed said: "It really is a shame that gay men just HATE doing theatre but thank god we have so many straight men who will bravely fill their shoes. :)"

Asking in all seriousness... do we know that these actors aren't queer?

BOB FOSSE’S DANCIN’ Reviews
 Mar 19 2023, 11:35:42 PM

Saw one of the final previews. The cast was astonishing, their dancing was perfectly crisp, athletic, thrilling to watch, without a single missed beat and they were 100% in sync while also letting their own uniqueness shine through. Some standout performers were Kolton Krouse (stunning charisma, playful and mischevious) and Manuel Herrera ('Mr Bojangles' almost moved me to tears right out the gate). The performers got a mid-show standing ovation from several audience members in act 2.

Selling One (1) 1776 Rush Ticket for 7pm TONIGHT
 Nov 3 2022, 05:09:20 PM

Hi

I got a rush 1776 ticket this morning for tonight (11/3 at 7pm-orchestra C, seems great!) but have been feeling like garbage over the last hour or so. Abundance of caution, etc. etc- any interest from anyone to buy at listed price ($49)? It's just the one, unfortunately!

Lmk. And please go easy on me if I posted in the wrong place :-|

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previews
 Oct 20 2022, 01:14:47 PM

Hey everyone! Would you recommend this as a fun and heartwarming show to take my mom to for her 60th birthday? My mom and I have always gone to Broadway shows together and was just curious what some other theater fans might think. Thanks!

Having seen this last night I would answer that question with a resounding 'Yes'! Heartwarming is exactly how I would describe it.

I hadn't seen the previous iteration but it was very much on my radar given the excellent wo

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article
 Oct 15 2022, 01:20:58 PM

Broadway61004 said: 
There are a whole lot of other people involved in a production besides the cast. She bashes the director, designers, writers--all of whom are her co-workers and fellow artists. So just because she says "I like the cast" doesn't excuse her for talking down about all the other members of the company."

Fair, there are more involved than just the cast. I just truly didn’t read her comments about the directors or the productio

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article
 Oct 15 2022, 12:08:30 PM

In reading the interview I don't think Porkalob is "publicly trashing" or "bashing the people she works with" at all. I do think that they are sharing specific, pointed critiques of discrete moments/directorial choices in the show. It's certainly unusual to see performers share those thoughts, but I'm in agreement with those who find this candor refreshing!

Also given statements they made like "I also think that they cast the best people for the rol

Eden & Karen
 Apr 16 2021, 03:54:18 PM

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Who are you talking to."

this sent me^

White American Theater: #WeSeeYou
 Jun 9 2020, 04:15:57 PM

An amazing letter! Love to see it. Thank you for sharing :)

My Fair Lady Ending
 Mar 5 2019, 03:50:30 PM

darquegk said: "I see Sher has STILL ignored my originally-submitted alternate ending, in which instead of walking away when Higgins asks for his slippers, Eliza jumps in the air and does a spin kick that decapitates Higgins, before the entire cast takes a group bow to "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" by HOTEI.

Then again, Geoge Bernard Shaw continues to ignore my texts that "Pygmalion" needs more of the titular half-pig/half-chameleon monster, and th

KING LEAR Previews
 Mar 4 2019, 06:42:42 PM

I went Saturday night. I was super excited going into it and unfortunately left feeling a bit let down. That said it was super early previews so hopefully things pick up over the next few weeks!

The good: A+ acting from Jackson, Houdyshell, Pedro Pascal and Ruth Wilson- the latter in particular doing amazing work as Cordelia/The Fool.

I personally enjoyed the Philip Glass live orchestrations and did not find them distracting.

Michael Arden as Cornwall'

Choir Boy Today Tix Rush
 Feb 12 2019, 02:46:51 PM

I think mine were AA112 and AA113. Mezzanine, front row, smack dab in the middle. My friend and I were very happy with the seats.

Choir Boy Today Tix Rush
 Feb 12 2019, 02:34:10 PM

Not too hard- just keep your eye on the clock and enter as soon as it hits 10am.

Did this last week and got excellent center front-row mezzanine seats, after a few failed attempts when I'd enter a few minutes past 10 (like 10:10am). Good luck!

Camelot LCT Benefit
 Feb 1 2019, 09:08:43 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "Growing up, I would constantly listen to the original cast album of Gypsy and became enamored of the show and musical theatre.

Doesn’t mean I’m right for Rose."

^Oh man I needed that laugh REAL bad this morning. Thank you.

Danny Burstein to Join MY FAIR LADY as Alfred Doolittle
 Jan 9 2019, 09:36:39 AM

I caught his debut last night! One of the other threads mentioned that for whatever reason Laura Benanti WAS going on that Tuesday, and TodayTix had reasonable tickets so I was able to catch this performance.

Danny brought a lot of joy to the role, and I expect he'll continue to fill it out as his run progresses. He had some great physical humor (particularly when he goes to Higgins' home) and I found his final scene with Eliza quite touching. My one gripe would be that during

What is the best Stage Performance You Have Ever Seen?
 Nov 15 2018, 09:45:05 AM

What Alan Cumming accomplished in his (mostly) one-man 'Macbeth' was pretty astonishing

TodayTix App Problems 9/13?
 Sep 13 2018, 09:55:55 AM

Samesies :/

THE NAP Previews
 Sep 5 2018, 10:46:13 AM

@little_ally: would you recommend? I'm considering getting the TodayTix rush tickets

It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 4 2014, 02:24:24 PM
Saw it last night, with no real background knowledge beyond of course familiarity with Terrence McNally's oeuvre and the star-studded cast.

It was certainly an enjoyable evening- there's no way you can watch Nathan Lane pontificate on the state of the American Theater (specifically Broadway) without cracking many a smile. That said, the play itself didn't carry much weight. At it's best moments it was a critique of the nature of Broadway business today and the careful balancing act between creating Good Solid Theater and selling seats, and at worst it was over-packed with many (often meta) jokes that only people QUITE privy to the theater scene world would get. Some of those in-jokes were solid gold, especially when delivered by the very capable actors, but not necessarily enough to distract from the fact that the book didn't seem to have anything consequential to say.

The performances were a lot of fun. Nathan Lane was Nathan Lane, and I'd have it no other way. F Murray Abraham was a gas, clearly having a ton of fun with the character from the second he entered the stage. I don't necessarily think that Megan Mullally and Stockard Channing were miscast, though they were IMHO the weaker players in the ensemble. Ms. Channing particularly seemed a little off to me, a little out of it-- I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say it may be chalked up to the direction she's getting in how to portray a washed up diva with ALL of the substance abuse problems, and that the kinks may get ironed out by opening night. The real pleasant surprises of the evening? To me, they were the young'ns in the cast: Rupert Grint and Micah Stock as the unhinged wunderkind director and the fresh faced NYC hopeful, respectively. Grint in particular really impressed with comedic chops I wasn't expecting in creating this very dark, very funny, VERY diva-ish character. And he DEFINITELY had the best costume of the cast.

So, do I think this is a masterpiece of theater? Hardly; it doesn't work hard enough to produce any insights into the Broadway world that are particularly salient or new, and many of the laughs are too reliant on the zeitgeist of today to stand the test of time in, say, twenty years (seriously- there was a Kardashian Sister joke). But if you're looking for a love-hate letter to the 'biz' by some great players with some truly hysterical moments, you could do much worse. Up to you. It's only a play

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You