News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/16/24 at 3:28pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 7/14/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE WHO'S TOMMY (10.7%), SUFFS (1.6%), HOME (0.9%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (0.6%), ALADDIN (0.3%), HELL'S KITCHEN (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: ILLINOISE (-11.1%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (-9.7%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-8.1%), CHICAGO (-7.4%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-5.5%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (-3.5%), THE NOTEBOOK (-3.2%), THE WIZ (-3.1%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-3.1%), THE LION KING (-2.6%), SIX (-2%), & JULIET (-1.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.9%), HAMILTON (-0.5%), THE OUTSIDERS (-0.2%), HADESTOWN (-0.2%), WICKED (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/16/24 at 4:57pm

Another great week for The Great Gatsby.  &Juliet needs help

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/16/24 at 5:01pm

Solid week for most.

As I expected, the closing of Merrily affected the small drop in cumulative gross. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/16/24 at 5:06pm

Broadway Flash said: "Another great week for The Great Gatsby. &Juliet needs help"

Is this accurate? They played to similar capacities, and & Juliet had the higher average ticket cost. And it's recouped. Based on costs to run, I'd think Juliet's doing better than Gatsby (not that the latter is in bad shape).

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/17/24 at 10:05pm

This is an extraordinarily low-performing grosses thread. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/17/24 at 11:00pm

I think there are two reasons for that.

1. Because the grosses are fairly unremarkable this week. Nothing stood out, or made me even go "Hmm." Which isn't shocking in the middle of July.

2. Because lately the grosses threads have been following an unfortunate pattern of Flash saying something asinine (usually involving The Great Gatsby), people being outraged by it for half a page, and by the time that's over, it's either late Wednesday, or Thursday.

Updated On: 7/17/24 at 11:00 PM

VintageSnarker
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/18/24 at 7:30am

How are Suffs and The Notebook doing relative to their running costs? Can I wait until September to see them?

pablitonizer
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/18/24 at 7:42am

VintageSnarker said: "How are Suffs and The Notebook doing relative to their running costs? Can I wait until September to see them?"

I see The Notebook closing by labor day

Suffs seems to be doing a bit better but I don't know how well their ticket sales for the upcoming months look like

Sammy232
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/18/24 at 11:37am

pablitonizer said: "VintageSnarker said: "How are Suffs and The Notebook doing relative to their running costs? Can I wait until September to see them?"

I see The Notebook closing by labor day

Suffs seems to be doing a bit better but I don't know how well their ticket sales for the upcoming months look like
"

If I had to guess I'd say the Notebook by Labor Day and Suffs at the end of the year/end of the holiday weeks. I think it might be a good idea for Suffs to move to a schedule that has 2 weekday matinees in the fall to capitalize on school groups,

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/18/24 at 11:51am

Don’t be surprised if Notebook shutters on August 25. As for Suffs, they’ll post their January closing notice shortly after Election Day, leading some casuals to believe it was solely political propaganda.

Either theatre would be ripe for The Motive and the Cue in the spring. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/18/24 at 1:40pm

VintageSnarker said: "How are Suffs and The Notebook doing relative to their running costs? Can I wait until September to see them?"

Suffs has very deep pockets and they really want to be around for the election so I don't see it closing anytime before that.

I was looking at tickets for The Outsiders that were $199 and then they went up to $229, then $249, then $319 and now they are $423! Whew! Congratulations to them!

VintageSnarker
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/19/24 at 4:13am

Well, I guess I'm taking my parents to Gatsby then

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/19/24 at 8:45am

Sammy232 said: "I think it might be a good idea for Suffs to move to a schedule that has 2 weekday matinees in the fall to capitalize on school groups,"

let’s see if they can actually fill one weekday matinee let alone two.

Getting school groups during the week is far more complicated than having performance options on multiple days. The costs are high without Hamilton-style subsidies, and there’s a good deal of red tape to go through.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/19/24 at 8:57am

Some of shows should move to Friday matinees.  It’d make money.  Great Gatsby has Thursday matinees and it’s one of their best selling performances. 

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/19/24 at 1:29pm

I am thrilled that Gatsby is doing so well.  I know how the response has been but I really enjoyed it and hope it sticks around for a good while.  I think the producers have actually been very clever in their strategy.  Monday night and Thursday matinee performances seem to help drive its ticket sales on top of its incredible marketing and media presence.  While it remains to be seen how well it does in the long run, I applaud the production for defying the odds considering most wrote the show off immediately and predicted a Wonderland-type downfall.

I'm curious about how sales will reflect when The Outsiders eliminates its Wednesday night shows in favor of a second weekday matinee.  I'm assuming this will be due to high demand from school groups.  Either way, I'm ecstatic at the success the show is seeing.  Could it be on track to recoup before the year is out?  I'm not sure what it was capitalized at and what its weekly running costs are. 

Updated On: 7/19/24 at 01:29 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/19/24 at 1:53pm

Not sure about weekly running costs but Outsiders was capitalized at $22 million. 

Oh look, a bibu!

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/24
Posted: 7/19/24 at 2:29pm

Oh wow, didn't realize it was that high.

Videos