News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Platypus

Member Name: Platypus
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The 76th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 11 2023, 07:43:13 PM

MarkCohen said: "Another Canadian here. That article says the awards themselves at 8pm EST will be available on Paramount+ Canada. I subscribed but am not seeing a 'Live' option, just CBS News. Any Canadians having more luck?"

The last time it was on Paramount+, we didn't get it in Canada... It was only on the American app, which you can't access without an American credit card . A VPN unfortunately didn't work with the Canadian app, either. 

Anthony Rapp's WITHOUT YOU at New World Stages  Jan 21 2023, 09:11:47 PM

I saw it back in 2012 in Toronto. I have no idea if it has been reworked since, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

As someone who was absolutely obsessed with Rent in it's prime, it still holds a very special place in my heart - so much so that I already have my tickets to see Rent again at Stratford Festival (Ontario, Canada) this summer. I say this to make it completely clear that I am very biased towards anything related to Rent. Consequently, I absolutely lapped this sho

Rock of Ages Toronto?  Jan 21 2023, 08:34:32 PM

Fellow Toronto theatre-goer here. I noticed the exact same thing as you - I've never heard of them and the website talks about how they're this up and coming entertainment company but no information that isn't a direct quote from their website seems to exist anywhere else online.

When you go to their "about us" page: https://moreentertainmentgroup.com/home/, you'll notice that they have big plans, but the launch dates are all in the future. So it looks like they haven't actually done anything yet, and ROA is their first event. So I think we'll have to wait and see if their big plans pan out...

2022-2023 Touring Season  Jun 8 2022, 05:20:33 PM

William12 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Very weird Jagged isn’t included in the subscription. It’s been apart of the subscription for every other city it’s announced, right?"

Yeah, even J. Kelly Nestruck tweeted his confusion over this. He said he felt it could have played for a few months in Toronto. He was also disappointed in the lack of SIX, and was surprised by the choice of the West End shows - he was hoping for Life of Pi. I can&#3

Lin to direct film adaptation of Tick Tick Boom  Nov 23 2021, 09:36:30 AM

SmoothLover said: "The Sondheim message on the answering machine was the exact one that was used in the NY City Center production."

Not according to Lin... He is quoted all over the place saying that Sondheim didn't like what he originally wrote for the voicemail so Sondheim rewrote and recorded it after filming wrapped. One of many articles that he talks about it: https://ew.com/movies/stephen-sondheims-voice-end-tick-tick-boom/

Lin to direct film adaptation of Tick Tick Boom  Nov 16 2021, 10:21:45 PM

robbie_731 said: ""Who Is Jonathan Larson? A Look Into His Life & Legacy" Featurette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3hgz18aGUs"

Thanks for making me cry with a promo, Netflix!

On an unrelated note, should we tell BWW that their review is full of errors? It mixed up who plays Susan vs. Karessa, not to mention misused the word infamous... I haven't seen the film yet so there were probably other flubs that I didn't catch...

Rumor- Riverdale Next To Normal musical episode  Sep 30 2021, 09:45:43 PM

That was painful to watch and listen to. Now I need to go listen to the OBCR to wash my ears out.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  Sep 28 2021, 08:18:17 PM

Jordan Levinson said: "Which is also why Jared Kleinman became Jared Kalwani - Nik Dodani is of Indian descent and the film absolutely HAD to be more diverse."

Making the cast more diverse is of course a great thing. But the Jared Kleinman character also needed to change because he was a ridiculous Jewish stereotype. If I remember correctly, he makes it clear that he's Jewish by mentioning his Bar Mitzvah money, followed immediately by basically saying

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Sep 26 2021, 06:06:11 PM

FosseTharp said: "According to a Google search you can watch the Tonys on Paramount+ in Canada but you’ll need a VPN to watch it anywhere else besides US and Canada.

Edit: Also, it didn’t show up for me on the main page (from the US) and couldn’t find it until I searched for “Tony” in the search bar. Added it to my list so it’ll be easy to get to at 7:00
"

I tried with a VPN and they're smarter than that - you can'

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Sep 26 2021, 05:21:53 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "This is from the Paramount + U.S. app.Once you sign in, this is part of the main menu slideshow:

"

Thank you for sharing this. It confirms that it's not on the Canadian account. That's disappointing but I guess it's better to figure it out beforehand...

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Sep 26 2021, 01:54:35 PM

Can anyone confirm if the Paramount+ portion will be viewable in Canada? We can subscribe to Paramount+ here, so I signed up, but we don't always get the same content as the US due to differences in licensing. I don't actually see any sign of the Tony Awards on any menu in the app - but is that the case for everyone?

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  May 19 2021, 12:05:27 PM

"And I think they gave away WAY too much information - like Connor's suicide. That is the first huge reveal in the show, and now it's out there in the trailer. So it totally takes away that first OMG moment. As some have said, they managed to tell basically the entire story in the trailer. To me a trailer should be a tease, not a reveal.)"

Any time anyone describes what the show is about, the brief description is usually something along the lines of "a t

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  May 19 2021, 11:58:47 AM

CT2NYC said: "I don't think it's a wig. This is from when he guest hosted Jimmy Kimmel last August, and I believe theystarted filming in September:"

He told Vanity Fair that he grew his hair out as part of his attempt to look younger. Curly hair looks much different when it's short vs grown out.  https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2021/05/dear-evan-hansen-trailer-ben-platt
Edit: Sorry, can't seem to figure how to fix the formatting. Also edited cause that came off kind of condescending...Sorry about that, too.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  May 19 2021, 11:31:42 AM

Everyone seems to have concluded that the hair is a wig, yet he told Vanity Fair that he grew his hair out for the film. Quote from the article: “But physically it was very much the same experience. I’d lost about 15 pounds and did a very specific diet, grew my hair out, and was shaving to make sure that I didn’t look like I had five o’clock shadow all the time, you know. I was just stripping myself into being a teenager for the last time. For what is hopefully the last time.”

Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2021/05/dear-evan-hansen-trailer-ben-platt

Could this be the end of live theater, period?  Apr 12 2020, 05:22:15 PM

Hopefully some things will stick, such as the emphasis on hand hygiene, covering your mouth when you cough/sneeze, limiting handshakes, and personal space. I visited NYC a few days before the shut down and it was rainy so there was a lot of "everyone squeeze in as close to each other as you can so that we can fit as many people as possible inside." I hope THAT changes. But to say that theatre or any other large gatherings will never return is ridiculous. They are deeply in

What’s the last show you saw on Broadway before its closing?  Mar 15 2020, 03:33:40 PM

Six on March 8. I also saw JLP, We're Gonna Die, Beetlejuice, Hadestown between March 6-8. Now I am in self-isolation back home in Toronto because on March 13, Toronto Public Health recommended that anyone who has been outside of the country in the last 14 days self-isolate.  

Six Rush or Lottery News  Mar 10 2020, 12:07:43 AM

GlenCoco said: "anybody rush this morning?"

I did - it's not "this morning" anymore but I am referring to Sunday, March 8, which you were asking about.

I arrived at 10:00 AM (box office opens at noon on Sunday) and was around 20th in line, with a huge line behind me. By the time my turn came, there was only partial view left. I got the Left Box A (front box). It was totally worth it - I just couldn't see the drummer who is at the back le

is anyone winning hadestown or moulin rouge lottery tix  Mar 1 2020, 01:53:15 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how hard/easy it has been to win Hadestown tickets lately? I will be in the city next weekend but it looks like the shows are almost sold out, so does that mean there will likely be very few lottery tickets? 

Relatives in Musicals  Feb 26 2020, 08:26:38 PM

When I saw The Wedding Singer on tour, the people playing Robbie and Julia were husband and wife. I had to look it up but their names were J. Michael Zygo and Jillian Zygo. 

THE LAST SHIP - STING  Jan 19 2020, 09:14:59 PM

I enjoyed it when I saw it in Toronto. The staging is cool and I liked the music. I thought the ending was kind of silly, but the show has heart. I would never have seen Sting perform otherwise, so that was cool, too. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You