News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Chuck012

Member Name: Chuck012
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The first time you stage-doored...
 Aug 5 2010, 04:15:24 PM
The first and only time I waited by a stage door was for Geraldine Page who replaced Margaret Leighton in Separate Tables. She was brilliant in that part. I was in the Air Force at the time and she asked where I was stationed. To my surprise she had noted down what I told her and the next Christmas I received a holiday card from her.
Your 1st Broadway show
 Jul 23 2010, 07:11:02 PM
"The Ramarkable Mr. Pennypacker" with Burgess Meredith and Martha Scott at the Coronet (now the Eugene O'Neil). I will ver forget the thrill of the curtain going up and the stage abaze with light.
The Best Understudy You Have Seen
 May 17 2010, 03:29:47 PM
"Shirley MacLaine for Carol Haney in the original production of Pajama Game."
You were there that night, Chuck012?

Yes, I was there. So was Hal Walis who signed Shirley to a movie contract.

It was my first Broadway musical (2nd balcony, St. James.) I saw Haney do "Steam Heat" on Ed Sullivan. Haney then broke her ankle and Shirley went on. I was devastated not to see Haney, but Shirley brought the house down. A great night all around. I still have the Playbill.

The Best Understudy You Have Seen
 May 16 2010, 01:48:59 PM
Shirley MacLaine for Carol Haney in the original production of Pajama Game.
Michele Obama AT Memphis Today
 Mar 22 2010, 12:31:51 PM
You poor constipated liberals. You just can't get over George. Also, I was listening to the debate and the protests. I did not hear the vulgar words attributed to the demonstrators. I sure Keith O., Rachel or Tim would have pounced on such a situation in an instant. Oh well, the President is not up for election in November but I am no sure he will enjoy working with the new, realistic leadership and having his brilliant AG explain to the Court why this legislation does not violate any number of
Broadway Playbills Going Back to 1942
 Mar 22 2010, 09:46:41 AM
I am very interested in a playbill for the The Remarkable Mister Pennypacker. It was my first B'way play and one of the few I do for which I do not have a copy. Quote a price. Thanks.
Michele Obama AT Memphis Today
 Mar 22 2010, 09:40:51 AM
It only cost the American taxpayers $100,000 to $200,000 for the planes, cars, security, etc. for this little excursion. But that's nothing compared to the billions her husband is driving future generations into debt for his Princess Pelosi social engineering
programs. Wait till November! The two of them will be in the TKS line very soon.

Theatre for View...Bridge Transfer
 Jan 27 2010, 06:05:28 PM
When is the Belasco renovation scheduled to be completed? I think this would be an ideal transfer location.
re: What Michael McKean said at SUPERIOR DONUTS curtain call Thurs. night
 Nov 6 2009, 11:28:22 AM
Carrie:

When you tune into O'Relly, Hannity et al you know what the subject matter is gong to be. Just as you Know that Keith Olberman and crew is going to say om MSNBC. My point is that an actor or author has every right to express their opinion. If it is in the context of the play that is fine. I just find it difficult to accept that a curtain call appeal for a charity is a professional way to express political opinions. Despite being a life long film fan, I long ago stopped watching

re: What Michael McKean said at SUPERIOR DONUTS curtain call Thurs. night
 Nov 6 2009, 10:50:03 AM
Based on this posting I sent the following to the Superior Donuts company:

I do not go to the theatre to listen to your actors political views. I do not always agree with Fox and the same goes for MSNBC. However, free speech in this country does not equate to Hitlerish association. (I assume Will Farrell is writing your curtain call remarks--and poor ones as was his recent Play (dare I call it play or diatribe). I am afraid I will have to cross you off my list of plays to see since I do

re: Okay, whats the greatest performance you've ever seen on stage?
 Jun 21 2009, 05:18:09 PM
Play: Paul Muni in the original production of Inherit the Wind
Musical: Ethel Merman or Mary Martin in any number of productions in the '50s and 60'.
Yes, I am 72

Henry Miller Theatre
 Jan 26 2009, 03:14:43 PM
Does anyone have udated information on when it will open? Is Roundabout still involved?
re: Phantom Sequel
 Dec 29 2008, 05:29:09 PM
Cindy Adam's recently was a guest of the Nedelander family in London. She reported they (the Nederlanders) were there for a workshop of Andrew Lloyd Weber's sequel to Phantom of the Opera. Someone should remind James Nederlander that he would have the perfect theater for such a production if his father had not sold the Mark Hellinger to the Times Square Church. From all reports the theater is still in perfect shape. Mr. Nederlander should buy back that theater and return it to the
historica

re: Has this ever happened to you inside any theater?
 Dec 26 2008, 07:11:48 PM
My experience was not a fire alarm but two women screaming louder than any possible alarm. I was attending a Wednesday matinee of "Witness for the Prosecution" at the old Henry Miller. I was in college and could only aford standing room. At the Henry Miller standing room was behind the last row of the first balcony. There was a metal railing that you leaned on--much like a wrought iron fence. If you wanted to see the whole set you sat on the floor--once the ushers left. I was so engossed in the
re: St James Theatre Balcony for Gypsy
 Nov 7 2008, 11:45:39 AM
When I first started going to the theatre I saw Hello Dolly, The Pajama Game, Luther, Barnum, etc. from the 2nd Balcony of the St. James. I never minded the climb or the view. It was all I could afford---other than standing room. The same held true at the Lyceum, Cort, Shubert, etc. We seem to have a new generation of theatre lovers who are out-of-shape and nearsighted
Next Show for Lyceum
 Oct 23 2008, 04:59:48 PM
Does anyone know which show will be coming to the Lyceum?
re: Shows That Had Out-Of-Town Runs In Los Angeles?
 Aug 10 2008, 03:42:17 PM
I saw Evita and Sunset Boulevard in LA during their pre-Broadway
engagements.

re: Shows that had their out of town try-out in DC
 Aug 8 2008, 07:41:58 PM
In 1959 & 1960 I was stationed in Washington at Andrews AFB. I saw numerous shows at the National and among them were the pre-Broadway tryouts of Irma La Douce, Cheri, Little Moon of Alban and The Good Soup.

I spent most of my theatre money at The Arena Stage when they played at the Old Vat (former brewery). Every month I saw a wide variety of classic and modern plays performed by a resident company of actors that then included Philip Bosco, Alan Openheimer, Joyce Ebert, etc. It was exc

re: If you could travel back in time and see ONE show...
 Aug 6 2008, 03:04:43 PM
The original production of Inherit the Wind at the National (Nederlander) with Paul Muni, Ed Begley (Sr) and Tony Randall. The magic of that production enraptured the audience and the memory of that matinee has never left me.
re: MARY STUART to arrive on Broadway in 2009
 Jul 15 2008, 05:08:05 PM
I saw the 1957 Phoenix Theatre production with Eva LeGallienne and Irene Worth. It was thrilling theatre down on 2nd Avenue and was confirmed to me by the 1958 tour that Ms. LeGallienne headed. I saw the tour while I was stationed in Washington, DC with the Air Force. If anyone enjoys grand, epic theatre you should not miss this rare opportunity.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You