pixeltracker

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 5:07am

I'll be at the first preview tonight! Is anyone else going?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince
Updated On: 7/4/23 at 05:07 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 5:10am

Yes! I'll be there.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Dylan Smith4
#3Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 5:12am

YAY! I'm really excited! I have never been to the first preview of any show before, so this is an exciting moment for me during my time in London!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 6:21am

Enjoy! First previews always have a certain energy/excitement being the first audience ever to experience the show* and usually full of enthusiastic fans. This show is particularly exciting as well as it's the kind of thing that could make it to New York one day. 

* excluding the 'out of town' run of course. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

OuttaTowner
#5Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 8:10am

I envy you both!

Desperately hoping that we eventually get a transfer here in NYC!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:24am

Fingers crossed this transfers to Broadway next year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#7Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:52am

Seeing this next month!

Dollypop
#8Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 12:02pm

ACL2006 said: "Fingers crossed this transfers to Broadway next year."

I texted Charlie about this a few weeks ago and he got back to me saying he's "heard talk" it's happening.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#9Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 12:18pm

Non sibi sed patriae

inception Profile Photo
inception
#10Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 12:33pm

Good choreo.

But the book of this show is a tired out P.O S   I made it through the first act of a good-ish local production stsrring a local TV celeb & his wife this Spring, but at intermission decided to just skip the rest. 

Dylan Smith4
#11Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 12:48pm

I’ll report details on the show later!

Dylan Smith4
#12Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 2:02pm

They have some special guests here! William Ivey Long just walked by me! 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 2:29pm

Is this an event ? Because Stemp isn’t much of a name in the US so they’d have to create some special buzz to get excitement going. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#14Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 3:10pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "They have some special guests here! William Ivey Long just walked by me!"

Not the point of this thread, but he's a grade A creep. And that's putting it nicely. 

Dylan Smith4
#15Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 4:01pm

It’s the Interval! HOLY HELL this is amazing! 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#16Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 5:00pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "They have some special guests here! William Ivey Long just walked by me!"

He's not a special guest. He's the costume designer of the show...

Dylan Smith4
#17Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 6:21pm

Tag said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "They have some special guests here! William Ivey Long just walked by me!"

He's not a special guest. He's the costume designer of the show...
"

I knew that but it was just cool to see him. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 6:24pm

The show was incredible - Stemp is even better now than he was at Chichester last year. It's just such a light, fun throwback of a show that I can't imagine anyone wanting to have a good time, not enjoying it. 

Now, that said - they need to fix the AC in there. We were HOT. Poor Stemp was drenched through his clothes by the end of the first number. I want to ask him how many times he had to change his shirts because they were soaked through every five minutes and his face for most of the show, looked like he had just done the ice bucket challenge. And myself and others around me weren't far from that, ourselves. It was miserable in there. If they were going for an immersive experience to make us feel like we were in the desert, it worked. 

But aside from that, a perfect night. Spoke to Susan Stroman at intermission and she seemed on cloud 9 with how the show was going. Hope it's a huge hit for her. And Charlie. :)

Dylan Smith4
#19Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 7:09pm

What a night! So much fun and WOW what a cast! Here are my thoughts below! 

★★★★★

What do you get when you mix Gershwin and Susan Stroman? The answer in this case is Crazy for You! First off, I have never been to a first preview performance of any show. Broadway or West End. The energy tonight was just insane! First off, Charlie Stemp! That man is so talented and has made a huge name for himself here in London at such a young age! Boy can that man dance! Stroman’s tap choreography is absolutely superb! I cannot agree that enough! Also, Carly Anderson! Wow oh wow! That woman can belt a number! Probably the best number was the Act 1 finale, “I Got Rhythm”! A number that I always love to listen to! Throughout it, I could hear the voice of Ethel Merman in the back of my head! I mean, she owned that song! No one could sing that better than her, but this cast was spectacular at it! There was a standing ovation afterwards! Overall, this was a fun, energetic, and classic evening of West End Theatre! Hopefully we can see this go to NYC soon! I know I’ve been saying that multiple times, but a bunch of the shows I have seen here are absolutely WORTHY of life outside London! Congrats to this incredible cast, crew and creative team! Bravo!

lapinitsa Profile Photo
lapinitsa
#20Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 10:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "The show was incredible - Stemp is even better now than he was at Chichester last year. "

Isn't he? He is crazy good!

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#21Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 10:32pm

I know this won't be popular but if this transfers, I hope Tony Yazbeck will be the lead. I am tired of British actors getting roles that should go to Americans.

Updated On: 6/24/23 at 10:32 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#22Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 10:44pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "What a night! So much fun and WOW what a cast! Here are my thoughts below!

★★★★★

What do you get when you mix Gershwin and Susan Stroman? The answer in this case is Crazy for You!
"

Just to correct the history...mixing Gershwin, Stroman and Mike Okrent!

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#23Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 1:19am

George in DC said: "I know this won't be popular but if this transfers, I hope Tony Yazbeck will be the lead. I am tired of British actors getting roles that should go to Americans.

"

And why 'should it' go to American if Stemp originates it in this transfer?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 3:12am

I hope they keep the choreography tight. The original Broadway production's tap was all over the place by the end of the run.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 4:45am

Trust me, no one wants to replace Charlie Stemp even if they think they do! He is the magnet and glue that is holding this whole show together. It's so rare that someone who is not really a 'name' or celebrity can really command an entire stage/show and bring such star presence. He is a great dancer, but his boyish charm and humour just elevate the whole thing to the next level. You can't take your eyes off him the whole time and when he isn't on stage he is sorely missed. In one reality I would be screaming for the show to transfer so he can win a Tony. My only slight tentativeness is that after seeing Charlie Stemp 3 times on stage now (Hello, Dolly; Marry Poppins; Crazy For You) I DO think his style/shtick starts to feel a little familiar. But it's no less impactful or impressive. 

As for the the evening and show, the heat didn't help but I did feel it was a bit long and slow and there is opportunity to pick up the pace a little at times. The physical production is serviceable/good if a little cheap/tacky feeling at points (super niche observation but it is very hard for me to look at those cheap FOLLIES costumes after seeing Gregg Barnes' Tony-winning costumes in the 2011 FOLLIES revival).

I could imagine the show slotting nicely into a future roundabout season. I think the star is Charlie and not the show in this case. 

Updated On: 6/25/23 at 04:45 AM