LATEST NEWS

Boy George in MR

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 1:03am

Anyone see? How he do?


"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

MrHermes1310
#2Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 2:40am

I wasnt there (seeing him March, if hes on) - but I side that question. Ive seen some material from the curtain call, and he seemed to miss several notes - and - even more obvious, cues.

Maybe it was just excitement or nerves, but he kinda seemed like he just didnt care enough to try to remember. I would really like to know if his whole performance was like this or if it was only the curtain call.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#3Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 2:43am

I heard it was... not great. 

They also posted a TikTok showing that they've added a couple Culture Club songs to the megamix. 

MrHermes1310
#4Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 2:51am

Lets see if he settles into the role since theatre isnt his background.

But still. The videos of the bows really had me thinking he just didnt care enough to actually try to do it right. Also, I kinda fear, he takes his personality and looks as an excuse to not give attention to detail acting wise, since „the obvious parallels“ are enough for that Zidler energy. I always love the little acting choices of all the Zidlers, theyre often so innovative - i fear Boy George might be up for a challenge…

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#5Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 5:18am

I know we have to watch what we say about BG on here for fear of censorship, but he does not appear to be in 'fighting shape".  

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#6Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 7:19am

A friend of me be who works on the show told me that he didn’t have a put-in until about a week ago, so who knows how much rehearsal he has had actually going into the show?

Im seeing it on Valentines Day but this worries me I fear. 

Also, did he stage door?


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

hearthemsing22
#7Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 9:20am

From big MR! fans who were most likely there for the return of Derek Klena and others, I have been hearing via social media that he was nooooot great. Also- there was nothing wrong with the megamix? I guess? before- why did they have to add his songs???? 


Do any of you stop to think about how you treat others? I have no problem blocking people :)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:26am

Lets see if he settles into the role since theatre isnt his background.

He wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the music for the musical TABOO. Plus, he not only starred as Leigh Bowery in the London and Broadway production but took part in the development of both incarnations of the musical, which were vastly different from each other.  He has a better understanding of what is involved in a musical than most actors performing on the West End and Broadway - on stage as an actor and behind-the-scenes. 


ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:27pm

I'd bet money that he doesn't do 8 shows/week.


A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 12:32pm

quizking101 said: "A friend of me be who works on the show told me that he didn’t have a put-in until about a week ago, so who knows how much rehearsal he has had actually going into the show?"

That timing is perfectly normal for a replacement going into a show. They rehearse in-studio for a few weeks with stage managers, associates, understudies, and sometimes the full-time principals, but they usually only get one shot at doing it with show conditions before making their debut. For a show as intricate as MR, I can't blame someone for having a rough first performance –– though I agree that the curtain call video looked quite poor. That any replacement can give a halfway decent performance their first night is kind of a miracle.

Updated On: 2/7/24 at 12:32 PM

SoCalDirector
#11Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 1:49pm

oh, really? I just read Charles Busch’s  autobiography, Leading Lady.  He wrote the book for Taboo.   He paints a much different portrait.  I’m not going to repeat what he said here, but buy the book.  I will say that he found the entire experience traumatic, and would never do another musical.


Miles Robert Mills

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#12Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 1:54pm

Like I said in the casting thread, he could barely handle standing and singing eight times a week 20 years ago, I did not have high hopes he could be maintain such an energetic role. I hate to be right. Hoping he gets better as he goes along.




"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 2:19pm

I find it disgusting they cast him.

I was a big fan and I love Taboo (though let's not pretend he was good in it) but this is a convicted felon who did something awful.


Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#14Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 3:32pm

I remember that bit in the Show Business documentary where the Avenue Q guys went to support Taboo and tried to introduce themselves to him and IIRC he absolutely could not be bothered, which spoke volumes. 

babykitty_00 Profile Photo
babykitty_00
#15Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 4:21pm

everythingtaboo said: "Like I said in the casting thread, he could barely handle standing and singing eight times a week 20 years ago, I did not have high hopes he could be maintain such an energetic role. I hate to be right. Hoping he gets better as he goes along."

You "hate to be right"?? after one show? Geez, give the guy a break. I doubt anyone is perfect after one show. Stepping into a hugely successful and long running show can be daunting for anyone. Give him a chance to get settled in. I'm sure it will get better.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#16Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 8:02pm

babykitty_00 said: "everythingtaboo said: "Like I said in the casting thread, he could barely handle standing and singing eight times a week 20 years ago, I did not have high hopes he could be maintain such an energetic role. I hate to be right. Hoping he gets better as he goes along."

You "hate to be right"?? after one show? Geez, give the guy a break. I doubt anyone is perfect after one show. Stepping into a hugely successful and long running show can be daunting for anyone. Give him a chance to get settled in. I'm sure it will get better.
"

Highlighting the relevant part of my post.

For the sake of the show I love, I hope he gets better, at the very least so he doesn't drag the show down.




"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

MemorableUserName
#17Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:17pm

 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#18Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:29pm

That clip is awful.


Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#19Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:44pm

…What is that face beat? Why does he look like Bette Davis? 
 

(said with my apologies to Bette Davis)


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#20Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 10:49pm

Ugh. Does MR really need him that badly?  Grosses can't be down this much.

He cracks and blows out on his notes:  It's well-known he had frayed vocal chords a number of years back, so I'm wondering why he was put into this in the first place.

BG's atrocious personal history aside, perhaps I'll wait until Eric Anderson is back.  He is a brilliant Zidler.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#21Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 10:53pm

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Ugh. Does MR really need him that badly? Grosses can't be down this much.

He cracks and blows out on his notes: It's well-known he had frayed vocal chords a number of years back, so I'm wondering why he was put into this in the first place.

BG's atrocious personal history aside, perhaps I'll wait until Eric Anderson is back. He is a brilliant Zidler.
"

Eric Anderson is joining GATSBY as Meyer Wolfsheim (the only new cast member not from Papermill) so he won’t be back any time soon unless that folds like an origami swan.

It could also be a situation like how CHICAGO leans on Charlotte D’Amboise - coming in as the steadfast player for a role and getting leave to do other projects or take a break when they get a star/stunt cast coming in


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#22Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:02pm

Are the words "Moulin Rouge" seriously that difficult to type? People can blab and blab and blab but they are only able to type the initials of the show they are talking about? 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#23Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:46pm

quizking101 said: 
It could also be a situation like how CHICAGO leans on Charlotte D’Amboise - coming in as the steadfast player for a role and getting leave to do other projects or take a break when they get a star/stunt cast coming in"

D'Amboise as Zidler?  (More likely her spouse, Terrence Mann, who would be terrific. Is he done with filming Foundation? Is he really 72?)

QueenTwinnied
#24Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:47pm

Woof that clip is atrocious

QueenTwinnied
#25Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:48pm

Matt Rogers said: "Are the words "Moulin Rouge" seriously that difficult to type? People can blab and blab and blab but they are only able to type the initials of the show they are talking about?"

You sure blab blab blab a lot about something so inconsequential. Chill out


Latest Posts