News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GreenSharpie

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
Member Name: GreenSharpie
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Stars in ABC's Miniseries "When We Rise"
 Mar 4 2017, 04:46:15 AM

This week ABC's 8-part miniseries "When We Rise" (which chronicles the LGBT rights movement) by Dustin Lance Black starred young Broadway stars Austin McKenzie (Melchior Gabor in Deaf West's Spring Awakening) as young Cleve Jones and Emily Skeggs (Medium Alison in Fun Home) as young Roma Guy, as well as Bway veteran Mary-Louise Parker as the older Roma Guy. Did anyone else catch the series?

I thought the young actors in particular did Broadway proud. I would love

Film adaptation of Stephen Karam's Speech and Debate gets release date - April 2017
 Jan 27 2017, 09:17:09 PM

theatregoer3 said: "I'm worried this isn't very good since it did not premiere at any notable film festivals and is going straight to VOD."

It looks like Vertical Pictures is partnering on the distribution, and they produced "Other People" which is a fantastic film... maybe that's a good sign? But yeah, the fact it didn't get into any film festivals is not great..

I'm going to see this either way just for the cool cameos..

rockettes Not Being Forced To perform at the Dons inauguration
 Jan 4 2017, 11:02:40 AM

^ Precisely because he's their idiot owner. I don't want to support anything that he owns.

rockettes Not Being Forced To perform at the Dons inauguration
 Jan 4 2017, 12:38:58 AM

Marie Claire Gets Ahold of Tape in Which Executive Tells Rockettes to "Tolerate Intolerance"

http://www.marieclaire.com/politics/a24518/rockette-donald-trump-inauguration-james-dolan/

"Dolan made lengthy appeals to the employees gathered—some of whom were noticeably upset when speaking up and asking questions—that the Rockettes are a family.

'And you are diverse,' he said, 'as diverse as we can make the Rockettes while still holding up the standards of quality.'"

Wow this is absolutely disgusting. The Rockettes are maybe 10% POC, what is he saying?! I refuse to ever go to a Rockettes show after this debacle.

The rockettes to perform at the Dons inauguration
 Dec 23 2016, 09:28:15 PM

After Eight said: "Dramamama611 wrote:

"Why does everyone keep suggesting that THEY don't want to....no one knows how many of them are concerned about this."

The statement from Madison Square Garden as reported on BWW includes the following:

"In fact, for the coming inauguration, we had more Rockettes request to participate than we have slots available."
"

That claim by MSG sounds fake, but okay.

Dec 23 2016, 06:24:21 PM

MoDance0934 said: "Most of you on this board are really living up to the "whiny liberal" stereotype. Before you all make your judgements, I will make this abundantely clear: I'm in no way a fan of Donald Trump. Never have been.

But would I ever boycott the Rockettes? Absolutely not. It's an honor for them to be making an inaugural performance. I'm sure they'd perform for Hillary Clinton if she were elected. Their performance is in no way

Dec 23 2016, 01:15:06 PM

There's something very fishy about the MSG statement.

Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
 Dec 5 2016, 12:30:22 PM

singingbackup said: "Out of all the great talent in Los Angeles, how did we get saddled with MA as artist-in-residence? "

Don't be ridiculous. He might have bitten off more than he can chew with "Merrily" - he certainly wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

And sorry but you're kidding yourself if you think the book is perfect as-is. The songs are perfect. The book is another story.

A Bronx Tale on Broadway
 Oct 23 2016, 02:23:02 AM

Maybe my newfound infatuation with Bobby Conte Thornton is blinding me, but I just see a good time.. what's turning you off about it?

A Bronx Tale on Broadway
 Oct 22 2016, 11:30:20 PM

What, really? I think it looks so fun!

These videos are better quality (sorry BWay World..):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVeEPb8tdiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kye3zCKZ0xM

Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
 Oct 19 2016, 12:10:16 PM

I personally think it's good that Titus Burgess has been "developed out." I don't think he's a good fit for Charley, whereas Wayne Brady is perfect for the role.

It's too bad about Marissa Winouker, but I love Donna Vivino and think she is so underrated. She'll be a great Mary.

Arden Directing Merrily: Burgess, Kazee and Winokur Star in Reading
 Oct 18 2016, 01:05:14 PM

The cast has been announced:

http://www.playbill.com/article/wayne-brady-aaron-lazar-saycon-sengbloh-cast-in-west-coast-merrily

Aaron Lazar (Frank)

Wayne Brady (Charley)

Donna Vivino (Mary)

Whitney Bashor (Beth)

Saycon Sengbloh (Gussie)

Amir Talai (Joe Josephson)

Thoughts?

Theater in LA
 Sep 13 2016, 09:59:13 PM

Agreed, A View from the Bridge was SO GOOD. Great tour cast, and I'm so glad I scored the $25 on-stage seats early on. Incredible experience.

Has anyone seen 'All the Way' at South Coast Rep? I'm considering going because I missed it on Broadway... did it ever come to the LA area before this?

Michael Arden's My Fair Lady in Sag Harbor
 Sep 8 2016, 12:46:29 AM

Your responses are super insightful, thank you!!

Sep 7 2016, 09:51:00 AM

Thank you for the response, FiddleMeThis! That does sound lovely... Did you have any thoughts about Bobby Conte Thornton as Freddy? I've been a bit fascinated with him since I watched the videos of his 54 Below performance.

Sep 6 2016, 01:02:11 AM

I didn't end up seeing it, (and I'm kind of regretting it)..  but I know at least two on this board were planning to based on this thread- thoughts?

Also how was Bobby Conte Thornton as Freddy? (He's going to make his Broadway debut soon starring in A Bronx Tale).

A BRONX TALE Casting Announced!
 Sep 3 2016, 11:58:39 AM

I knew I heard Bobby Conte Thornton's name before- he's playing Freddy in Michael Arden's My Fair Lady at Sag Harbor right now. I haven't seen it, but every review I read raved about him specifically - that his performance 'literally stopped the show' (src) and that he might have the greatest voice in the company (src), etc. Sounds promising!

Also on a silly note, this photo of him um fascinates me.. is that his.. leg.. (scroll down)?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-In-Rehearsal-for-Bay-Street-Theaters-MY-FAIR-LADY-with-Paul-Alexander-Nolan-Kelli-Barrett-More-20160711

ABC Getting into live musicals game?
 Sep 3 2016, 11:37:00 AM

They already announced that they will be collaborating with LA's 'For the Record Live' on this:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/for-the-record-live-tv-musical-abc-dick-clark-1201792211/

FTR's cabaret-style works are based on the music in one director's films (they've done Baz Luhrmann, Scorsese, Tarantino, John Hughes, etc). I haven't seen them perform yet, but I've heard really good things. Their Baz Luhrmann production has transferred to Las Vegas recently.

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
 Aug 31 2016, 11:55:44 AM

Cynthia Erivo tweeted that she would be down to do the reading for this.. I wonder how serious she's being?

https://twitter.com/cynthiaerivo/status/770657865111572486

Aug 14 2016, 07:54:54 PM

... So no one here has actually seen this production? The video is badly edited and filmed from far away, I don't think we can judge thoroughly based on that. Was hoping for any first-hand accounts!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You