News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for The Distinctive Baritone

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
Member Name: The Distinctive Baritone
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a regionally-based theatre actor, director, and educator.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
 Jun 20 2024, 02:16:26 PM

There are at least three or four Phantom of the Opera musicials, one of which is one of the most famous and successful musicals in the world. I can’t imagine anyone attempting to make another one. It must be the ALW version.

"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
 Jun 20 2024, 05:44:45 AM

This seems a million times more interesting than a scaled-down proscenium stage revival. I’m excited.

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 18 2024, 04:00:23 PM

chrishuyen said: "If you're not in the US it's possible they could've restricted it to a specific region, in which case I'd suggest trying a VPN"

I am in France right now. I guess that explains it, thanks!

Jun 18 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Everything has been removed 😟

Jun 18 2024, 02:00:10 PM

I wasn’t able to watch the ceremony…and I can’t find performances and acceptance speeches online. Any leads?

FLOYD COLLINS to be given Broadway revival by Lincoln Center
 Jun 11 2024, 12:28:23 PM

Pasquale is 47, but looks younger…I mean he recently played Booth in Assasins, who was 27. If it wasn’t for Google, I’d guess Pasquale is in his mid-late thirties. If the rumor is true, he’ll be fine.

FLOYD COLLINS to be given Broadway revival by Lincoln Center
 Jun 10 2024, 01:55:49 PM

Steve Pasquale doing Midnight in the Garden at the Goodman would not conflict, since the show is happening now…and there’s no guarantee it will transfer to Broadway anyway.

Why Aren't Theatre History Classes Mandatory for High Schools?
 Jun 7 2024, 01:00:10 AM

How did I miss this thread earlier? I am a drama teacher (high school and middle school), and I teach all of my students basic theatre history. It bores them to death, but I do it anyway, because history is important! And they still get to play lots of dumb theatre games too, so it all works out.

Phantom Revival - What Happened?
 Jun 4 2024, 03:18:10 PM

I am one of those people who was really, really sad about Phantom closing, but I don’t want it back on Broadway in a cheaper, reduced form. Let us remember it how it was. Macintosh should also let it go to regional theatres (Les Miz too - more of them anyway). He needs to retire and stop scheming to make more money. How much more does he need?

National Tour Vs Regional Theatre
 Jun 2 2024, 03:26:00 PM

It's also important to note that "regional theatre" is on a very broad spectrum of professionalism, from semi-pro organizations such as the storefront theaters of Chicago to the big LORT theaters like The Guthrie. Theatre that is strictly amateur - community and educational theatre - is an entirely different ball of wax.

JOB transferring to Broadway at the Hayes; Peter Friedman and Sydney Lemmon reprising roles
 May 28 2024, 11:14:05 PM

Sydney Lemmon is Jack Lemmon’s granddaughter?!? NEPOTISM! HOW DARE THEY! CANCEL THE WHOLE PRODUCTION RIGHT NOW!

< sarcasm >

What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
 May 24 2024, 01:50:21 AM

Phantom - my first Broadway show. I was seven years old and I saw it probably about a year and a half after it opened. I went on to see it three more times, and probably would have gone far more had I stayed in New York. It’s probably because of that show that I am in the theater.

Other great memories:

The original Les Miz

Miss Saigon (I know now why it’s problematic, but to a fifteen year-old in the 1990’s it was epic and gut-wrenching)

Jekyll an

Bug at Steppenwolf
 May 21 2024, 11:36:54 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: “this doesn’t appear to be the Steppenwolf production since David Cromer is directing. They would definitely need a big movie star for it to sell on Broadway.

David Cromer did direct Bug at Steppenwolf
"

You’re right, I stand corrected. I thought Randall Arney directed it, but I was thinking of Namir Smallwood in True West. 

Bug at Steppenwolf
 May 21 2024, 07:40:07 PM

I generally like Tracy Letts’ plays, but I just don’t get the appeal of Bug. I have not seen it live though, maybe it’s best experienced that way. Regardless, this doesn’t appear to be the Steppenwolf production since David Cromer is directing. They would definitely need a big movie star for it to sell on Broadway. I agree that Nicholas Cage would have been great thirty years ago, but the character is supposed to be in his twenties or early thirties.
<

Disney will launch North American tour of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in 2025, Broadway stop next?
 May 21 2024, 12:49:53 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say.

Disney will launch North American tour of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in 2025, Broadway stop next?
 May 21 2024, 12:22:34 PM

Well, no, Matt West has actually had quite a career, from being the original Bobby in A Chorus Line to choreographing the original production of BATB and its many tours and international productions. He graduated to director-choreographer for the recent UK tour of BATB, so I'm guessing this tour will more or less be a replica of that.

May 21 2024, 12:03:58 PM

Yes, I just saw the ECC on the AEA site. $1,467 a week minimum, which was on par with a Broadway production like, ten years ago...

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 20 2024, 03:42:20 PM

I forecast a small, non-Equity, semi-pro company in Chicago and/or San Francisco working with the authors on a (very) slightly reworked version, to be presented in a storefront theatre in the near future. It will indeed have a minor cult following for years to come.

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 19 2024, 10:02:53 PM

I agree that both Gould and Chavkin’s speeches are embarrassing.

”Keep supporting work where you see yourself.” Yes, totally. Agreed. Also, please support work where you DON’T see yourself, because not everything is about you.

You know what one of my favorite plays is? A Doll’s House. Not because I’m an emotionally suffocated, 19th century housewife, but because it’s a great friggin play.

Representation is important. Absolutely. B

2024 Drama League Award Thoughts
 May 18 2024, 01:09:13 AM

Looks like the Drama League had no notes for Sarah Paulson.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You