News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for The Distinctive Baritone

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
Member Name: The Distinctive Baritone
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a regionally-based theatre actor, director, and educator.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update  May 3 2024, 10:23:20 PM

Close is just jealous that Nicole Scherzinger is getting so much praise for “her” role. Let it go, girl. “Nothing’s wrong with being eighty - unless you’re acting fifty!”

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 05:02:21 PM

The character of Rafaela is a fictional composite, and from what I gather, the main storyline about being “in love with two people at the same time” is pretty much made up, so that’s pretty glaring, I’d say. It had some good songs though.

LEMPICKA Reviews  May 1 2024, 11:22:37 PM

In fairness, Gould and Kreitzer wrote the show, and not all writers are willing and able to have their work “shaped” in the way that Chavkin guided Hadestown and Great Comet to Broadway. Directing a new musical or play does sometimes involve being a dramaturg or kind of ghost writer or “silent partner,” but not necessarily. Every collaboration is going to be different.

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 12:47:09 PM

I'm not sure how often Sondheim wrote for specific actors. I remember reading that he wrote the title role in Sweeney Todd with Len Cariou in mind after working with him on A Little Night Music, but I would be interested to find out how much his original actors' vocal ranges affected his writing. I believe that most famously, "Send in the Clowns" was written after Glynis Johns had been cast and was already in rehearsals and/or w

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 12:07:08 PM

As a bass-baritone, I would argue that for men, Sondheim was the last major composer to really write for baritones. I think part of this was because he very lyric/character-driven, with many of his principal male characters not even requiring a singer with a "great" voice, but an actor who happens to sing well and knows how to interpret a song. Most men are baritones, and require training to sing higher than a D or E. Not all Sondheim roles (male or female) require highly train

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  Apr 30 2024, 01:45:25 PM

Grosses from last week are out and listed HERE

New shows playing at obviously below-the-nut (in some case, very, very below) include:

Lempica ($288K...yikes)

Heart of Rock and Roll ($371K...another yikes))

Illinoise ($728K...not bad but not good either)

Suffs ($630K)

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:53:08 PM

kidmanboy said: "Given only Suffs' new elements were eligible, I take their slate of nominations as a huge accomplishment. It would seem they pretty much got in everywhere they could. I'm curious what the ruling was for text eligibility since music was nominated. Wonder if it was also eligible in book and lyrics."

I looked up last year's Drama Desk nominations, and Suffs wasn't nominated for anything. So it really was shut out o

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:27:09 PM

MemorableUserName said: "I noticed in TimeOut's (fake) "TONY" nominations they cited Esper in Featured Actor in a Play instead of Stoll. Now the Drama Desk nominations have done the same. Stoll still seems more likely for the Tony nod...or maybe not?"

Corey Stoll is a great actor, but IMO he has one of the least interesting role in Appropriate. Esper has much more of an awards-bait kind of part I think.

Suffs <

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024  Apr 26 2024, 05:55:26 PM

I really don’t get how Astrov is considered a leading role but Sonia and Yelena are not. Aside from his long monologue about trees his part is the same size as the other principals’.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 25 2024, 09:24:13 AM

With Eden’s several missed performances since opening, will enough nominators have seen her for her to make the cut? I hope she gets a nomination, especially since who knows what her career is going to look like after this thing closes. I genuinely feel bad for her. 

MARY JANE Reviews  Apr 23 2024, 10:25:20 PM

Looks like Sarah Paulson now has some real competition for the Tony.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 23 2024, 10:18:34 PM

I have played both Cliff and Ernst, and there is nothing in the text that suggests Ernst is attracted to Cliff. However, I distinctly remember in the Mendes production Denis O’Hare adding a sexual subtext to lines like “We make a large whoopee,” etc. It made zero sense, but O’Hare is such a great actor that it somehow worked. When was that? 1998? Strange what we remember about plays we see.

Anyway, this is not the first professional production of Cabaret

Lempicka false advertising  Apr 23 2024, 12:40:23 PM

Looking at the grosses from the past couple of weeks, there is sadly no way Lempicka is not going to post a closing notice immediately after the Tony nominations are announced a week from today. The grosses have been in the $300K's, which is absolutely abysmal, especially for a musical: Broadway Grosses.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 09:28:04 PM

Robbie2 said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "I think it’s somewhat unfair to negatively compare Eden’s performance to Mariand’s in regards to pitch etc. since Eden clearly has vocal fatigue from a role that makes singing Elphaba eight times a week look like a walk in the park. Also, in the bootleg I heard of Mariand’s “Woman Is,” she actually does gopainfully flaton one of the big screaming high notes - not that I can blame her, since th

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 07:25:15 PM

Poor Gayle Rankin is, I’m sure, doing exactly what the director told her to do. There is no reason to speculate that she will be replaced prior to her scheduled departure date. Some of the reviews have even commented on how they think she could have been a better Sally if she was allowed to play the role without so much directorial mismanagement.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 21 2024, 06:23:18 PM

I think it’s somewhat unfair to negatively compare Eden’s performance to Mariand’s in regards to pitch etc. since Eden clearly has vocal fatigue from a role that makes singing Elphaba eight times a week look like a walk in the park. Also, in the bootleg I heard of Mariand’s “Woman Is,” she actually does go painfully flat on one of the big screaming high notes - not that I can blame her, since the song is just insanely (and unnecessarily) high.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 11:51:35 PM

I had to look up who Greg Nubile is. A producer on Enemy of the People and last year’s Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window is dunking on stars in plays? What?

And Michael Schulman for the win. He’s funny AND correct.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 10:48:00 PM

I didn’t say it was a pan, I said it was negative. He praised the actors but said in the kindest way possible that the material is not very good. But I supppse it is probably more mixed, overall.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 10:04:07 PM

Variety is negative:

Variety review

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024  Apr 9 2024, 10:16:56 PM

Interesting that both musical versions cast boyish tenors (and Tonys in the two most recent WSS revivals) in the title role. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You