News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for The Distinctive Baritone

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
Member Name: The Distinctive Baritone
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a regionally-based theatre actor, director, and educator.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 23 2024, 08:46:04 PM

Does anyone remember if F. Murray Abraham sang well in the musical Triumph of Love back in the late 90’s?

Even if his singing voice was once passable (he has a great speaking voice), he is 84 and perhaps they realized in rehearsals that his days of singing professionally are over and subsequently cut his songs.

Report: The Phantom of the Opera May Be Readying an Off-Broadway Return
 Jul 20 2024, 12:59:47 AM

BorisTomashevsky said: "Does anyone have friends who are being auditioned right now? Is it the ALW Phantom material they’re singing? Or some other version?"

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that longtime Phantom understudy Jeremy Stolle was involved in a workshop of it. From what I’ve read it is indeed the ALW version. The thinly veiled casting notice from a few weeks back confirms it I think.

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 9 2024, 11:17:24 AM

Reading between the lines of the review - which, having become very familiar with Jones’ work over the past 20 years, I can say was obviously written to be as kind and supportive as possible - he’s basically saying what people in the board have: it’s a mess, and not ready for Broadway, but the score is interesting and Ghee is fantastic.

This link should have no paywall: Chris Jones Tribune review

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jul 7 2024, 06:01:09 PM

east side story said: "After seeing a preview performance of The Producers, David Geffen allegedly told the creative team that they had a “huge hit on (their) hands, but one major problem. You’ve got to fire Broderick.”

I saw the original cast in previews and also thought that Broderick was the weak link. I was surprised when the reviews came out and everyone praised him.

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 7 2024, 04:09:11 PM

Well, Chris Jones seems to very much see himself as a “show doctor” for pre-Broadway tryouts, and although he has showered a lot of praise on some of these productions over the years, he has written a few “constructive” reviews that are mixed or mostly negative.

That said, he gets attacked a lot in the Chicago theatre community for being a supposedly out-of-touch, old, straight white guy, and he may be afraid to be too critical of a show that is clearly jumping

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jul 7 2024, 10:05:02 AM

Reed Birney is almost 70…

Of the list provided, Jefferson Mays seems the most “Herbie-ish” to me, and the most believable as a romantic partner to Audra.

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 5 2024, 04:40:22 PM

I don’t think anyone has mentioned The Weir and Shining City by Connor McPherson. Both are more “creepy” than scary, although the end of Shining City contains a highly effective jump scare.

Changing Keys for Performers is So Cool
 Jun 29 2024, 11:27:39 AM

I read the entire original post in less than a minute. Some of you have no attention span (and are very rude).

Jun 28 2024, 01:32:52 PM

Ah. So she is functioning kind of like the Emcee in Cabaret? Interesting. Wish I still lived in Chicago and could see it.

Jun 28 2024, 12:42:21 PM

Reading Chris Jones' publicity piece on the show in the Chicago Tribune is pretty enlightening. Taylor Mac explains how Lady Chablis is the most interesting character in the book to them, and they were compelled to give her the focus. This seems to me like the Christopher Sergel version of To Kill a Mockingbird, where Mrs. Dubois - a minor character from the book - is the onstage narrator and has these long direct address monologues, and it's like, "Why does this random

Jun 27 2024, 08:29:08 PM

FWIW, Jim Williams was in his fifties during the events of the book. Tom Hewitt is about a decade too old for the role - although Pasquale would have read as too young I think. But yeah, Williams was around thirty years older than Danny. 

Jun 27 2024, 06:08:44 PM

I’m disappointed to hear these mixed early reports. Why are they focusing the show on Lady Chablis? This makes no sense to me. Maybe that’s why Steven Pasquale dropped out - he thought he was playing the lead, and they turned the lead into a supporting role. The book has a lot of characters, but it’s mostly about Jim Williams.

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
 Jun 26 2024, 07:32:06 PM

I think that Borle’s Tony winning performance as Black Stache shows that he can do camp just fine!

I am now curious if Borle got the money Rannels was asking for but the producers wouldn’t give him. Borle is a bigger star with two Tony Awards, so I’m guessing…yes. I even have to wonder if Borle had expressed interest in the role during Rannels’ negotiations, which is why they were willing to let him walk away…

Sam Mendes to direct new Jack Thorne-penned play about the Richard Burton/John Gielgud 'Hamlet'
 Jun 23 2024, 06:00:42 AM

Do Americans know or care enough about the Burton-Gielgud production to go see this? As a Shakespeare person I’m in the target demographic, but am not sure how interested I would be… 

"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
 Jun 20 2024, 02:16:26 PM

There are at least three or four Phantom of the Opera musicials, one of which is one of the most famous and successful musicals in the world. I can’t imagine anyone attempting to make another one. It must be the ALW version.

"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
 Jun 20 2024, 05:44:45 AM

This seems a million times more interesting than a scaled-down proscenium stage revival. I’m excited.

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 18 2024, 04:00:23 PM

chrishuyen said: "If you're not in the US it's possible they could've restricted it to a specific region, in which case I'd suggest trying a VPN"

I am in France right now. I guess that explains it, thanks!

Jun 18 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Everything has been removed 😟

Jun 18 2024, 02:00:10 PM

I wasn’t able to watch the ceremony…and I can’t find performances and acceptance speeches online. Any leads?

FLOYD COLLINS to be given Broadway revival by Lincoln Center
 Jun 11 2024, 12:28:23 PM

Pasquale is 47, but looks younger…I mean he recently played Booth in Assasins, who was 27. If it wasn’t for Google, I’d guess Pasquale is in his mid-late thirties. If the rumor is true, he’ll be fine.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You